Welcome to San Stefanos (NW Corfu) > San Stefanos news and views

How Hilly

(1/3) > >>

Tubbs:
Hi All

Thinking of coming in 2019, it looks lovely.  However, I have mobility issues and I was wondering how
hilly the main town area is and down to the beach.  We are thinking of staying at Barrass or Silver Moon.  Also I love swimming in the sea how easy is it to get in and out of the sea.  Many thanks.

Karen:
Hello Tubbs and welcome to the forums!  So the main town area is not too hilly. However if you go to the beach, past Athina hotel, you have to walk down a wooden slope and thus up again, can be a little tricky, depending on your degree of mobility.  There is another way, past San Stefanos travel, and it is down  quite a slope just before the beach and thus quite a slope back up from the beach.  We love Silver Moon, however, some apartments are up many steep steps and some up about 6 steep steps. There are 2 ground floor apartments, but these are tiny and I wouldn't recommend them.  Barras is on one level. It really depends on how bad your mobility is. If you did get to the beach, it is very easy and flat.  The sea is very shallow to start with but with a little dip to get into, but I would think, not a problem.  Hope this helps!  We love it there!  Karen

Jimbo:
The slopes in the centre of the village are not very steep and can be taken gently. The beach is very shallow and it's easy to get in and out. You can also use almost any pool provided you buy a drink.

Barras is right on the T-junction near the centre, so minimal hill factor. Silver Moon is on the rising road that leads out of the village, up a then steep hill, to Avliotes. A lot depends on what your maximum comfortable incline would be.

If stairs are a problem you might want to think about paying a bit more to stay at Little Prince, which is the only block in village to have a lift.

If you get Google Earth and go to Corfu, and then zoom in on Agios Stefanos you can actually "walk" from Barras to the beach, passing Little Prince. That should give you some idea. The village is quite compact, so there are no very long walks in the central zone. There is never any need to hurry anywhere - in fact, there should be a big bin at the edge of the village with a sign reading "Dump Hurry and Worry Here." The owners of apartments and tavernas are incredibly friendly and helpful: they will do almost anything to make your stay as easy and lovely as possible. They are the embodiment of the Greek concept of "filoxenia," which means "kindness to strangers." However, when you return to the village you will no longer be a stranger - you will magically have become a member of the family. That's why so many of us go back.

If you feel able to share a little more information about your mobility, I and others will be able to give you a good assessment of your options.

IrisG:
I’m sure I saw on a post recently that Perros has had a lift installed,too.

Tubbs:
Hi, thank you all for your help.  I have Arthritis in both knees and walk with a wheeled frame.  Steps are not too bad for me as long as not too many, ,  just a pain for hubby who has to carry walker, steep slopes are actually worse.  May have to forget Silver Moon and will look at Little Prince. Any other suggestions for self catering with pool, near to beach and centre would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you x

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni
Go to full version