Author Topic: Let's make a concerted effort  (Read 44716 times)

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Let's make a concerted effort
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2018, 02:14:35 AM »
Yes we are finding July rather hot now, so may have to look at changing that. Do you think May or September would be the best time to go, in your opinion? :)

Couldn't agree more Karen, we're finding July and August too hot now as well. Previously been in May and June and though the evenings were a bit chilly in May you still only need a light jumper or cardy we're not talking a coat here. I must admit I enjoyed both trips more than peak times when it can be high 20's during the night and thats far too hot. I need my sleep. 
When God created Wales he was just showing off

Offline WINKIE

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2018, 11:34:20 AM »
Fedra again for us in June, way too hot in July August for us oldies. Always get a big hug and sloppy kiss from Princess Harri,and a man hug from her" boy" Dimitri.
If its not one thing,its your mother.

Offline maggiesaes

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2018, 01:01:38 PM »
It is good to stay 'live' as it were because we never forget the village during the winter in the UK.
We talk about it here almost every day looking forward and back and I have many viber messages from our taxi driver with photos of their family in Pavliana who we visit for a family/village feast every time we are over.
They always ask us to stay nearer to them but we can't bear to go anywhere else but San Steph.   

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2018, 06:20:10 PM »
Couldn't agree more Karen, we're finding July and August too hot now as well. Previously been in May and June and though the evenings were a bit chilly in May you still only need a light jumper or cardy we're not talking a coat here. I must admit I enjoyed both trips more than peak times when it can be high 20's during the night and thats far too hot. I need my sleep.

The first time we went, we went in May, daytime was just right, but yes the evenings could be chilly.  For the last couple of years there have been a couple of days where we haven't moved far from the apartment, because of the heat.

Offline Richard/Jackie/Nathan

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2018, 11:24:53 AM »
We go June and end of August/beginning September as July and early August are too hot for us - not so much the daytimes but the evenings.

Offline maggiesaes

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2018, 12:58:13 PM »
I miss going in October.Everywhere is closed so early now that October is almost wiped out but we used to be there until the end of the month.

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2018, 03:53:41 PM »
I miss going in October.Everywhere is closed so early now that October is almost wiped out but we used to be there until the end of the month.

Why are places shutting so early in October when there's clearly still a market? This happened this year as well. Is it a flight thing?

:-\Seems a strange thing to do.
When God created Wales he was just showing off

Offline maggiesaes

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2018, 12:56:40 PM »
I don't know but we've seen the season get shorter and shorter over the past 5 or 6 years.
Flights back here to Cardiff are on the last Friday of October so that isn't the problem.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2018, 04:01:41 PM »
Why are places shutting so early in October when there's clearly still a market? This happened this year as well. Is it a flight thing?

We left on October 5th and by that time the owners were desperate to close. They were pretty well exhausted after working 7 days a week since May. Jet2 stop flights before TUI, but after the end of the first week in October the UK airports are more and more constricted in choice. And really, when we left the place was well en-route to becoming a ghost town. Tavernas close day by day. By (say) October 12th only a handful of places are open, so the population gets more and more concentrated in the available venues.

TUI have been known to book two people into some apartments into late October. This is NOT popular. Staff have to be kept on and the outgoings are probably less than the income. So to keep the season going longer would mean (a) flights and (b) lots of people making it worthwhile.

In October, lovely Maria told me all she wanted to do was move to her flat in Corfu Town, lie in bed, watch TV and eat chocolates. Says it all, I think.

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2018, 07:24:39 PM »
Couldn't agree more Jim, they work so hard during the season and before and after.

Offline maggiesaes

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 05, 2018, 01:10:29 PM »
Yes they do get tired of course it is hard work in the heat,but losing almost a month's business ,makes life hard on them too.
Thomas Bay Hotel was open until the third week in October I believe but visitors do still want to be able to go to other places other than the hotel for refreshment entertainment.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 05, 2018, 04:35:19 PM »
Yes, Maggie, but Thomas Bay in October usually has TUI cruise people. They have meals at TB included. Keeping a taverna staffed with chef and waiters on the random chance that a few TB people might want a decent meal doesn't really sound like very good economics - you would probably lose money!

Offline maggiesaes

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2018, 01:31:06 PM »
Yes that's what Yannis in 2 Star says it's not worth staying open and he's right.
We are something of an oddity but when we stay in Thomas Bay and we have many many times we eat out at least 4 times a week .We went there when it first opened as a hotel because we liked the staff and we like having breakfast and a meal available if we want it,and 24 hour reception.
Heather was a Thompson rep then.

Before the cruise and stay and adults only at the hotel it was quite a different atmosphere and cruise and stay has stopped now but I think it is a bit too late,the people who go seem to not leave the hotel for much.

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2018, 04:56:23 PM »
It's a difficult one!!!, 2 years ago when I was working up at Vicky's we had a full house 56 persons until end of October along with other owners in resort with both ours and  independent guests along with other tour ops in resort but not like high season.  However as a resort in high season with so many choices I think there are maybe 27 tavernas, bars etc open - how to serve a small amount of persons.  In fairness many stayed open to support us and others at least to mid October but our guests were unhappy as they didn't have everything open and we (or our then tour operator) ended up having to transfer several, well almost half the guests to Sidari which is in fairness open almost all year round as they have a big expat community living there so many more outlets stay open and more choice. Our guests really didn't want to leave the resort but as a resort we didn't meet their expectations. Those that stayed really enjoyed the walks, weather was beautiful and really more authentic side of Corfu, Greece......... It's a catch 22.   

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2018, 07:46:30 PM »
I can fully understand that Lesley.  We would probably enjoy the quietness ourselves, as long as we could still get a good meal and somewhere to have a drink at night. :)

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni