Author Topic: Rubbish on the beach  (Read 11282 times)

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
Rubbish on the beach
« on: May 13, 2016, 01:42:59 PM »
We have a friend staying in San Stefanos at the moment, for his first time and he said there is a lot of rubbish on the beach. We always go to area near cliffs and we are very disappointed each year, to find this too. The area around the sunbeds is always lovely and clean and I presume that the people who look after the sunbeds keep it this way. There are a lot of people, including young families, who use this part of the beach, it's a shame they can't clean it up. Mentioned it to elliseos where we stay, last year and he was going to mention it to 'someone', obviously it fell on deaf ears! Such a shame, as this could put people off returning.

Offline bluenosejock1

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Rubbish on the beach
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 10:44:49 AM »
Completely agree! We tend to go up near the cliffs where it is quieter and although last year we did'nt go to San Stef (first time in years) I do remember stray crisp packets and stuff. To be fair some rubbish may be washed up by the sea but yes, definitely not as clean as other parts. I will be visiting a week today so hopefully a clean up has been undertaken  ???
I shine but do not burn

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 09:18:12 PM »
I agree, some of it is washed up, but a lot of it is obviousy rubbish left by people that day. I don't know what the answer is,but it does look a mess!

Offline Carolg

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2016, 07:31:21 PM »
Does anyone know what the seaweed situation is this year? With no webcam we can't take a look

Offline tenbeech

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 07:47:13 PM »

There is never any excuse for leaving rubbish on the beach , or anywhere else for that matter ,  if you take food drink etc. to the beach take the packaging back with you , simple. Always makes me wonder what these peoples houses are like.  ::) 
Adventure before dementia

Offline Rod

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 07:00:21 PM »
tenbeech, I couldn't agree more.

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2016, 04:56:39 PM »
Yes I agree too.But then, we dont know who's leaving it. Could be locals, holidaymakers, or both. Yes it is easy to take your own rubbish away, just surprised that someone in the village doesn't do something about it.  After all, it would be in their interests to do so. :)

Offline Rod

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 05:42:27 PM »
I'm about to be a bit controversial.  I have just mentioned this subject to my wife and she immediately said "it will be the Greeks".  She is convinced us tourists ALWAYS clear up afterwards, wherever that may be.  She could be right you know.

I remember a couple of years ago when we stayed at the Rose Garden, the area around the water crossing by the tennis courts were a disgrace.  There was rubbish everywhere and obviously a lot of fly tipping was evident.  Now that wouldn't be tourists would it?  .................... (stands well back and awaits fireworks).   :-\

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2016, 02:01:36 AM »
I wouldn't want to point a finger. A few rubbish bins up at that end might help.

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2016, 08:03:55 PM »
At the end of the day, it really is up to the local businesses, to ensure their lovely resort is welcoming and clean and tidy. I know someone will say, they have enough to do already and finances etc, but surely they want to maintain the return of the holidaymakers and have to address this in some way.  Yes, bins would be a good start, as long as someone was there to empty them. Still looking forward to our return in July, just hope I'm not disappointed with this situation again! :)

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni