Author Topic: Here's my holiday review....  (Read 9349 times)

Gavlah1973

Here's my holiday review....
« on: August 30, 2016, 10:41:28 PM »
Spent two weeks in San Stefanos from 10th - 24th August

Once again we stayed at the Perros. What a fantastic hotel. Stefanos, Eleni, Nicola and Anna cant do enough for you. It really is a home from home. Lovely views of the pool from Room 4.
We attended their BBQ night twice which they resurrected for this season. Excellent value at only  9 euros and great fun for adults and kids..... the musical chairs was hilarious!!

We ate at the following...

Yiannis
Amazing place that goes from strength to strength. They were packed most evenings. We held our boys 5th bday there and they couldn't do enough, including getting a cake for us. The way they handled 16 of us was amazing. Service never slipped from start to finish. That night Yianni had to turn away 40 diners which was a record apparently. Yianni and Vaso are obviously doing something right.

Zorbas
Ate here 3 times across the holiday. Mostly in groups of 6/8. Great service and food. What a top man Pavlos and his family are

Barras
New one for us this year and we went twice. The quality of food and service was very good. Cheers Dimitri

Romanza
Another great BBQ night up there with Andreas and co. Althought there were 3/4 very large groups in which kinda spoilt the ambience as it was very noisy. Great food though

Fantasea
Had a lovely meal here again with great service. I did get some vibes though that all isn't right. Couldn't put my finger on it but the dad seemed back on the scene more than other years.

Town Pizza
Needed a lazy night one night so went here. Service good, especially considering Sam from Aspa was in with his family and there were about 20 of them. Decent pizza at a decent price

We also had lunch or brekkie at the following and never had a bad meal...... Yiannis Gyros, Little Prince, Tsaros, Vicky pool, Condor and Jasmine. Was amazed how lovely the food was at Jasmine but considering Spiro is part of the Barras family I'm not surprised.

We also had lunch at Gratsella in Arrilas which was lovely to sit by the sea.

Here's where I have to disagree slightly with Silver Star...... I thought our first week seemed busy but lots of Italians & Czechs who don't spend a lot of money. A few taverna owners were moaning that they come out for a walk at 6pm then seem to vanish back to their rooms.
The second week was a lot quieter...... I saw the group in Acabar one night but most other nights there was hardly a soul in. The group that were in were part of a group of 35 that were staying at Tsaros/Perros/Jasmine
 Aquarius was busy on an evening but hardly any daytime trade now theres no food.
El Greco looked fairly busy but it only takes about 10 folk in to make it look busy!
Condor was the quietest I've seen it and I think they've had a poor season.
Apart from the night with live music Ozzy Oil hardly had a soul in. I just cant see it being there next year. Even Athens bar seemed more consistently quiet

One night we sat in Barras between 8 & 10 and there weren't hardly any people about on the street. Quite startling considering it was August, I spoke with a few and the season started with optimism that the troubles in Egypy/Turkey etc would see a boost in numbers but it hasn't materialised.

There was also a strange undercurrent in the village. Whether this relates to a poor season or something else I'm not sure. I did hear rumours of a bit of a fall out between some key figures in the village but know no more than that .

There's deffo been some winners and a few losers when it comes to evaluating this season I think.

For me this was a very strange holiday...........I hope it improves next year

Offline thejoneses

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Here's my holiday review....
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 06:26:40 AM »
great review gavlah

we only done 1 week this time due to the fact wales done very well at euros and France aint a cheap place ... was also a part of the group of 35 for my sisters birthday party , we stay at spiradoula near margaritas supermarket old end . family are truly top of the range . due to short stay it was hard to get all favourites in and also let the kids eat where they chose .

first night tasty corner due to lateish flight

2nd romanza . table for 10 accomodated superbly , also picked up by andreas father and offered lift back but the downhill walk was relaxing after a few drinks and good food
3rd brusko . superb food and great atmosphere . maria and costas and all staff help the night fly by
4th barras . usually our 1st night and cant fault the place . giorgiou dimitri and family were quite busy but always attentive as usual . complimentary beer ,wine and panacotta at the end of the night was extra touch
5th manthos . kids love the bolognese in there . i love the fish .. wife loves the setting .
6th fantasea . setting is spot on . fresh fish is great and kostas is a very good host , was quiet though
7th olympia . sisters birthday party . great night  , great food again as usual . good to see him busy as well as feeding 35 at one time too.. usually chill out there after food but we had a bar crawl to go on ..
ate at tasty corner on the sunday before flying back at 21;00

great nights had in acabar , 3w , beer oclock , athens and gutted to miss out on so many other places
1st time ever we never done the condor at least once but thats only due to the fact the kids have grown up and go on their own now lol . 

most days on the beach , weather good after a dullish start monday tuesday , jazzmine pool otherwise or silver moon for diving championships

just about got time to relax a bit but wished we done longer

highlights for me was the last minute after party that margarita and chrystantho put on for my sister after her birthday party . lastminute.com with  more cake ,shots and lots of music '   Plus the family we stay with never cease to amaze me in what they do for us. overall a great week just not long enough

roll on 2017

Gavlah1973

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 10:21:15 AM »
Glad you enjoyed it. You must have been part of the group that was there with us then.
Think some were at the Perros bbq on the Monday night

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 12:16:36 PM »
Our paths must have crossed somewhere Gavlah..was there from 3rd till 21st also did Romanza Greek night..

Offline Silverstar

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 06:02:27 PM »
It's odd how perceptions can be different - I honestly found it busier over the 3 weeks than I did last year and apart from hearing that Condor were struggling, everywhere else seemed fairly busy when talking a jaunt down the strip around 10-30 most nights.

I didn't pick up on an undercurrent either and I am friends with a lot of the old family Greeks so again, odd.  The only strange thing that happened (which I was told to expect by my Greek friends) was that the poster I put up for the 80's night outside Hippopots was taken down by the next morning.   Likely suspects were either Condor which I know was struggling and also 2 Stars which had a Greek night the same night........either way I thought it was a bit mean spirited but had been pre-warned that it would likely happen....

Also I thought Fantasea was great and was in the night that you were there (Nate and Mckenzie seemed to get on famously!) and although I saw Kostas' dad for the first time in a while, I didn't notice anything odd apart from the drunk Greek that they had to eject halfway through the evening...

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 06:26:45 PM »
Sorry we missed your 80s night, was looking forward to going..even had some dracmas for the bar..sadley my wife was brought down by a bug that was going round the village, quite a few locals and tourists were suffering with it...

Offline Teamnickos

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 11:28:49 AM »
We usually go to the Condor once during our two weeks (for about an hour!) and it was full - no seats to be had (this was July).
Agree that it was mean spirited to take down your poster, you spend enough money in the village!

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2016, 07:42:03 PM »
I normally do a review but didn't this year as I only tend to report that we had a good time however in the spirit of friendship here's mine.
Everything was very good except for the bin situation which the locals had solved by taking the rubbish themselves to a local football pitch. Can you imagine that here there'd be rioting in the streets.
One thing I must tell you though is that exactly halfway through our fortnight and settling down for breakfast at Fedra my two sons appeared with beach towels and a cheery hello. we were gobsmacked. The eldest was supposed to be in work as he had no annual leave left the youngest was waiting for his A levels and looking for work.
Well my wife burst into tears and I checked how many euros we had - they ain't cheap our two.
What a surprise.
Anyway a great second week was had by all.
When God created Wales he was just showing off

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2016, 01:03:45 AM »
Great that you had a good time!

I think reproduction is overrated!

Offline WINKIE

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2016, 10:07:00 AM »
I normally do a review but didn't this year as I only tend to report that we had a good time however in the spirit of friendship here's mine.
Everything was very good except for the bin situation which the locals had solved by taking the rubbish themselves to a local football pitch. Can you imagine that here there'd be rioting in the streets.
One thing I must tell you though is that exactly halfway through our fortnight and settling down for breakfast at Fedra my two sons appeared with beach towels and a cheery hello. we were gobsmacked. The eldest was supposed to be in work as he had no annual leave left the youngest was waiting for his A levels and looking for work.
Well my wife burst into tears and I checked how many euros we had - they ain't cheap our two.
What a surprise.

Thats a smashing surprise,think I would have had tears too,glad that you had a lovely time,in a most wonderful place to stay,Fedra,our piece of heaven.
If its not one thing,its your mother.

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2016, 06:59:18 PM »
What a surprise.

I remember it well

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni