Author Topic: Travelling as a lone parent  (Read 14188 times)

Offline Sameds

• View Profile
Travelling as a lone parent
« on: July 01, 2014, 09:38:30 PM »
Hi I've just booked Barras hotel in august for myself and 2 daughters (got a bargain on Thomsons). This is the first time I've traveled on my own with the kids. Can anyone tell me is it a friendly place? And will I feel safe? I am pretty familiar with corfu, have stayed at Arillas previously and driven through San stefanos a few times. Would be useful to know where we can go in the evenings that has entertainment that the kids will enjoy (they are 4 and 8) and that won't be too painful for me ;-)! Any other tips for travelling on my own with kids would be gratefully appreciated.

Offline strogs

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Travelling as a lone parent
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 10:23:03 PM »
I have always said if I had to go on holiday on my own San Stefanos would be the ideal place.  I am sure you will be fine.  It is one of the friendliest resorts I have been too.

Offline Silverstar

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 04:33:48 PM »
Hi

Its one of the best places that you could go on your own with the kids.  Crime free and totally safe and full of lovely lovely people.

What dates in August are you there?  I'm there from 18 Aug for 2 weeks and have a 4 year old little boy :)

Offline Sameds

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 08:24:55 PM »
Hi thanks for your reply it's put my mind at rest. I'm there from 18th august for a week.

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 11:16:35 PM »
Hi Sameds,

Don't worry, we are a very friendly and safe resort. This is our second season here, and we have never seen any issues, or reason for anyone to feel insecure.
I regularly take a walk round the village in the evenings. None of the bars our tavernas 'tout' you for business so you can walk around without feeling intimidated in any way.

We have the ceramics shop just up the road from Barras. We are a retail shop, but we also do paint your own pottery. We have items from 10euros each for kids to paint. Just pop along anytime, if they decide to paint, just make sure you come nearer the start of your holiday so we can glaze and fire the items for you.
Feel free to pop by anytime if you have any queries during your holiday...we're happy to help!

Offline Sameds

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 11:48:50 PM »
Aw thank you hippopots. The kids would love to do that, I will pop in when I'm there. Can't wait to come over now... Not long.

Offline Georgie2002

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 12:19:56 AM »
Hiya

I'm a single parent too and in 2012 stayed at Barras with my daughter who was 9 at the time. First time I took her to Corfu on my own she was 6. I've always felt safe in Corfu, and especially San Stefanos, you couldn't have picked a better place! Barras is absolutely lovely and the staff were so nice to my daughter - although were convinced we were sisters!! We did a couple of day trips with San Stef Travel but other than that were at the pool or beach. Just get some lilos and water pistols and it's enough entertainment to last for days! A lot of the restaurants do Greek dancing in the evenings which is great entertainment for the kids and grown ups! There was also Bingo at Thomas Bay hotel (next door to Barras) which my daughter loved! And an Elvis impersonator that I loved! :) I'm sure you will feel safe and all three of you will have a fantastic time!
Georgie

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 12:37:03 AM »
 Yep totally agree.you will be as safe as houses.iv been visiting since 1990 and  have never had the slightest problem of any kind...nor seen any bad issues..oh tell a lie,THE DOUGHNUT  man comes to mind...Not heard any news this year though.Just dont buy anything from traders who tout along the beach,not that they are around every day.No doubt you will see the chinese lady on the beach offering different types of massage,very good so ive heard.but if you say no thanks she will move on....just enjoy..we arrive 24th august

Offline Sameds

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 12:39:47 AM »
Hi Georgie, thanks for your reply. Everyone is so friendly on here, think I have definitely picked the right place in San Stefanos. Will look into the bingo place, that's the kind of thing the kids love in the evening, especially if there's other kids to play with. Not sure about Elvis but a couple of wines and I won't mind ;-)!

Offline Georgie2002

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 02:05:13 AM »
You've definitely picked the right place! We're going to Lindos in Rhodes this year which is somewhere I've always wanted to go, but there's a little bit of me that wishes we were going back to San Stef, that holiday was the best two weeks of our lives!  Definitely look into the bingo, Lauren's loved it since she was 6! And won many times, very jammy!! I think we played two or three times at Thomas Bay over the two weeks :) They had other events/tribute acts other than Elvis so don't worry! ;)

Offline Silverstar

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 03:19:58 PM »
Sam

I will see you there then no doubt - we are staying behind the Nafsika hotel in Vagelis 3 bed villa so if you are around the Nafsika pool and see a 4 year old boy whizzing round it whilst shrieking his head off, that'll be us!! :)

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2014, 06:42:13 PM »
 We got back on Monday,didn't see the Chinese massage lady but did see the swindling DOUGHNUT MAN pedling his stale doughnuts and rotting fruit! The only ones I ever buy things from are the deaf people who come round the tavernas in the evening,I've bought some excellent torches and other novelties from them and they're not expensive.

Offline Silverstar

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2014, 03:15:25 PM »
I agree

Those torches are bloody brilliant and I always buy stuff off them
x

Offline diane13

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2014, 12:15:13 AM »
Totally agree with all the comments others have made - you have definitely made the right choice you won't regret it and couldn't feel safer - everyone is lovely from bars, tavernas, shops and fellow holiday makers - have a lovely holiday but definitely DO NOT buy from the Doughnut Man on the beach. :)

Gavlah1973

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2014, 07:55:07 PM »
The young lady in Margaritas supermarket has lovely doughnuts

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni