Author Topic: Car hire  (Read 9805 times)

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Car hire
« on: November 13, 2015, 02:51:23 PM »
Morning all. This may seem like a stupid question but what will I need to take to San Stef to hire a car and what's the best option insurance wise. I haven't driven abroad for 12 years or more since we had an unfortunate incident outside Alicante one year so I consider myself a green horn.

Any info as always gratefully received.

When God created Wales he was just showing off

Offline Teamnickos

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Car hire
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 05:09:10 PM »
I know very little about it but I do know that you need excess waiver insurance and it's cheaper to buy it before you go (than from the car hire firm). We used icarhireinsurance.com

Offline BAJ

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 05:43:29 AM »
Coverforyou.com cost £15 for a week to cover the insurance excess this summer.
Rentals in the village are Valantis at corfuexplorecarhire.com, though he doesnt have an office in the villge it can be prebooked on line or Thanassis at Tsarosrentacar.com

Offline richnsare

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 10:07:02 PM »
We've been stung in the past by not booking the insurance excess in advance and ended up paying an additional 100 euros more on the collection day. From looking at most of the larger companies, very few include this cover by default, but their prices are not the most competitive either. There are several local companies on Corfu and from spending a few minutes checking T&Cs most of them include all insurances and very low on no excess at all. Valantis at corfuexplorecarhire.com is one of them. We've also used Valantis when hiring for a few days in San Steph and they've always offered a good service and would definitely recommend them.

This year we're hiring a car for the full 2 weeks of our holiday and the smallest cars with Valantis are coming out at £171 for the full 2 weeks. As we've booked direct at the Perros (once again, can't wait!!) we'd be paying about £40-£50 each way for taxis and we usually hire a car for a couple of days, so doing it this way means we have our own car available for any smaller trips we want.

I'd definitely recommend these guys and also the driving abroad experience. Take your time, give way to locals and you will have a fantastic experience exploring Corfu, its well worth it.

Good luck.

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 01:55:53 AM »
Sounds a great deal.are you there in peak season?

Offline richnsare

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 08:34:35 PM »
Hi rilo57, we arrive on 15th September for 2 weeks. I've also been speaking with Valantis over the weekend and confirmed the price quoted is all inclusive and nothing else to pay, other than fuel of course :-)

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 12:18:05 AM »
Hi richnsare..have thought about that many times but quotes for july and august to me are not  practical..so for the moment will continue to use taxi service..unless i find a bargain like i had a couple of years ago but cant promote it...

Gavlah1973

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 01:05:01 PM »
Thanassis at Tsaros is also a great shout for car hire. He now has a decent little fleet

Offline D@G

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 02:59:18 PM »
Thanassis at Tsaros is also a great shout for car hire. He now has a decent little fleet

We use Thanassis to get a car for a few days, always great service.

Gavlah1973

« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 03:30:00 PM »
Until he chases you to Sidari  to get it back!!

Offline D@G

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 04:02:48 PM »
Haha close, was Arillas! Well remembered though!

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 08:02:03 PM »
I see San Stefanos Travel does Car hire as well, but is it their own or in partnership with someone else?
Anyone know ?
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni