Author Topic: Another great holiday!  (Read 15209 times)

Offline Silverstar

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
Another great holiday!
« on: September 04, 2014, 05:18:54 PM »
Back Tuesday after another brilliant two weeks in San Stefanos :)

Already booked in with Vagelis again for 10th August next year and suspect I am coming for 3 weeks instead of 2 as its just not long enough!

Met a forum member in the Nafsika pool (Benson aka Paul) who was an absolute star and we had a really lovely time with him and Denise (Mrs Benson).

Also saw old friends from last year and everyone was great to Nate my 4 year old son who was recently diagnosed with autism and went out of their way to be kind to him :)

Weather was fab apart from the storm hitting Monday night as we were packing to come home and drove to Kerkyra in torrential rain and lightening!

Review of restaurants

Nafsika     
Ate their 4 times and was poolside most days so had lunch several times there too.  Lunches were fabulous (grilled chicken and Greek salad my favorites) and our last two evening meals there were very good.  I had lamb chops and they were huge and the best I had during my stay.  Also enjoyed being a guinea pig for Speros and trying his new fried feta and also the parma ham wrapped baked figs - absolutely loved all of it!

Beachcomber   
Ate their twice and first time was superb as usual (fillet steak to die for) but the second visit they appeared to be having some issues in the kitchen and we had an almost 2 hour wait for our main course and although the fillet steak was wonderful, my parents had the sirloin which was not very good apparently.   However still one of my favorites restaurants.

Fantasea
Very good food - had lamb chop and were very good.   Also they made us Panacotta which was very good and the staff are just lovely and cannot do enough to please.

2 Stars
This was a 'duty dinner' as Stefanos works there and we felt obliged to eat there as he is a long standing friend of 30 years....
However, probably the worst meal I've ever had in SS and the crepe dessert was so bad that I had to wrap it in a napkin and stuff into my handbag to dispose of later because I didnt want to upset Stefanos....
The food is generally just ok in my opinion and I struggle to see why people rave about it, but each to their own...

Zorbas
I didn't choose well for my main and so didnt really enjoy it and my dessert was chocolate souffle which they microwaved for too long and so was wrinkled up by time it reached me and I was pretty disappointed...
However everyone else really enjoyed it and the entertainment, ambience and service is always good.

Teresa
Went for the Greek night and was very good.  Enjoyed the food and entertainment and apart from Leo setting himself on fire, it was a good night!

Dionnysos (Afionas)
I was warned beforehand that the food was not great but worth going for the view...they were right!   Food was average but service was good and view over St George's bay was to die for - worth going for a coffee and to sit and take in the scenary.

Quattro
Ate their twice and had two fabulous meals.  The antipasti platter to start was divine and I had the Parpadelle con pollo which was so good I didnt want it to end!    Took Spiros (bikes) and his wife Maria on Sunday night and they absolutely loved it as well.   A great addition to the resort.

Yiannis
A hidden gem.   Lovely food and attentive staff at reasonable prices.   Will be going back next year.

Ozzy Oil
Great meal and lovely setting - always enjoy eating here and this year was no different.

Blue Heaven (St Georges Beach)
Good food with a wonderful view of the bay - couldn't ask for more!

Also enjoyed spending cash in Elisabeth's (4 handbags last year and another 3 this year...) but really missed the ice cream parlour and the lovely Yiannis and Maria :(   

Popped into Hippopots and met Jackie who was lovely and introduced her to Nate but didnt dare take him back to paint a pot as suspect he would have wiped out half her stock....!

Had a few lovely evenings finish at Summer Dreams which I hadn't been to since I was about 17 and my mum and dad had never been in despite 30 odd years of coming to SS.  Really loved it though - gorgeous setting and lovely coffee and tirimasu! :)

Only had one day on SS beach as I much prefer St George's beach to be honest so we did a few days there instead and also had a drive to Kassiopi one day which I still love and is looking a lot economically healthier than it was last summer.   The hotel on the harbour front has reopened as the Melia Hotel and looks beautiful and very cosmopolitan!

A really lovely holiday and met some really lovely people who look to be coming the same time next year as us so will be fabulous to see them again!

Offline D@G

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
Re: Another great holiday!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 07:23:20 PM »
Great review, thanks for sharing.

It's good to hear that I was just unfortunate with my small lamb chops from the Nafsika this year because I always remember them to be huge (and delicious) too.

We also love Ag. Georgios beach too, only at the far end though where it slopes gently into the sea, spent a couple of afternoons there last month too.

Gavlah1973

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 08:30:02 PM »
Great review..... Copy and paste onto the FB page!

Offline Silverstar

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 08:37:20 PM »
I can't Gav, Stefanos is a member of that group and I don't want to upset him regarding the 2 Stars meal....!

Offline Teamnickos

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 08:39:52 PM »
Great review, thanks. Glad you had a good time. You've convinced me that I've made the right choice to return next year  :)

Gavlah1973

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 11:48:16 PM »
Oops!

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 12:14:47 AM »
Nice to meet you Silverstar, and it sounds like you had a great holiday!

Maybe try bringing Nate in to paint next year....one year older can make a difference  :)

Glad you had a nice time, see you next year. 

Offline benson

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 01:32:55 PM »
A great review, and it was a real pleasure to meet Silverstar and her lovely family – Nate is a Superstar!

And thanks to Silverstars recommendation we ate at Beachcomber for the first time this year, a superb meal with great wine and of course the views. The food is about as Greek as my old Aunt Maud but the wine was Greek and very, very good and exceptional values at 18 euros.

Also thanks to Gavlah for his recommendation for Yiannis (Arillas Rd), been walking past it for years – not any more - a must do every holiday from now on.

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 06:20:23 PM »
 Pleased to hear you and your family enjoyed another holiday in San Stefanos. Just a suggestion,next time you go to Afiones why not try eating
 in the Porto Timoni Taverna,it's next door to Dyonisos,same lovely views and excellent food.

Offline BarbaraG

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 07:25:15 PM »
Silverstar, I'm curious as to how on earth you can fit all those extra handbags into your luggage?

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 07:45:08 PM »
Pleased to hear you and your family enjoyed another holiday in San Stefanos. Just a suggestion,next time you go to Afiones why not try eating
 in the Porto Timoni Taverna,it's next door to Dyonisos,same lovely views and excellent food.

You're right Dup, Porto Timoni is great.

Offline Silverstar

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2014, 05:47:35 PM »
Thanks Dup, we heard about it the next day from Benson I think, but never managed to get back up there again but will deffo try next year!

Barbara - I have a cunning plan......Nate's trunki is filled as handluggage on the way out with wipes, non liquid toiletries (face wipes etc) and also his night time pull ups............so on the way home its empty as everything has been used...........HANDBAG SPACE!!!! :)

The girls in Elisabeths literally rub their hands when they see me coming..... ;D

Offline Papapetros

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 08:55:39 PM »
Thanks Dup, we heard about it the next day from Benson I think, but never managed to get back up there again but will deffo try next year!

Barbara - I have a cunning plan......Nate's trunki is filled as handluggage on the way out with wipes, non liquid toiletries (face wipes etc) and also his night time pull ups............so on the way home its empty as everything has been used...........HANDBAG SPACE!!!! :)

The girls in Elisabeths literally rub their hands when they see me coming..... ;D

Give Anemos a try, you will not be disappointed.

Offline benson

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 10:31:04 PM »
So there are 3 restaurants up there? I've was told so but only managed to find 2.

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2014, 11:19:15 PM »
Yep there are definatly 3 up there,walked by them last monday.all within 5 min walk.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni