Author Topic: Mid May  (Read 9322 times)

Offline stuthecat

• View Profile
Mid May
« on: August 27, 2014, 04:58:23 PM »
Hi everyone, thinking of taking "she who must be obeyed" out for a cheeky week in the middle of May for our 20th anniversary.  We've only ever been in the height of summer before, so will all the restaurants be open by then?
I'm thinking the feel of the village will be even more laid back, if its possible?
Then there is the question of weather, i'm guessing that it could be around 20 degrees, and a chance of some rain?

Thoughts would be welcome.
 ??? ??? ???

Offline abbo

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Mid May
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 08:52:37 PM »
Hi there, we've been mid-May a few times and really like it. The weather isn't as guaranteed but is relatively settled (compared to October for example). Temps can be up to 30c, nights need another layer.

The village is 85% alive with almost all places upon, the beach being the one area that is yet to really spring to life. Though the likes of Havana are full-speed-ahead.

One of the best things at that time is seeing all the fireflys jumping around at night.

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 10:56:25 PM »
Also the bird life (feathered type) is great in May

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 12:55:33 AM »
May is lovely...weather generally pretty good, cooler evenings requiring an extra, lightweight layer. Daytimes don't have the intense heat of August, so is great if you like walking.
Lots of flowers in bloom, and as someone else mentioned, the fireflies are out, which are beautiful, twinkling away at night.

The sunbeds may not necessarily be out all along the beach, but theres plenty of pools to visit.

Also, this year just abbout everyone was open by mid May, so plenty of choice for eating drinking and shopping.

Offline stuthecat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 04:29:26 PM »
Thanks everyone for your thoughts, looks like I just need to get it booked.

Offline Andy7

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 10:59:40 PM »
You will be lucky to see 30c in mid-May as the average is 23c but that's still nice and much better than the UK South Coast in July.

I have been many times in May and the weather is usually good although be prepared for a day or two (or three) of rain and low temperatures during a typical fortnights stay.

However, if the weather is good Corfu is better in May than during the summer.

By mid May most of the restaurants are open.

Andy

Offline Buttons1

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 11:26:12 AM »
We went in May this year 9th - 25th. The weather was lovely, but as I don't sunbathe, not essential. We were able to visit places in relative comfort - the crowds were a lot less (we have also been in August). We would have no worry about booking May again. We are actually having a cheeky week departing on Thursday - weather is looking good too.

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 01:53:13 PM »
Not good here at the moment Buttons, very strong winds causing damage.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 01:59:26 PM »
Set to clear up on Saturday...

Offline Pud

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 01:10:59 AM »
We have been going in May for the last 10 years and in my opinion it is the best time to go.  The weather is usually low to mid 20's and while there is a chance of some rainy days it never bothers us.  San Stef is just coming alive and most of the hotels and eating places are already open.  The fireflies are also a sight to behold.

Offline Buttons1

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 11:11:46 AM »
Oh no - to the weather.  :o

All the forecasts I've looked change every time I look. I think a week ago it was showing sunshine and in the 80's. Today showing rain from 1700 tomorrow and again on Friday. A few days of sum before rain again. Oh well, we won't be working and that is a bonus.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2014, 01:42:15 AM »
Still lovely and things to see and do
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni