Author Topic: Our walk to Avliotes and beyond  (Read 9000 times)

Offline Grounded

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
Our walk to Avliotes and beyond
« on: June 19, 2017, 07:30:29 PM »
I may have mentioned that SWMBO and i enjoy a walk. Shortly after we arrived here we were told of a "shortcut" to Avliotes. We have now taken that path on at least a dozen occasions, but only once have we seen anyone other than locals on it. So i thought i should post it here.
The walk starts by the medical centre/surgery, opposite Spiros bikes. When we sought confirmation from the chap there (no doubt called Spiro) he looked at us in amazement that we should be contemplating it and he informed us the local football team use it for training. Anyroadup, i digress (frequently).
So you take the path between the surgery and the apartment/pool complex until you reach the T junction. I should say at this point that good footwear is essential, no high-heels or jandals please. Take the left turn (the right is supposed to come out opposite the 3 Ws but we have been unable to find a way through) and start through the olive groves. The path is very steep in places and frequently very loose underfoot. The silence in there can be deafening and the dappled light a true pleasure out of the sun. There are some stunning scenes through the old olive trees and some spectacular views of the sea. It is a very pleasurable walk of about 40 minutes, depending how long you spend looking at views, lizards, eagles (i think), ants you could trip over, and various other forms of wildlife.
At the end of this path you arrive at a staggered crossroads. Left would take you back to Ag Stef. You want to face between 1 and 2 on the clockface and cross the road to take the road signposted to Avliotes. After around 500m you pass a petrol station on the left (with a very sad parrot) and shortly after this you arrive at a fork in the road and you take the left option. You follow this up to the village of Avliotes, which takes perhaps 30 minutes from leaving the olive path.
Arriving at the village, turning left will take you to a beautiful church with wonderful views, whilst turning right takes you down into the village proper. You pass a gift shop and the post office and arrive at Ilias Taverna (where they serve some of the best chips i have ever eaten).
If you wish a longer walk, you can carry on along the road, past the playground and you will see a "satellite" cafe on the left. Immediatley past this is a left turn down the hill. Follow this, taking the left choice at each junction (only 3 i think) and after about 20 minutes you will arrive at Logas beach and cold beer. It was walking back from there today we saw our first wild tortoise in 20 years. By wild, i do not mean it could have shredded a lettuce, but he did not have a number painted on his back and answer to "Fred". It really made our day and we got some great pics.
Anyway, i just thought i should share this as we have enjoyed it so very much.
Oh, to get back, just reverse your steps!

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
Re: Our walk to Avliotes and beyond
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 08:15:42 PM »
Have enjoyed your posts, Grounded. Thank you! :)

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 01:06:05 AM »
For the oldies (i.e. me) take the bus to Avliotes and do the walk downwards. Great views.

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 01:45:35 AM »
Sounds like an adventure rather than a walk..will check it out in july

Offline gillie

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 02:08:31 PM »
It's a lovely walk and very shady through the olive groves. As Jim says we now do it the downhill way and bus it to Avliotes. Once at Avliotes we walk to Logas beach as described by Grounded, then back for lunch at Ilias and then the walk back thro' the olive groves. Beautiful.

Gavlah1973

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 04:25:13 PM »
Also I'm guessing you could turn down by the tennis courts and walk up the road, twisting and turning, until you go past the football pitch then you pop up at the staggered crossroads

Offline Ralnar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 04:42:16 PM »
Thanks for the directions, we walked up on Thursday and had a nice lunch at Ilias. The petrol station is on the right though as you approach Avliotes. I think it took us 30 minutes to reach the crossroads, and then about 20 more to Ilias.
The downhill walk is not as taxing on the lungs, but straining more on the legs on the looser surface.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni