Author Topic: Makes you think  (Read 5041 times)

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Makes you think
« on: November 25, 2014, 08:06:37 PM »
 We were in Agios Stefanos in September when the voting on Scotish Independence was happening.  We were sitting in a Taverna one day discussing
 this and the various financial advantages of living in Scotland namely free University education,free prescriptions and free care for the elderly.
 Curiosity prompted me to ask a Greek friend who was sitting with us and who like us is not in the first flush of youth "what happens here if you have to go into a care home does the Government pay or do you have to pay"? He looked completely puzzled so I rephrased my question "what happens when you get old and too ill for your family to look after you"? His answer to this was simply "we die"!!
 There don't appear to be any care homes for the elderly in Corfu and I believe there are only a couple in Athens,families look after their aged relatives and if they need nursing help they pay for private nurses.
  Why is it that people in so many other countries count it as a privelege to care for the parents who cared for them when they were young yet in Britain some see older people as a burden,a drain on the NHS and just too much trouble to look after. Makes you think!

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
Re: Makes you think
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 03:57:43 AM »
It's not a nice picture of the culture in the UK - like Eskimos - the old are likely to be put out on an ice flow - not a good ending....
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni