Author Topic: Rubbish  (Read 28141 times)

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
Re: Rubbish
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2017, 10:37:02 PM »
Ok folks, the rubbish seems to be being cleared on a daily basis. Think the strike must be off, as all the bins along to the airport were emptied, so hope you all have a lovely holiday, as we have just had. :) Still a fantastic welcome all the locals. Happy smiling faces. :)

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2017, 03:22:22 PM »
 Good news about the bins !!

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2017, 08:36:38 PM »
Good news about the bins !!
It certainly is, now everyone can get on and enjoy their holidays without worrying about them! :)

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2017, 02:40:08 PM »
Karen is absolutely right. The only garbage around is these comments. There are NO stinking piles of rubbish in the village. A few bags around the bins. That's normal. With the temperatures in the upper 30s I was probably stinking just as much. If you can't take the ubiquitous aroma of hot countries it's probably better to check out Thomson packages to Antarctica.

The idea that was in some way just Agios Stefanos is ridiculous. This was a national municipal workers' strike, and it was sorted in less than three weeks.

To anyone hesitating to go, I'd say that you should ignore all this whingeing. As of 4:30pm yesterday, when we left, everything was fine, and the most pervasive smell in the village was that of lamb on hot charcoal.

Offline H A S

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2017, 03:37:47 PM »
If people think the rubbish is bad now they should have gone to Corfu in the 1980s there were open sewers piles of bones in the streets phew. Harry

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2017, 03:56:04 PM »
If people think the rubbish is bad now they should have gone to Corfu in the 1980s there were open sewers piles of bones in the streets phew. Harry

We did Harry, Messonghi Beach and Sidari, don't recall any of that.
When God created Wales he was just showing off

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2017, 05:26:30 PM »
I was a little concerned about this before we went, but within a couple of days it was being dealt with, so well done them.  Had a fantastic holiday, as always. Jim, didn't notice any stinks coming from you, only fragrance! ;Dt

Offline eildan

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2017, 08:09:04 PM »
Think Jumbo has rose tinted glasses,we were there for four weeks,and for three of them it was bad,and carried on when we left.we were aware it wasn't just confined to our village,we kept hoping the locals would do something as they did after a while last year, not going to put us off,after 26years,let's hope we are not discussing this next year.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2017, 08:37:15 PM »
From July 3rd until now there has been no problem.

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2017, 01:56:50 AM »
From July 3rd until now there has been no problem.
Yes, we agree with this, but as we all say, this would not put us off going back. We have worse things than this, to contend with, where we live ,and going back to San Stefanos will always be a joy to us, mainly because of the locals and the other special people we meet with, year after year. :)

Offline Teamnickos

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2017, 02:11:07 AM »
Sorry but I have to be honest, we have just returned after 2 weeks - the rubbish heaps were cleared once per week and that is all. Didn't bother us,  but wasn't pleasant , just crossed the road to avoid them but I can understand it would put people off especially eating or staying near the heaps. Strangely, the bins outside Olympia were emptied on weds or thurs (can't remember) and then covered over with tarpaulin ??? I can see why it would put people off returning regardless of the reason for it.

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2017, 01:13:59 PM »
Sorry but I have to be honest, we have just returned after 2 weeks - the rubbish heaps were cleared once per week and that is all. Didn't bother us,  but wasn't pleasant , just crossed the road to avoid them but I can understand it would put people off especially eating or staying near the heaps. Strangely, the bins outside Olympia were emptied on weds or thurs (can't remember) and then covered over with tarpaulin ??? I can see why it would put people off returning regardless of the reason for it.
Yes, of course it would put some people off, I understand that, especially if it were their first time there. We just did the same as you and we weren't affected by it personally. :)

Offline Teamnickos

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2017, 10:51:49 PM »
I was responding to Jim's post saying there was no problem rather than yours Karen  :)

Frankie

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2017, 01:06:08 AM »
I was responding to Jim's post saying there was no problem rather than yours Karen  :)

Frankie
Sorry Frankie! :)

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni