Author Topic: Migrant Crisis - Bit of a controversial one  (Read 30460 times)

Gavlah1973

Migrant Crisis - Bit of a controversial one
« on: March 30, 2016, 11:00:30 AM »
This is bound to stir up some differing opinions...... just been reading the news this morning. Due to the deal that means migrants coming from Turkey are sent back it looks like some are now embarking on a more perilous journey from Libya to Italy. Instead of the traditional route through Western Greece.
Obviously this potentially brings into play the Ionian islands due to their location. 

Do we think that we may start to see migrants arriving in Corfu sometime in the near future?

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Migrant Crisis - Bit of a controversial one
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 12:53:42 PM »
Dont realy see the logic in coming to corfu..much to far to take a boat to italy...we see the problem here often (Belgium) If your on the motorway E40 heading Calais  lots of them walking on the hard shoulder.causeing real problems at Dunkirke and eurotunnel terminal..

Offline Silverstar

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 02:57:57 PM »
I agree that Corfu is too far for most to come but its not beyond the realms of possibility.   The reality is though that Greece is in pretty bad shape economically itself so probably wouldn't be seen as the beacon of light and opportunity that other European countries such as the UK, Germany and Italy are.

The migrant issue (in my opinion) will be the reason that UK votes to come out of Europe.   I think the majority of the UK people have no issue with controlled immigration that benefits the country, but the mass uncontrolled migration over the last 5-10 years has come at a large cost to the basic infrastructure of the country in terms of hospitals, schools, housing etc under massive strain.

We desperately need to adopt a more Australian migration system and take back some control.

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 03:47:02 PM »
Wow! Not going to get into any leave or stay argument, but my position will be determined by the economic repercussions of the decision, not on a perceived immigration issue.

Gavlah1973

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 04:31:11 PM »
Mine will be both Rover

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 10:14:39 PM »
Perceived immigrant crisis!! I think that depends on your experience and where you live. From my experience we have a crisis.
When God created Wales he was just showing off

Offline Intentioncraft

• Much has happened little has changed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 10:20:12 PM »
Do the worm on Accropolis
Slam dance Cosmopolis
Enlighten the Populace

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 01:17:07 AM »
Perceived immigrant crisis!! I think that depends on your experience and where you live. From my experience we have a crisis.

Correct Tredagar Boy

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 01:17:47 AM »
There's a huge distinction between internal migration in the EU and refugees. You can't just lump them all together.

Migrants (temporary or otherwise) from within the EU have paid more tax than they've taken in benefits. The idea that they're spongers is a fiction cooked up by flag-waving fantasists spurred on the by the Mail and the Sun. And I seriously doubt that anybody is going to attempt to get from Syria to Corfu in an inflatable.

We are NOT part of the Schengen Area, and our borders are as secure as they ever were.

The EU is imperfect, flawed, and under the influence of wealthy multi-national corporations. But that seems to me to be a better option than the kamikaze dive into economic chaos that will result from a vote to leave.

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 12:29:13 AM »
There's a huge distinction between internal migration in the EU and refugees. You can't just lump them all together.

Migrants (temporary or otherwise) from within the EU have paid more tax than they've taken in benefits. The idea that they're spongers is a fiction cooked up by flag-waving fantasists spurred on the by the Mail and the Sun. And I seriously doubt that anybody is going to attempt to get from Syria to Corfu in an inflatable.

We are NOT part of the Schengen Area, and our borders are as secure as they ever were.

The EU is imperfect, flawed, and under the influence of wealthy multi-national corporations. But that seems to me to be a better option than the kamikaze dive into economic chaos that will result from a vote to leave.

Poppycock

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 01:21:59 AM »
Lucid and well-argued reply, George.

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 01:50:41 AM »
Good to see a well structured argument?

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2016, 10:47:49 PM »
If we weren't already in would you vote to join? Any takers. I strongly believe that in 10 years time the EU won't exist as we know it. To survive the eurozone will have to integrate ever closer leaving the likes of UK ever more on the outside looking in. With the continued rise of some far right parties Europe ain't going to be a pretty place.

As for the CBI and other big business supporting the IN campaign these are the same people who said we should join the euro or lose out. That went well.
When God created Wales he was just showing off

Gavlah1973

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2016, 06:18:34 PM »
Pretty much my viewpoint!!

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2016, 07:09:05 PM »
As Gavin said, this is one of the most divisive issues that I can remember.

I don't think, given the geography, that there's any chance of Syrian refugees landing on Corfu. So we can rest safely, Mythos in hand, undisturbed by the vast humanitarian crisis that's still unfolding.

It's important, I think, to (as others have said) distinguish between given shelter to refugees and economic migrants from EU countries. Despite the manifest lies that Farage has told (he said that we faced an influx of immigrants from Romania and Bulgaria that was actually bigger than the populations of both countries combined) EU immigrants have paid lots of tax, taken few benefits, and represent an effective export.

The In/Out debate will be an angry and often irrational one over the next three months. There are valid arguments on both sides. I veer on the side of staying in because the Out campaign has so far failed to present any coherent plan and has instead relied upon vague flag-waving and a Dad's Army approach to economics. Give me some facts. I'm listening!

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni