Author Topic: THOMSON ON-LINE CHECK-IN ADVICE PLEASE  (Read 20840 times)

Offline gillybean 2871

• View Profile
THOMSON ON-LINE CHECK-IN ADVICE PLEASE
« on: June 19, 2014, 01:01:30 PM »
Hi everyone! 
With only 2 weeks to go until we fly out  8) I'm looking ahead to the check-in process.  We're flying from Edinburgh International Airport and are able to do Thomson on-line check-in 7 days before we fly.  This sounds great to me as I HATE the queues at the airport!!

However, my question is, when you arrive at the airport what happens to your cases?  I'm a bit of a control freak that way...my case took 4 days to arrive in Menorca once and I panic that the same will happen again!!

All advice appreciated!!

Thanks in advance  ;)

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: THOMSON ON-LINE CHECK-IN ADVICE PLEASE
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 01:54:06 PM »
The instructions say to take your bags to the baggage drop with passports and boarding cards.

Never done it this way before - so I think it's a case (sic) of stay calm and see what happens. Maybe others with experience at other airports can advise?

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 02:33:48 PM »
Hi, it will be our first time doing a bag drop off too, after reading other forums on the subject then make sure that you consider that there may be long queues for the bag drop off too, problem is that you will have no way of knowing until you arrive at the airport, people have missed flights even though they thought that they had allowed plenty of time because the gates closed before they reached the front of the queue. In our case the bag drop off opens 2 hours before departure but closes 40 minutes before departure so we have one hour and 20 minutes to drop bags off, all things considered we are going to be at the airport 3 hours before departure as we have no way of knowing how busy it will be, will just chill and have a coffee if no big queues.

Offline gillybean 2871

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 02:44:23 PM »
Thanks for that.  Yeah, I did think that the bag drop-off may be busy too so I've booked a cab which will get us there 2 hours before departure.  Once the cases are off our hands I'll have no problem passing a couple of hours....a nice big brekkie to start the day will mark the start of our long-awaited holiday.

:D

Offline lilly

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 03:20:00 PM »
Hi Gilly, I know what you mean regarding the suitcases, hopefully someone will be able to shed some light on what happens to the cases at drop off, I like to see the barcode attached to the case and knowing next time I see it (well hopefully) we will be in arrivals at Corfu airport. ;D ;D

Offline gillybean 2871

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 04:34:17 PM »
Hi Gilly, I know what you mean regarding the suitcases, hopefully someone will be able to shed some light on what happens to the cases at drop off, I like to see the barcode attached to the case and knowing next time I see it (well hopefully) we will be in arrivals at Corfu airport. ;D ;D

Yeah, exactly, it's not so much the drop off, it's the what happens next!  I like to see them labelled up and loaded onto the conveyor belt too! :-\

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 05:22:24 PM »
We flew from Stansted to Gran Canaria in March and had printed our boarding passes.  We went to the Thomson desks, one was for pre printed boarded passes and one for the 'old system'.  It basically works the same, they still weigh your cases and pop on your printed bar code sticker and you get your receipt, so don't worry anyone! I can see how it would be quicker if you had no hold luggage as you can go directly to departures.  The benefit was, we found, when we left Gran Canaria.  The pre printed boarding card people had a dedicated desk and instead of taking 30mins to an hour to check in, it took us 5 minutes, as hardly anyone had checked in on line.  I suppose this will all change when we all start to check in online.

Offline amanda j

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 08:10:24 PM »
Gillybean, I was stressing a bit about this to and concerned about our bags getting there but, I think I will do as always and pack outfits for each person across our 4 bags and if something goes astray its still annoying but we still have something to wear. I think its my work job that makes me make 'safety' lists so I write what's in each case and keep it separate , with me packing for all of us I can never remember ! I also put flip flops, a cossie, vest top, skirt in my carry on handbag in case of total disaster. We saw someone at Corfu airport loose 2 out of their 3 cases and the person filling the lost luggage claim wanted to know what was in the cases. Poor people, I felt so sorry for them. Never knew whether they got them back but boy were they stressed :S

Offline Teamnickos

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 10:04:05 PM »
So is the baggage drop the 'normal' check in desk or is it somewhere different?

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 10:15:20 PM »

Usually right next to the normal check in desks

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 02:23:00 AM »
It's going to depend upon the airport. I will report back on Robin Hood's facilities in three weeks' time, as Maid Marion once said. Allegedly.

Offline Andy7

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 11:54:49 AM »
We went to Corfu with Thomson last month and on-line check in was a joke as you still have to queue up to drop your bags off and the bag drop one was as long as the check in!

No time was saved what so ever the only difference was that Thomson saved a few pennies not printing your boarding pass off.

It would be better if you are hand luggage only but if you have bags then it's a waste if time. Thomson should learn from Easyjet which has a far more efficient system.

Andy

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2014, 02:41:56 PM »
Why am I not amazed????

Offline Caz

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2014, 03:57:13 PM »
We only travel with hand luggage but still get there at the recommended time to get through security and have breakfast.

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2014, 04:43:19 PM »
It is at Stansted, but yes may depend on different airports. We are always at the airport well before checking in time, so don't normally have to queue.  I can't see it making a great deal of difference coming out of Corfu airport though. Although in our experience, they are normally well organised!

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni