Author Topic: Brexit and all that rubbish  (Read 45955 times)

Offline cambridge

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Brexit and all that rubbish
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2016, 12:08:22 PM »
And many are enjoying the rubbish exchange rate.

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2016, 03:11:31 PM »
Oh yes... :)

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2016, 03:50:34 PM »
Most of the population of America will be arriving shortly!

Offline spesh49

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2016, 04:18:16 PM »
Well we've got everybody else over here  :D

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2016, 11:25:31 PM »
And many of us who disagree can happily have a drink and a hug in SS, and do.

But, it's a serious issue. It has world-wide implications. It's not normally the British way to run away and hide, but that's what the vote means, it seems to me.

Actual Brexit is retreating over the distant horizon as the government postpones the issue. The jury is still out on whether the Scottish parliament can veto the exit. This was a "non-binding" referendum, and if parliament decides that it's against the best interests of the UK it won't happen. Meanwhile, let's enjoy the rubbish exchange rate!

I have to say Jimbo that's brilliant - conciliatory while fanning the flames - running away and hiding indeed. Unbelievable.
Thank goodness our fantastic Olympians aren't plagued with negative thoughts. Their can do attitude is a great example of what the people of this country can do when they put their minds to it. Go GB in everything.
When God created Wales he was just showing off

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2016, 12:26:43 AM »
Well said..

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2016, 03:05:12 AM »
I'm half Welsh and one of my relatives lived in Tredegar, which I remember as a child being a pit and a lot of houses clinging to an almost vertical mountain side. They had a little shop near the top and I have vivid memories of being told I could go and take whatever sweets I wanted. And an Eagle Annual (early days), but most of all the miners singing Calon lân as they came off shift, their helmet lamps like fireflies in the dark. My mother was Welsh and my father was English and I was brought up in England. But I went often stay on my own with my grandmother in a remote house with no electricity a few miles from Dowlais. I roamed the hills. I dropped stones down mine shafts. I felt the first tremors of love for a girl called Myfanwy, who lived in a village called Pantywain (long since bulldosed).

Later, as a writer, I've worked with lots of people in Germany, Austria, Italy, France, the Netherlands. I think my early experience in the foreign country of Wales helped me to see other cultures as something to embrace - not quite so different as first appearances suggested. Before that I found, in Africa, that I had more in common with black Africans than my compatriots - and like the miners before, despite poverty and awful circumstances, they could sing, oh how they could sing.

I ramble on like this simply to show that I believe it's better to come together - that lines on the map defining borders are mostly relics of arbitrary past wars - that the attempt at least, despite its failures, to unify Europe after two disastrous conflicts, is better than a retreat into isolationism. I cannot see any compelling economic reasons for leaving the EU - on the contrary. I would very much have preferred us to stay in and argue each case. Many will disagree, but I think that the rather unpleasant press we have fed a succession of lies (it never was £350m, for example) to a people wishing for an end to austerity.

I hope that's calm enough. I don't hate, or dislike, anybody I've met in San Stef who voted Leave. I think that they were cheated, deluded, sold a bag of deceptions. They keep telling me it will all be wonderful eventually but don't appear to have any concrete plans for how to achieve it. I'm not a Moaner. I'm sad at the insult to my friends in Europe. I'm sad that the country which fought the Nazis to secure peace in Europe has retreated into being an insignificant blob on the map.

Offline spesh49

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2016, 01:08:51 PM »
"Myfanwy" REALLY !!  ;D sorry just my sense of humour.

"insignificant blob on the map."

Come on jimbo, do you really believe that ?
Only time will tell, lets give it a chance and as Tredegar says lets be a bit more positive,  enjoy our holidays in San Stef.

There are many worse places in the world to live than the UK.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2016, 04:14:03 PM »
Really, spesh - taking the proverbial out of Welsh girls' names is not the way to win friends and influence people. She could have been called Blodeuwedd or Tangwystl. I can still, strangely enough, remember her. She had blue eyes and black hair in pigtails. She used to giggle when she met me - a tradition continued by many people since then!

I do think we have an inflated opinion of our significance in the world. The days of Empire are long gone. We've flogged most of our manufacturing to the Far East. Our advanced research has largely been financed by the EU. We will survive - albeit at a significant cost.

Your punishment - if such it be - for insulting Welsh women if to watch this rendition of "Myfanwy" 300 times:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNtn8B3zz8g

J :-)

Offline spesh49

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2016, 08:58:09 AM »
Sorry jimbo only watched 201 times, gotta plane to catch.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2017, 02:08:46 AM »
As the farcical events of our exit from the EU unfold, I'm sure many of those who voted for Brexit will admire Winston Churchill.

Here's what he had to say:

"We must build a kind of United States of Europe."

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2017, 08:49:59 PM »
Go Brexit
When God created Wales he was just showing off

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile