Author Topic: How Hilly  (Read 6914 times)

Offline Tubbs

• View Profile
How Hilly
« on: April 25, 2018, 03:18:00 PM »
Hi All

Thinking of coming in 2019, it looks lovely.  However, I have mobility issues and I was wondering how
hilly the main town area is and down to the beach.  We are thinking of staying at Barrass or Silver Moon.  Also I love swimming in the sea how easy is it to get in and out of the sea.  Many thanks.

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
Re: How Hilly
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 03:58:27 PM »
Hello Tubbs and welcome to the forums!  So the main town area is not too hilly. However if you go to the beach, past Athina hotel, you have to walk down a wooden slope and thus up again, can be a little tricky, depending on your degree of mobility.  There is another way, past San Stefanos travel, and it is down  quite a slope just before the beach and thus quite a slope back up from the beach.  We love Silver Moon, however, some apartments are up many steep steps and some up about 6 steep steps. There are 2 ground floor apartments, but these are tiny and I wouldn't recommend them.  Barras is on one level. It really depends on how bad your mobility is. If you did get to the beach, it is very easy and flat.  The sea is very shallow to start with but with a little dip to get into, but I would think, not a problem.  Hope this helps!  We love it there!  Karen

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 04:04:30 PM »
The slopes in the centre of the village are not very steep and can be taken gently. The beach is very shallow and it's easy to get in and out. You can also use almost any pool provided you buy a drink.

Barras is right on the T-junction near the centre, so minimal hill factor. Silver Moon is on the rising road that leads out of the village, up a then steep hill, to Avliotes. A lot depends on what your maximum comfortable incline would be.

If stairs are a problem you might want to think about paying a bit more to stay at Little Prince, which is the only block in village to have a lift.

If you get Google Earth and go to Corfu, and then zoom in on Agios Stefanos you can actually "walk" from Barras to the beach, passing Little Prince. That should give you some idea. The village is quite compact, so there are no very long walks in the central zone. There is never any need to hurry anywhere - in fact, there should be a big bin at the edge of the village with a sign reading "Dump Hurry and Worry Here." The owners of apartments and tavernas are incredibly friendly and helpful: they will do almost anything to make your stay as easy and lovely as possible. They are the embodiment of the Greek concept of "filoxenia," which means "kindness to strangers." However, when you return to the village you will no longer be a stranger - you will magically have become a member of the family. That's why so many of us go back.

If you feel able to share a little more information about your mobility, I and others will be able to give you a good assessment of your options.

Offline IrisG

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 05:13:14 PM »
I’m sure I saw on a post recently that Perros has had a lift installed,too.

Offline Tubbs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 05:24:07 PM »
Hi, thank you all for your help.  I have Arthritis in both knees and walk with a wheeled frame.  Steps are not too bad for me as long as not too many, ,  just a pain for hubby who has to carry walker, steep slopes are actually worse.  May have to forget Silver Moon and will look at Little Prince. Any other suggestions for self catering with pool, near to beach and centre would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you x

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2018, 05:37:40 PM »
Hello again.  Jim made a good suggestion with Little Prince, nice and central too. I can't think of any more SC accommodation, along the main strip. On second thoughts, if you like to sit round the pool,Barass pool is right next to the road. The silver moon pool is lovely and you would be welcome at any pool as long as you buy a drink or something to eat. :)

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2018, 06:19:12 PM »
We've stayed at Barass and Little Prince. Neither have wonderful views, but LP is definitely better. If you are tired, you can get the lift down to ground level to eat and have fun, and back to bed. The rooms are huge. I sometimes have back pain as a result of a bad slipped disc a long time ago - and Little Prince is much easier with baggage because all rooms are at least on the first floor. Barass is on two levels,with quite steep steps up to the first floor. Both are very friendly. The bakery is right opposite Barass, which is great for breakfast (apple pie is usually excellent value.)

As lovely Karen says - those are probably your best choices. If you fancy half-board, Nafsika is great. The food is wonderful, and it's about 25 yards to the beach. It also has a lovely pool.

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 08:25:26 PM »
Jimbo is right, The Little Prince would be ideal for you, dead central in town, large rooms, lift to all floors, good views, restaurant downstairs, fabulous owners. Go for it

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 08:41:15 PM »
Agree with Jim on the Nafsika.  There are some wonderful people who eat in their taverna too! ;)

Offline Tubbs

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 11:01:32 PM »
Thank you everyone, will look into booking little prince

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 01:15:11 AM »
Most of all, Tubbs, we want you to have the best time possible. Ask whatever you want, and we'll be happy to give you the truth!

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni