Author Topic: Rose Gardens  (Read 35227 times)

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
Re: Rose Gardens
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2019, 06:56:14 PM »
It's our last day and we've awoken to a cloudless sky and brilliant sunshine and its hot. Day by the pool until the coach picks us up at 5.15. I'll let you know how the journey home goes tomorrow.

Thank you for your updates, I have enjoyed them. Have a safe and comfortable journey home :)

Offline maggiesaes

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2019, 09:49:27 PM »
Sounds as though we’ll need extra protection this time,we’re not normally bothered but do always spray anyway.

Offline Corixa

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2019, 11:52:19 AM »
Thanks for the 'heads up' on the mozzies I am the one that attracts them but I usually do spray up especially in the evening. I find the Avon Skin So Soft does the trick in most places with mozzies, but not horse flies but I guess they are not a feature here  :)

Clive

Offline valfarrell

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2019, 01:16:57 PM »
I always get bite at least once or twice when in Corfu. Husband never bothered by them. He got stung twice by wasps last year. I used Avon as well as strongest repellant.  Remember once went out with out spraying told waiter in restaurant where we were eating and he gave me spray to use which was helpful.

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2019, 06:09:02 PM »
The mention of mosquito yesterday made me think more about it this morning.  Going back there after many years that there was a surprisingly high number of the horrors. I’ve never been particularly bothered by them, but the OH is the opposite. So I was very disappointed to be bitten to hell on the first night! Elsewhere in Europe I could go out on the balcony at nights in just shorts and not have a bite, whereas the OH alongside has clothes with feet and hands tucked in and still was bitten. Hence in Corfu I did not spray or cover up. In short they are a different breed there, but my other main point was that after all these years away, one particular type is apparently present there in Corfu now – the tiger mosquito. If you don’t know about them I would suggest it worth looking up or at least noting they are not just night creatures, they bite during the day! The only good bit of news on them is the fact they are very poor flyers and will not go beyond 200m or so of their water birth place. Any breeze or wind and they are not too happy, so normally the beach is good, but I guess not so too near the river there. Bad news is they can breed in just a few millimetres of water, so a place with plant pots and saucers is ideal for them.
I know for different people different mosquito protection works for them, but not others. We (I) was not bitten again in the following 16 days we were there, used little spray, spent almost all the time during the day at the beach. What spray I used is the OH lifeline against them – autan tropical – she has tried them all…
Enjoy your last day Tredegar Boy and I hope those horrid mozzies don't follow you to the airport!!

Hi Geordieboy

I think you're right when you say they might be tiger mozzies that bite during the day as my wife and I rattled our brains to work out when we may have been bitten and having been at the Rose Gardens that may have been when.

Return home experience to follow
When God created Wales he was just showing off

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2019, 06:28:35 PM »
Okay, picture the scene. Its around 30 degrees, our last day by the pool, coach pick up due at 5.15 when a new arrival told us that our plane may be delayed. Coach picks us up on time and we get to the airport to be told that our 8.50 pm flight will now not leave until 00.15am. What! Further enquiries confirms that our plane was late getting to Cardiff from Palma because of very poor weather there. It was meant to arrive in Cardiff at 1.30pm but it didn't arrive until around 6.30pm. It finally left at 7.30pm (9.30pm Corfu time).

By this time we had already been in the airport for 2 1/2 hours with TUI giving all passengers 8 euros each for food. I thought I misheard and asked for clarification - 8 or 80 euros. 8 euros doesn't buy you zip at the airport. The Aberdeen flight was also delayed so you can image the scene. All surfaces were covered by fellow travellers. Travellers everywhere. Our plane finally arrived at 00.20am and we left at 1.15am on a very subdued flight. Got into Cardiff at 2.15 where the automatic passport control booths were not open which didn't go down well. This resulted in a further delay of 1 hour. We finally got home at 4am (6am Corfu time). That's a 13 hour journey.

Now none of these issues were Corfu airports fault just the vagries of flying.........still it was pants and I'm sitting here at 3.30 on Saturday afternoon, my wife is already back in bed and I'm beginning to slow down as well.

It was overall a lovely week on our return to Rose Gardens after a 13 year gap.   

geordieborn

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2019, 07:07:01 PM »
I know that feeling TB, bad enough when you choose middle of the night flights, but due to delays when not expected. That horrid knackered feeling is awful... Must have been something wrong in 2006, that was also the last time we were in Corfu until July gone. If we do get back again it will be well out of season for us. Hope you recover soon...

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2019, 08:23:12 PM »
Hi Geordieboy

2006 was the last time we went to Rose Gardens we've spent the interim years at Fedra Mare. The RG grounds have matured nicely but that might have been our problem

Offline maggiesaes

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2019, 08:59:01 PM »
TB I was thinking of you as I checked your flight and saw the delay.
I really feel for you,no delay is much fun but at that time after a long day and in the heat....boy!
Glad you are resting anyway now.

geordieborn

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2019, 09:50:30 PM »
Hi Geordieboy

2006 was the last time we went to Rose Gardens we've spent the interim years at Fedra Mare. The RG grounds have matured nicely but that might have been our problem
Ah, I see, so a regular still...

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2019, 01:54:25 PM »
TB, sorry for your awful experience, not the best place to be, when you're delayed.

Offline maggiesaes

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2019, 03:08:23 PM »
Rotten when these things happen but it shoudn’t put us off should it,it is the exception and we soon look forward to the next trip.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni