Author Topic: Towel mafia at Romanza....  (Read 48116 times)

Offline Canary

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
Towel mafia at Romanza....
« on: August 07, 2014, 01:44:57 PM »
Hi there, just returned from a blissful 2 weeks in San stefanos, just have to love the place. However, even more annoying than the wasps in Afionas, is that the towel reservation mafia have arrived at the Romanza.  Having stayed here for the past 5 years one of the lovely things about the place was the consideration of other guests. However a couple of days this time ALL beds were 'reserved' by 7.30am, with the occupants emerging by 11 if you're lucky. A pair of flippers is now enough to gain control of 2 beds for the day. Just a shame that some of the more considerate guests who come down when they are ready end up with no where to sit.....it's still an idyllic spot though....

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Towel mafia at Romanza....
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2014, 02:23:19 PM »
Now this is a touchy subject...think there is a thread last year about the same problem.same time same place.dummys flying everywhere

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 03:06:24 PM »
This was mentioned in a recent TripAdvisor review, which was somewhat less than complimentary.

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2014, 09:40:18 PM »
I read trip advisor review from last year and same was said for the Nafsika, where a group saved 11 beds eveey day with towels, in prime spot and the reviewer realised the group were not even staying in the Nafsika hotel.  It was sad to read as have always thought how wonderful it was that people did not feel the need to do this in Ag Stef. I sort of had it in my mind that this selfish behaviour didn't happen there. Such a shame

Offline Smiffy Boi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 03:13:03 PM »
 :( :( :( :( :( :( :( such a massive shame... Sometimes I wish San Stef would return to its quiet former self.

Offline Richard/Jackie/Nathan

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 04:05:08 PM »
We stayed at Romanza in June 2012 and vowed never again as have never been anywhere so cliquey in all our years of travelling.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 04:29:40 PM »
I think it would be a good idea for all apartments and hotels to to forbid non-residents from claiming sunbeds before (say) 10am. 

Offline Silverstar

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 06:12:47 PM »
Just read the review on Tripadvisor about towels and I suspect that they are talking about my family.

We stayed in vagelis' villa behind Nafsika but as Spiros is a personal friends of over 30 years, we asked if it was ok if we used the pool in the daytime and he was more than happy to have us.

We did put towels down at 8.30am'ish ahead of having breakfast (Nafsika) and getting on the sunbeds by 9am most mornings (i.e. we didnt put towels down and then not use the beds until hours later). 

We werent there every day (ventured out to Kassiopi, SS beach and St Georges beach on various days) and we ate breakfast and lunch every day at the Nafsika.

Now, the poolside had plenty of spare sun beds every day and on a couple of occasions when it was busier, we gave up 2 or 3 of our sunbeds and lay on lilo's instead so other people (who werent staying at the hotel either...) could have a sunbed.

However, I do think what the people at the Romanza did was out of order - I would never put a towel on a bed and not use it for several hours.

Offline D@G

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 06:46:33 PM »
It's a tricky one.

In the situation that SilverStar describes above, even though her family are not staying at the Nafsica, they are eating there once or twice a day which actually makes them more profitable guests to Nafsika than even families that are staying half board (Nafsika receive low prices from Thomsons per head)

Laying a towel out whilst nipping to the bar/for breakfast is fine but it's out of order waking early to reserve a bed and disappearing for the day. I'd agree that Jimbos idea to remove all towels from beds at a set time but this would need to be enforced by the hotels themselves.

Thankfully we will have no such problems at the Perros.

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 07:18:31 PM »
I think it would be a good idea for all apartments and hotels to to forbid non-residents from claiming sunbeds before (say) 10am. 

Difficult to know Jimbo, who is a resident and who is not just by looking at towels.

At a large hotel we visit in Tenerife they have the policy that towels will be removed from sunbeds (if not currently occupied) before 10.00am. This is enforced strictly and newcomers soon get the message.

I think that the small hotel owners in Ag Stef would be reluctant to remove towels and maybe upset residents.

At The Romanza Hotel it would be difficult for staff to remove towels as the only staff present around the pool are not the owners, they would require permission from the two owners and I think the owners would be reluctant to do this.

Perhaps some signage around pools forbidding this practice would be helpful!

Gavlah1973

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 09:46:46 PM »
We have stayed there before back in 2010 and pre child days.
I had to get up around 8am and nab two beds. Wife joined me around 9 for brekkie, then (apart from lunch) we stayed on them till 6ish.
It can be a bit cliquey up there..... I think it's because it gets a lot of repeat visitors at exactly the same time of year. Also I think the hill means folk spend more time round the pool than other guests.

I love their food and also the staff, I don't miss the fight for sun beds. This year at the Perros we went down around 10am and not one bed taken most taken. Same next door at Jasmine. Stayed at Tsaros last year and again..... Loads of beds
The sunbed situation seems unique to Romanza and Thomas Bay

Linnetman

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 10:26:54 PM »
Never had to fight for sun beds at The Romanza in Sept and have been going for last 5 years.
If we did, I would certainly raise the question with management asking what steps are they going to take to resolve problem. Not complain on forums or Trip Advisor.

Gavlah1973

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 11:19:19 PM »
You've been lucky Linnetman. We were there first week Sept and was bad.
To be honest there weren't many people leaving the beds...... Just seemed like not enough beds for the amount of guests

Linnetman

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 11:54:03 PM »
We always fly out 1st Friday in  Sept. So will be interesting to see what it's like this year.

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2014, 12:03:38 AM »
We always fly out 1st Friday in  Sept. So will be interesting to see what it's like this year.

See you there Linnetman, but as I remember late August last year was the worst I'd seen, about 12/15 sun beds in a row "allocated" by 7.30am. Hope it's better this year.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni