Author Topic: San Stefanos accessibility help  (Read 5133 times)

Offline HKsuey

• View Profile
San Stefanos accessibility help
« on: May 09, 2017, 03:13:43 AM »

As a family of 4 we have holidayed in San Stefanos for the past two years and had a lovely time on the beach and pool, visiting as many restaurants and bars as we can fit in and exploring the area. We booked to come back this year as soon as as we got home last year. :)
Unfortunately the circumstances are very different now and due to a worsening condition my husbands mobility and strength is greatly reduced and he now is using a wheelchair or scooter full time and cannot manage any steps. However he is keen to carry on with the holiday for the children, we are planning to hire a mobility scooter and other equipment but has anyone any previous experience of holidaying in a wheelchair in San stefanos and any hints or tips? Are there any wheelchair accessible taxis? As far as i remember little prince, Nafsica and Zorbas has flat access - can anyone suggest others? Are there any disabled toilets anywhere? It's not until disabilty affects you that you realise how difficult access is even here in the UK let alone abroad. Anyway I look forward to any help anyone can give. Thank you.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 03:44:23 AM by HKsuey »

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: San Stefanos accessibility help
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 07:43:29 PM »
 Hi HKsuey, I think you will find that most of the tavernas and restaurants have access for wheelchairs. To name a few,Fantasea,Manthos,Beachcomber,Beer o'clock,Waves,I'm sure there are many more.

As for the toilet situation,I have never seen any disabled toilets in Agios Stefanos, maybe it's something they need to think about.
 Don't know how you book your taxis but the drivers are usually more than willing to help in cases like yours.

We used to take my Mother to Agios Sefanos every year until she was 100.She had the use of a wheelchair while there,although she didn't use one at home,it was just easier to get around.
We made the mistake one day of wheeling her round to Arrilas. All went well until we got to the steep hill leading down to Arrilas then it was heart in your mouth stuff as we clung onto the wheelchair to prevent Mother zooming off and landing in the supermarket at the bottom,and all the while she sat there enjoying the scenery, completely unaware.

Hope you all have a good holiday.

Offline cornishmaid18

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 01:49:20 AM »
My husband has used his scooter for years in the village and is pretty much able to access most places which we wanted to visit. If we couldn't get in, hey ho, our € were spent elsewhere! 😃
Drop kerbs are okish but vicious in places and tbh we found keeping to the side of the road was the best bet as if you can get up the kerb, it doesn't necessarily mean you can get down without doing a u turn and ending up back where you started! We accept that accessibility isn't as good as here but we have always managed ok.....Tried not to get frustrated and had great holidays with the family.
He takes his scooter from home and flying from various airports has been easy. The issue with Thomson is that whilst you can take an electric scooter on the plane, you can't use their transfer buses. (Manual yes, electric no! ☹️)...definitely cheaper than hiring, though you would need a taxi transfer, sorry but I can't help with accessible options as R can get in and out of a car independently.
Thoughts on restaurants....from memory I think the only places we couldn't get into were Ozzy oil as the pavement to it has a tree in it which sort of gets in the way (no drop kerb) and Olympia where the angle is ridiculous and not smooth which resulted in him coming off the back last year!!! Caused a bit of excitement over dinner 🤣
We go up to Gravia on the Arillas road and off road to Akrotiri at one end and Romanza at the other and pretty much all points in between. Athens have a ramp which they are happy to put out so don't be put off if it looks too difficult.
Fantasea, Nafsika, Manthos, Beachcomber, Beer O'Clock (I think) 2 stars, Yiannis, Barras, Zorba's, Pizza place, Little Prince all doable....honestly you'll be fine and have lots of choice. That's one of the reasons we keep going back, we know that we can manage there.
Where are you staying? Accommodation without steps is definitely trickier. We usually stay at Noula's Blu Rose apt which has a double sized shower and ramped access but there are only the two of us.
Anyway, apologies for the reply being a bit lengthy, but I hope that it has been useful.
Hope you have a fab holiday
Regards
Helen

Offline cambridge

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 11:18:21 AM »
Helen,

Great reply, I'm sure HKsuey will find that very helpful, and reassuring.

Offline HKsuey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 01:44:08 AM »
Thanks very much Helen  for the info and taking the time to write a reply much appreciated. We will try our best to have a good time even though things will be different. I suppose no pools have any sort of lift /hoist? -hubby will just have to stay in bar while we swim- not too bad surely.
 I've found a firm which has a wheelchair adapted taxi so sorted that out. How do they get you off the plane at Corfu if you can't manage steps? I've got visions of a cherry picker!

Thanks again
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 01:47:50 AM by HKsuey »

Offline cornishmaid18

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 08:16:54 PM »
To be fair it looks a bit like a cherry picker but the ambi lift and operators at Corfu are really helpful, actually better than our side. You just wait on the aircraft with the crew until they arrive at the opposite side to the steps. Flat access off, they drive you to arrivals and they push or help you up the walkway.
Make sure you book assistance with the airline (in advance) who pass your details on to the airport at home and in Corfu. You may get dedicated assistance through passport control etc....it depends on airport and your individual requirements.
( If you hire wheels in Corfu you will be taken care of throughout the airport process as hubby will have a helper who will collect you in a manual chair and save you pushing).
Prepare yourself for sarky comments about preferential treatment....😤
On your return you go to a designated departure gate (no 6) and they come and get you (usually first)
and the process is reversed. Seems there aren't as many restrictions in Corfu and occasionally it has seemed a bit more chaotic but we have done the journey about a dozen times and it works, Greek style!
Depending on the age of your children you will be kept together but as ours are older they just board the usual way and I go with R.
Pool lifts are a step too far I'm afraid and I'm not aware of any beach style entry pools. R's managed to get in and out by being lifted in and out by sons in law but not very dignified!....we have relied on the beach rather than pools.
Friends ask us why we go back to the same place. From a carer's point of view it takes the stress out of travelling, knowing we can manage! Makes a huge difference to me! 😃
Hope you have a good time whenever you go.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni