Author Topic: Rubbish  (Read 28296 times)

Offline eildan

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
Rubbish
« on: June 28, 2017, 12:22:41 PM »
Be aware!rubbish is starting to be a problem again,this is unfair to the many tourist coming back year after year,also new tourist who might not come back.why is this a problem most summers now?Corfu should be aware people have other choices, we have been visiting sanstefanos for 25years,and would love to continue to do so.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Rubbish
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 04:06:33 PM »
Greece is under the cosh. Funds are low, or non-existent. Last year the local businesses sorted it out, and will probably do it again, if necessary, this year.

They're all terribly aware of the issue. Payments to Council workers are a national issue. So let's cut them a bit of slack.

Offline eildan

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 10:26:50 PM »
Where its a health hazard ,no slack!

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 12:31:07 AM »
We returned from San Stef last Friday and its clear the locals are doing their best but its becoming a regular and disappointing feature of our holiday. Driving out of Corfu town on the 23rd was depressing. An ex-work colleague of ours was on the same flight and visiting Corfu for the first time - she won't be back.

Regardless of the continued efforts of the local businesses the smell by the Olympia and around Fantasea was awful even after the bins had been emptied.

I feel we've been very loyal to San Stef, for good reason, but are questioning whether to go somewhere else next year.

Sad but that's where we're at
When God created Wales he was just showing off

Offline spesh49

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 05:21:52 PM »
I think were gonna be the same, maybe San Stefanos has run its course  :( :(

Offline Richard/Jackie/Nathan

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 05:32:29 PM »
More room for the rest of us rhen  :D :D

Offline eildan

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 08:35:26 PM »
How rude!

Offline tenbeech

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 09:55:22 PM »

I'm sorry to say I have to agree with you Spesh49 , After visiting San Stef since the 1990's  we visited Ibiza ( Es Cana ) two years ago , What a difference , the place was spotless ,food excellent , rubbish bins emptied every day , buses cheap and regular  beaches raked every morning Etc. Etc . We enjoyed it so much we have been there again.
          However it's not Greece , we really love Corfu and the many other Greek islands we have visited. we will give San Stef another look and see what happens ,we know money is tight in Greece but if they let standards slip too much people will vote with their feet and try somewhere else and then everyone looses.
Adventure before dementia

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 01:50:13 PM »
I think some of us are being a bit selfish here. The reason the bins are not being emptied is because the men are on strike over a pay dispute.How many of us would work week after week without pay?They have families to support.

As for driving through Corfu town in your air condition taxi tut tutting about the smell and piles of rubbish,what about the people who live there and have to put up with it every day.

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2017, 02:48:39 PM »
This is all such a shame, especially for San stef, but all over Greece. They are now clearing it on a daily basis, according to friends staying here, who travel around on a daily basis. Unfortunately there is still a smell in places. Having spoken to others staying here, some of us experience this at home too. We hope to return next year, there are more fors than againsts. Have been speaking to local bar and restaurant owners and explained everyone's concerns, so they are obviously fully aware.

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2017, 03:36:22 PM »
 Of course it smells, with temperatures in the 30s you can't expect anything else.

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2017, 04:15:15 PM »
Of course it smells, with temperatures in the 30s you can't expect anything else.
Exactly.

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2017, 06:00:43 PM »
I think some of us are being a bit selfish here. The reason the bins are not being emptied is because the men are on strike over a pay dispute.How many of us would work week after week without pay?They have families to support.

As for driving through Corfu town in your air condition taxi tut tutting about the smell and piles of rubbish,what about the people who live there and have to put up with it every day.

I'm well aware the strike is over pay or the lack of it but I for one don't need a lecture on striking and hardship. I'm an ex-steelworker who was on strike for 4 months back in the 80s. Six in the family and only my dad and I working who was also a steelworker so don't patronise me.

Who was tut tutting? I pay my money I'm free to comment. When the waste is being dealt with properly it doesn't matter what the temperature is you don't get the smell. We've been coming here 13 years and only twice has this rubbish issue been a problem that we've experienced. Telling me to suck it up while its worse for them is neither here or there - a pointless comment.

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2017, 08:11:02 PM »
 I'm sorry if you think I was lecturing or patronising you it was not my intent. I was only trying to point out that we holiday makers are
 only there for a few weeks a year.
 I don't believe it was "a pointless comment" that it is worse for the people living in Corfu town,it must be miserable living in what has become a huge rubbish dump.So,yes,I'm afraid for the time being we will just have to "suck it up"
If I lived in any town in Greece I would,by now,be seriously concerned about the health of my family,the cats and rats must think all their Christmases have come at once.
At least in Agios Stefanos the business owners are doing there best to control the problem by moving the rubbish themselves,and we are all grateful for that

Strikes are hard on families no matter where they happen and I remember the steelworkers strike of 1980,I believe it was over a demand for a 20% increase in pay.

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2017, 08:51:32 PM »
Agreed it was a 20% claim. Sounds extortinate doesn't it? Inflation was at 18%. After 4 months they gave us 20% allied to a 50% cut in the workforce - 9000 to 4500. What a win that was. 

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni