Author Topic: Local exchange rate as of today  (Read 22351 times)

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Local exchange rate as of today
« on: June 11, 2014, 04:09:37 PM »
TravelFX are offering 1.22e to the £ as of today which may or may not increase a little as the £ continues to rise against the Euro. My question is what's the rate in San Stef at present pre the 2% commission reduction?

I'm travelling in 4 weeks but looking at purchasing some extra euro's this week if the rate isn't as competative as TravelFX.

Much appreciated.

When God created Wales he was just showing off

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Local exchange rate as of today
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 04:15:40 PM »
Exactly one month ago it was 1.18 (so 1.156 after the dreaded 2% commission) in Ag Stef, according to SS Travel, I can't see that it will have improved much.

Get your euros before you travel, except if you want to keep the extra money in the village.

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 04:18:03 PM »
Good point Waspman. Getting more euros here means I have more to spend over there.

I'll think I'll go for it.
When God created Wales he was just showing off

Offline D@G

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 05:53:28 PM »
Exactly one month ago it was 1.18 (so 1.156 after the dreaded 2% commission) in Ag Stef, according to SS Travel, I can't see that it will have improved much.

Get your euros before you travel, except if you want to keep the extra money in the village.

;D

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 06:14:49 PM »
I managed to get an exchange rate of 1.23 from an ATM using a debit card (with no commission charges) three weeks ago.

Offline Andy7

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 04:12:12 PM »
Following rumours of a UK Interest rate rise the pound surged against the euro and I got 1.23 at Thomas Cook yesterday afternoon.

With the San Steph wedding coming up I need loads of euros so the best exchange rate for years is very welcome!

Andy

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 06:04:50 PM »
1.2360 TravelFX today.

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 08:34:23 PM »
1.2360 TravelFX today.

I know it is Jimbo, looking very good for the supper you promised me, does this include Mrs Wasp too?

I know you said that "if you get 1.22 on your card I'll buy you supper" if I can get 1.23, or even 1.24, will you make that dinner?

I can really smell that mousaka from here, but this won't cost you much because you can pay with your new Halifax Clarity card.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 10:20:58 PM »
I was thinking more pie and mash at Tasty Corner...

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2014, 10:48:03 PM »
Winners choice I think Jimbo!

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 11:41:57 AM »
Things are not quite that simple.

I bought 10 cartons of cigarettes at Maria's, using my Clarity card. The cost was €312.

If I had used cash at the rate I bought it, this would have cost £250.60 - but Maria charges 3.5% for credit cards, so the actual cost on my statement was £255.83.

Without the additional interest I would have paid £247.60 - in which case Clarity would have won. So, clearly, next time I will pay in cash!

Offline benson

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 04:09:04 PM »
It's cash for me every time, can't be bothered with pay up front cards or best rate credit cards.

Last week I bought 3,000 euros at Thomas Cook (order on-line first) and paid £2,420 in cash (just in case my bank charged me for buying foreign currency on my debit card) 1.237 ish - best rate in years.

Then I FORGET about the rate, don't start paying for a wonderful meal at Nafsika and beating myself up because I could have saved x pence/cents by paying for it in a different way.

We get free safety deposit boxes at Margaritas so I put 600 euros in my wallet then put 300 euros in 8 envelopes and number them 1 to 8. So when we've spent the first 600 I go to my saftey deposit box and take out envelope number 8 (and so on). This way its easy to keep a check on what you are spending.

if I run out I'll just take some out on my Nationwide debit card, not the cheapest way but I dont think I'll need much more than 3,000 - I hope !!

Offline Teamnickos

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 04:17:13 PM »
Agree, we only take cash, but people should be aware that travel insurance will have a very low limit on cash.

Hope the cigs last the rest of your holiday Jimbo ;D 

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 04:53:27 PM »
Things are not quite that simple.

I bought 10 cartons of cigarettes at Maria's, using my Clarity card. The cost was €312.

If I had used cash at the rate I bought it, this would have cost £250.60 - but Maria charges 3.5% for credit cards, so the actual cost on my statement was £255.83.

Without the additional interest I would have paid £247.60 - in which case Clarity would have won. So, clearly, next time I will pay in cash!

Yes, I know Maria charges commission on credit cards but it is 2% not 3.5%.

Even with a 2% commission I still got a reasonable exchange rate in Peli & Maria's shop (I also bought tobacco, not for me), couldn't resist her smile.

My purchase at Peli & Maria's was 1.26 minus 2% = 1.23 (which is better than the exchange rate in Ag Stef, after they've taken 2% commission)

As you probably know I was getting 1.26 on the majority of my purchases (tavernas mainly) using "no commission credit cards"

Revise your sums again Jimbo, using the correct commission of 2% I think you'll find that the Halifax Clarity Card was still better than paying cash at the rate you bought it in the UK (1.21 as I remember)

I suspect you didn't use the Clarity card much as you were staying at the Nafsika on half board but if ever go b&b it will serve you well when you eat out.

I've always found that it's best to use these cards only in places that do not charge commission and never in an ATM. Of course we all know that a few tavernas don't accept credit cards.

The other alternative for you Jimbo is to give up the "weed" then you can save shed loads, no, let's not start that one again!

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 06:37:46 PM »
Sorry George. It was 3.5%

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni