Author Topic: North End Of The Beach  (Read 7221 times)

Offline salopian

• View Profile
North End Of The Beach
« on: June 03, 2014, 12:41:05 AM »
Recently booked for a visit in August at Vickys following an absence of about 3 years.....absolutely love the village and the locals who are all so friendly. We first discovered San Stef in about 1989, and despite growing considerably since then, it has lost none of it's charm.

My question relates to the north end of the beach, beyond the "clothing optional" area. We have often walked to the end of the beach where the cliffs meet the sea, and presumed that it was just more cliffs beyond. However, looking on google earth, it looks like there is a further sandy area (and maybe a small cove) just beyond the cliffs that jut out. Is it possible to walk in the sea to this area, or would you need to swim? The little cove seems to have a track to it, just south of Avliotes.....Has anybody been there and is it difficult to get to? I did wonder if the cove was at the bottom of vertical cliffs.

Thanks in anticipation of your help.

Salopian

Offline Cheddar

• View Profile
Re: North End Of The Beach
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 12:58:20 PM »
Salopian,

Yes we ventured there last year and used the track down from the road as you say just south of Avliotes. There is a little beach, the sand was quite damp, but there were patches towards the back that were dry.

We got down there on a scooter without any dramas and will certainly call in again when next is San Stefanos, certainly worth an hour or so if total isolation is what you need.

Online Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 01:59:27 PM »
or a little boat from the harbour if you don't fancy the walk in the August heat. I am on reception at Vicky's and have a pack of walks around the area so when you stay with us just pop into reception and have a browse at my walk pack.......

Offline salopian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 07:45:59 PM »
Thanks Cheddar and Lesley....It sounds as though a visit to the cove might be worthwhile either by scooter or boat ( i agree that walking there in the August heat is probably not a good idea, especially as it will involve climbing the dreaded hill!)
We look forward to seeing lesley on the 17th August

Offline Woodman

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 12:17:15 PM »
You may be surprised how far you can walk this year, the rocks that jutted out from the cliff are no longer there, presumably covered by sand.  I may not be thinking of the same beach though, but its definitely worth seeing how far you can get without having to endure the hill!

Offline Caz

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 02:20:14 PM »
Kostas in Fantasea told us that where previously you had to wade more than thigh deep it can now be walked. Just another example of the changing shape of the beach I guess.

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 11:03:16 PM »
We were able to do that on our first visit 31 years ago, you could walk so far then and maybe just a bit of water around the ankles,
then over the years your access receded , looks like it's opened up again.
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni