Author Topic: Airport security  (Read 27514 times)

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Airport security
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 11:07:18 PM »
Would still do coach transfers but for the travel sickness.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline LouiseB

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 11:20:41 PM »
Was nice to see.u briefly jimbo on the coach :) hope u enjoyed your holiday

Offline bluemoon

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 10:52:06 PM »
i know i may be being thick but with all the talk about phones being charged up our latest email from thomsons says all electrical goods in hand luggage - so that means my hairdryer?

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 11:52:34 PM »
No - Just stuff that has big batteries, like laptops, tablets, e-readers.

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2014, 12:03:55 AM »
And mobiles?

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2014, 12:32:58 AM »
Best in the flight bag. They don't seem to care about them in terms of X-Ray. Digital cameras also best in flight bag. It's a while since I was asked to turn anything on.

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2014, 12:43:26 AM »
Never been asked to!

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2014, 01:04:54 AM »
I have been in the past on business trips to Europe and the USA, but not for a long time.

There is - according to New Scientist - new technology that can identify explosives without all this hassle, but very few (unspecified) airports have it.

It's a crazy world, so this seems to me to be a minor irritation, and we should be glad that potential threats are taken seriously. How efficient it is we can't know, but at least there is a show of trying.

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2014, 07:49:53 PM »
 Don't want to scare you but ........! there is an article in the Telegraph with the headline "Gatwick Airport baggage chaos,holiday-makers face flying without luggage"  It appears that Swissport ,who are on zero hours contract, are short of staff made worse at the weekend as they don't want to work unsocial hours. Some people who flew out last weekend are still without their luggage.  Gatwick warns that the situation could be worse this coming weekend and could go on for four months. Not only that but people are having to wait up to four hours for baggage after landing back at Gatwick.

Might be a good idea to pack a few essential items of clothing in hand luggage.Hope I haven't scared you too much,you can read the whole article on line.

Offline WINKIE

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2014, 10:40:38 PM »
Read that Dupnica,Monarch have cancelled their contract with Swissport,and are supplying their own handlers,terrible situation  >:(
If its not one thing,its your mother.

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2014, 11:37:19 PM »
Read that Dupnica,Monarch have cancelled their contract with Swissport,and are supplying their own handlers,terrible situation  >:(
Yes they have but are tied into their contract for another 120 days.

Offline Georgia

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2014, 01:46:00 PM »
Last year we were travelling with Thomson and the coach transfer took well over an hour. This year we travelled independently and Maria (at Peli & Maria's) booked a taxi for us. It was fantastic just going straight to Agios Stefanos without all the stop offs, or more importantly, sitting on the coach at the airport waiting for all the other people to finally get though baggage etc and get on the coach. The taxi took around 45 minutes and we were still able to enjoy the wonderful countryside. It cost 50 Euros.

At Corfu airport on the way home, I was stopped at the security bit you go through as I'd set off the alarm. The security woman told me to take off all my jewellery and come through again. She was still not happy and I got a full frisk pat down. She went everywhere including inside my bra! First time in all my decades of travel to be frisked. She did it twice, then shrugged, and told me it was ok. My husband was standing watching this laughing!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 01:48:39 PM by Georgia »

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2014, 04:06:57 PM »
  Worst airport security i had waw many years ago,when i was 18..went to majorca with my parents and family..Being a jumpt up teanager i was in my black leather jacket and was definatley not walking with my parents..I was stoped going through customs into majorca.
was told to open my case while they had a look through everything,being very confident they wouldnt find anything i was astounded that they found ladies underware,holding it in the air for all others to see.
 I did not know my mother had placed some of hers in my case as she had no room,red faced i left the building with my ego totally shot.

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2014, 06:41:43 PM »
 I wonder if it's the underwiring in bras that sometimes sets off the alarm,I'm always getting frisked.

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2014, 11:18:15 PM »
 Talking to a friend who works at Brussels airport who is on the security says there is no problem regardind kindles ,phones etc.they just go through scanners as normal.their machines can detect explosives via a colour code displayed on screen.so we should not have any probs i hope.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni