Author Topic: Let's make a concerted effort  (Read 44913 times)

Offline AndrewK

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
Let's make a concerted effort
« on: November 22, 2018, 01:03:34 PM »
When I first visited this site shortly after my first holiday in San Stefanos many years ago, it seemed to be thriving and full of vibrant opinions.
But of late it has become hardly used for days at a time which really is a great shame.
So the time has come to breathe some new life into the place.
I am not normally a regular on these types of sites but am going to make this one the exception to the rule through the winter months and into the spring and summer!

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Let's make a concerted effort
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2018, 03:02:26 PM »
I agree Andrew. One of the first things I do each day,after checking my emails, is have a look at the San Stefanos webcam and say to my husband "it's a nice day in Agios Stefanos today" or "looks a bit stormy there".
But it's disappointing that there's nothing interesting to read and apart from the few people who keep the Word Association going the Forum looks like it's dying.

Offline Kernock

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2018, 06:46:21 PM »
Not being a Facebook or other social media user I too miss the forum news and views.  We are going over for a week at the end of May and again for 21 of us at the start of the school holidays in July.  Although I booked EasyJet flights on the first morning they were released the cost per seat was a bit eye watering but that's what you get with having to book a peak times.  I am, however, talking now with my son and other family members about getting into the village and having the fish and meat lunch at Waves that Angelos serves so well and Manthos in the evening.  All washed down with some Mythos and Retsina whichever takes our fancy.  It takes the mind off Brexit and the bitter East wind we are experiencing today!

Offline maggiesaes

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2018, 08:58:04 PM »
I agree it's a shame it goes SO quiet after the season.
I don't do FB or twitter so I miss out totally too.I have a game in the Yammas but it's all quiet.
Roll on May.

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2018, 01:54:31 AM »
I even think its quiet on here during the season not alone after it. I don't do social media so its this forum or nothing
When God created Wales he was just showing off

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2018, 01:55:31 AM »
p.s. the word association thread is a nonsense

Offline WINKIE

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2018, 06:53:17 PM »
Yep, Facebook has blown the forum out of the water,so sad.  :'( :'(
If its not one thing,its your mother.

Offline carl nottingham

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 10:00:22 PM »
I can't agree more i don't use facebook only use the forum to get updates on whats happening enjoyed reading hippopots daily updates which they no longer do.

Offline AndrewK

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2018, 01:11:02 PM »
Yeah, the Hippopots people started fairly regular updates last spring/summer but then stopped - a bit surprising, as it was probably good PR for their business.

Anyway last summer the likes of Ozzy Oils and the old Two Stars site (which had been the nattily named Captain Octopus for one season) were both empty.

Also just standing there was the old Mythica (opposite Yiannis restaurant) and that has not been used for a good six or seven years now.

Perhaps someone has some inside knowledge what might be happening with any of the above.

Offline maggiesaes

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2018, 04:34:48 PM »
I was told that the old 2 Star/Captain Octopus was going to be open next year but no details.
I do hope so it looks so sad there the empty space.Mind there was nothing there when I first went anyway it was before any of it was there.
Jackie in Hippopots is great for getting the ball rolling pre-season.

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2018, 06:19:04 PM »
Yes I agree with you all.  When we go in July, I always do a little blog each day, for whats happening etc, as I know Jackie is a busy lady.  It would be nice if others could do this too, during their holidays next year, I love reading other people's views on the village, weather etc. I don't do facebook either and I think thats where a lot of activity is.  Maybe we could add to this post and hear some of your experiences from this year's holiday :)

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2018, 08:37:51 PM »
sadly we didn't manage to get there this year, our first non-visit since we started going in 2004. Missed it to be fair. Especially the food.
Decided to go eslewhere due to weddings etc and visited Gale in Portugal and Benalmadena. Now the latter couldn't be more opposite to San Stef....won't be going back.

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2018, 03:41:44 PM »
Are you hoping to go back next year Tredegar? :)

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2018, 06:50:03 PM »
I'd like to think so but I'm retiring next year and my wife and I are thinking a "once in a lifetime" holiday thing. No idea where though.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2018, 12:53:09 AM »
I, too, am sad at how quiet it is here compared to five or six years ago. I don't usually post much anywhere when in the village; I spend my life in front of computers and I'm glad to get away and do some writing with old-fashioned pen and paper. These days I rarely go onto Facebook apart from viewing obligatory pictures of granddaughters - I end up wasting hours in futile arguments about Brexit, of which I am not a fan!

Next year? Who knows? The pound/euro rate has made things substantially more expensive for the last year or two. It's a pretty safe bet that if the UK leaves the EU with no deal the pound will devalue even more. We live in very uncertain times. Obviously, holidays should not really be high on our priority list compared to the economic, social and general well-being of our country - but of course we all harbour thoughts of warm nights and the scent of jasmine and oregano. We'll see.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni