Author Topic: Airport security  (Read 27513 times)

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Airport security
« on: July 09, 2014, 10:21:49 AM »
In case you haven't heard the news, it looks as though the requirement to power-up electronic devices at Security, originally applying to USA flights only, may be extended to all flights.

We'll certainly leave 30 minutes earlier than we would have done this Friday. Security at Doncaster is unsmiling and overly jobs-worthy at the best of times, so I shudder to think what it will be like if they're told to step up their zeal. They usually insist on swabbing my Kindle and making me sign a log-book. Gillie's hand-bag is frequently disassembled.

The underlying reason is that the high-density batteries in modern devices are the obvious thing to replace with explosives.

Duh!

Offline LouiseB

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Airport security
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 12:46:31 PM »
I'm flying from.Doncaster on Friday too 2.15pm flight ! Never flown from the airport so thanks.for the heads up....Looks like I will be changing the taxi time again lol....but I'm all for extra security....hate flying lol

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 02:47:51 PM »
Hi, Louise,

We'll be on the same 14:10 flight! I'll wear a forum sticker, so maybe we'll see you in the departure lounge - come and say hello.

Donny is a nice airport to fly from. It's small (only 6 gates) and has lots of car parking space right outside the terminal. It's only a few miles on small roads from the M18/M180 to the airport, and next year the new motorway spur will go straight from the M18 to the airport.

There's not a lot of shopping to be had (basically Duty Free and WH Smith), but there is a Weatherspoons for a bit of lunch and a drink, and a kiddies' play area if you fancy a spot of fun before departure.

So far, we haven't had any delays on many trips. Fingers crossed! Flight time from Robin Hood to Corfu is 2 hours 55 minutes, and the route is over Amsterdam, Austria and down the Adriatic, so even if the French air traffic controllers strike, it won't affect us. Wonderful views out of the left of of the plane flying down beside the Albanian coastal mountains. Don't be nervous - it's fun.

See you soon!

Offline LouiseB

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 09:35:39 PM »
Ahh brilliant jimbo !! Have never flown from.Doncaster even though it's just 30 mins away from me lol.....what do.the forum stickers look like ...I will keep my eyes peeled :)
I will be easy to spot....the nervous stressed 6ft tall crocked rib brunette haha !!

Offline LouiseB

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 09:42:18 PM »
Whats the transfer time.like into resort???? Last time we came  about 11yrs ago it felt like it took forever .... And felt like we would drop off the road it was so tight !!!!

We're staying at Barras

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 11:10:22 PM »
On a coach transfer can be from 1.5 hours upwards depending how many people are dropped off before you. By taxi / minibus about 50 minutes. They don't go through Sidari anymore so coach transfer not as horrendous as it was
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 03:05:31 AM »
Louise - Forum sticker on the left! I'm the rather distinguished-looking, tastily-slender, 5' 6" tall man (probably) carrying a red rucksack - accompanied by a beautiful blonde.

Gavlah1973

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 12:00:07 PM »
People reporting very quick transfers this year

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 04:58:02 PM »
On a coach transfer can be from 1.5 hours upwards depending how many people are dropped off before you. By taxi / minibus about 50 minutes. They don't go through Sidari anymore so coach transfer not as horrendous as it was
We were about an hour and a half coming in on 27th June and they went through Sidari, but fortunately, not too many drop offs. About 2 hours going back to airport.

Offline benson

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 10:00:54 AM »
Get a taxi transfer, best 110 euros you'll spend.

Offline Rod

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 02:48:05 PM »
Get a taxi transfer, best 110 euros you'll spend.

I actually look forward to the coach journey.  It's not about the cost.  Another half an hour on the coach is rather nice and no burden whatsoever.

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 03:59:13 PM »
I actually look forward to the coach journey.  It's not about the cost.  Another half an hour on the coach is rather nice and no burden whatsoever.
I have to agree Rod.  The scenery is beautiful and it is fun watching the driver trying to negotiate the tight corners and bends!!

Offline tenbeech

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 07:08:02 PM »

Have to agree  We both enjoy the coach transfer ,  although one year we had a driver named Leo , he must have been an ex F 1 driver , didn't know a coach could go that fast backwards coming out of The Rose Garden
Adventure before dementia

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 02:18:56 PM »
Transfer was fine on Friday, after a few drop-offs in Corfu Town and Dasia. About 1 hour 30 minutes.

Personally, I'd rather spend the money on food and drink.

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 10:03:07 PM »
We have found the transfers to be fine in recent years. We generally arrive at around 11.30 at the airport, and the journey is usually quite pleasant. As Jimbo says, more to spend on food and whatever takes your fancy?

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni