Author Topic: No Signal.  (Read 19084 times)

Offline WINKIE

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
No Signal.
« on: March 08, 2016, 07:28:33 PM »
Looking for advice folks. I am with Vodaphone,and when in San Stef,I get no signal in the village,I have another phone with no "sim" card,would it be worthwhile buying a sim card?, in the village (if available),to use a Greek provider for service?.Hope this makes sense,not up to scratch with all this new technology stuff  :-[ :-[ Thanks for any info/ advice.

If its not one thing,its your mother.

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: No Signal.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 11:21:31 PM »
Bought one a couple of years ago J.  Was only available at Acharavi or Corfu town. SIM only lasts for 6 months, only costs about a fiver.

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 10:44:14 AM »
You may have to recheck re Greek SIM they changed the 'rules' a few years back where you had to register to have even a pay as you go one.  I live here but actually have a Pay as you Go with EE UK and use a rates for mates overseas package so a UK number and it works out cheap enough, I can pick up the Wifi and Messenger etc and top up on line......

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 10:51:38 AM »
You may have to recheck re Greek SIM they changed the 'rules' a few years back where you had to register to have even a pay as you go one.  I live here but actually have a Pay as you Go with EE UK and use a rates for mates overseas package so a UK number and it works out cheap enough, I can pick up the Wifi and Messenger etc and top up on line......
yes, I had to register Lesley, and produce my passport.

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 03:04:23 PM »
 If you have a spare phone why not consider a free sim from Tesco Mobile .You could go on a Pay as You Go tariff while on holiday.
 I never have a problem getting a signal as it uses the same network as O2. I even got a call in the middle of the Ionian sea when returning from a trip to Albania and when travelling around Israel a few years ago.Worth a try.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 03:32:37 PM »
O2 and Orange (EE) always connect to local network. As long as you have enabled "roaming," of course.

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 07:17:59 PM »
I don't enable "roaming"

Offline WINKIE

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 08:00:08 PM »
Thanks folks, for taking the time to reply,much appreciated.I`m a little confused about "roaming", although I have heard of it,my friend Google may provide some help. Hope you all have a superb holiday come the time,hopefully meet up with you at some point  8)
If its not one thing,its your mother.

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 08:09:45 PM »
Enable "roaming" for voice and text, not data?

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 12:18:20 AM »
If you don't tell your phone provider that you need to make calls from overseas you will not be able to.

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 07:43:30 PM »
If you don't tell your phone provider that you need to make calls from overseas you will not be able to.
Sorry Jim but you don't have to do that with Tesco Mobile as they are set up to work abroad and automatically connect to the local network.The details are all on their website.
 Usually my phone pings as soon as I get in the taxi at the airport "Welcome to Greece" and goes onto the Cosmote network.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2016, 04:08:56 AM »
Sorry Jim but you don't have to do that with Tesco Mobile as they are set up to work abroad and automatically connect to the local network.The details are all on their website.
 Usually my phone pings as soon as I get in the taxi at the airport "Welcome to Greece" and goes onto the Cosmote network.
Mine does too, but Tesco have a small proportion of the market.
Jim is right in saying that you generally have to register for roaming in most networks - this I did and it connects automatically now as yours does.
I am with the Three Mobile which has it's own 3G/4G network and a partnership with the old Orange / T-Mobile networks combined - it also offers a "Feel at Home" service in most of Europe and other countries so you can use your contract minutes at no extra charge - - - (Just not in Greece yet - but I hear it's coming!) - Also free Virginnet WiFI from London Underground stations. You can also call over the internet using an App called  inTouch app, enabling Three customers to route calls and text messages via a local Wi-fi network where the Three mobile signal is intermittent or unavailable.
Note: extract from Wikipedia:International access
Until 2009, Three subscribers in the UK, Ireland, Austria, Italy, Denmark, Sweden, Hong Kong and Australia could use their service on Three networks around the world for no extra charge with "3 Like Home".[24] The service was relaunched on 30 August 2013 as "Feel At Home" for UK customers visiting Australia, Austria, Denmark, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy and Sweden where calls, texts and data consume the same amount of purchased airtime "minutes" as for communication within the UK. Since then, additional countries have been added to "Feel At Home" including: Finland, France, Indonesia, Israel, Macau, New Zealand, Norway, Spain, Sri Lanka, Switzerland and the USA.
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2016, 10:14:50 AM »
Yes, Lesley is correct when she says you have to register yourself here to buy even a pay as you go sim. We had to buy one a few weeks ago, having lost our Greek phone, and had to produce passport, and Greek tax ID number.

Take the advice of the others, and bring something from the UK that will connect to the Greek network.

Just be careful if you go to the NE coast, where, if you get a 'welcome to Albania' message, turn off roaming. They are not in EU, and costs are extortianate!

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2016, 10:28:27 AM »
For goodness sake don't mention the EU! You may just have got away with it!

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2016, 12:56:42 AM »
We both have duo sim phones..as far as i know not available in uk.use O2 for txts to uk 3p per txt.and Belfius for use in Belgium and europe for less than O2. So have the option depending where we travel..also both connect to roaming automatically and no need to inform phone company..

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni