Author Topic: Akrotiri  (Read 13864 times)

Offline kiterella

• View Profile
Akrotiri
« on: July 31, 2014, 10:07:56 PM »
Hi - have been going to San Stef for quite a few years & always intend to walk to Arillas but never actually get round to it!  Now that I have seen the Akrotiri's website we will definitely be paying a visit this year.  Can anyone advise which is the best way to get there please - is it up past Fantasea & if so how long would it take to walk from centre of San Stef?  Thanks  ;)

Offline WINKIE

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Akrotiri
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 10:37:45 PM »
Hi, I walked there twice in June.There is a path just past the 3 w,s cafe/bar,found it to be pretty rough underfoot,and took me about 15 mins,stopping for a breather.There is a tarmac road directly opposite the Perditas glass shop,found it to be a bit steeper,and took me roughly the same time.Worth it both ways,the view is stunning.Hopefully someone on here can give you an easier route,if there is one.
If its not one thing,its your mother.

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 11:01:17 PM »
Another way, a little bit longer but not as steep, is to follow the main road out of Ag Stef towards Arillas, when you get to a sharp left hand bend there is a sign pointing to the right saying "Gravia Bar". Take this road and at the top turn right to Akrotiri and straight in front of you is the cliff path to Arillas. If you turn left there is Gravia Bar with one one the best views over the island of Gravia and also Arillas

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 11:44:48 PM »
 If you walk up the road by Fantasea you will have a longer walk along the top but you will also have the pleasure of visiting the little church up there and enjoying the views over San Stefanos and Arrilas.There are a few places you can stop for refreshment,our favourite is Gravia.

Offline Teamnickos

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 11:45:59 AM »
Sorry to be dense but when you say the main rd out of San Stef and to Arillas , do you mean past 3W?
We've always walked up past Tsaros. Nice walk but defo quite steep if you're not fit (which I am  ;) )

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 12:01:38 PM »
Sorry to be dense but when you say the main rd out of San Stef and to Arillas , do you mean past 3W?
We've always walked up past Tsaros. Nice walk but defo quite steep if you're not fit (which I am  ;) )

Yes, past 3Ws and Ozzy Oil

Offline benson

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2014, 02:24:32 PM »
The main road is a long walk, and there are still slight hilly bits.
Shortest route - side of Nafsika but it's also the steepest.
Nice scenic route - side of Fantasea but it's a rough road and a little hilly but great views and bonus get to have a Mythos in the chicken shack bar.
The road up to tsaros (side of juice bar) is ok once you get to tsaros, we always stop off there ( we call it base camp) for a Mythos (I know it's not far from the bottom of the hill but it's rude not too!) after that there are trees that you can stand under in shade for a breather.

Whichever way you go you won't be disappointed once you're at the top of the hill.

Offline kiterella

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2014, 03:46:35 PM »
Thanks everyone - better get my flat shoes out :)  3 weeks today & we will be in San Stef - can't wait :)

Offline Teamnickos

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2014, 04:59:09 PM »
The main road is a long walk, and there are still slight hilly bits.
Shortest route - side of Nafsika but it's also the steepest.
Nice scenic route - side of Fantasea but it's a rough road and a little hilly but great views and bonus get to have a Mythos in the chicken shack bar.
The road up to tsaros (side of juice bar) is ok once you get to tsaros, we always stop off there ( we call it base camp) for a Mythos (I know it's not far from the bottom of the hill but it's rude not too!) after that there are trees that you can stand under in shade for a breather.

Whichever way you go you won't be disappointed once you're at the top of the hill.

Ha ha ha. Once you get to Tsaros you've only walked 2 minutes up the hill    ;D

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 07:03:19 PM »
 All depends if you want to take your time or get to Arrilas as quickly as possible,I think we've walked every route and there are interesting things to see on every one. The only thing I would advise is don't walk along the top after heavy rain as it gets very slippery. We did it once and I ended up pirouetting  in the mud and sitting down in a puddle.Had to return to our apartment where I stood in the shower fully dressed while my friend hosed me down. Never did get the mud out of the shorts and ended up throwing them away.
If we walk up past Tsaros we stop at the wall near the top and lean against it in the shade before we carry on for the last few yards.

Offline benson

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 07:58:20 PM »

Ha ha ha. Once you get to Tsaros you've only walked 2 minutes up the hill    ;D

I know but it's a cold Mythos !

Gavlah1973

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 08:35:15 PM »
Depends where you are staying I guess. If up at Jasmine/Perros/Rose Garden it's probably easier to walk up that way. We usually have a coffee at Gravia then carry onto Akrotiri for a beer. We then come back via the Tsaros and have a beer

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 09:57:02 PM »
Depends where you are staying I guess. If up at Jasmine/Perros/Rose Garden it's probably easier to walk up that way. We usually have a coffee at Gravia then carry onto Akrotiri for a beer. We then come back via the Tsaros and have a beer
No chance of you getting dehydrated then Gavin!

Gavlah1973

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 11:33:34 PM »
Non at all!!

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni