Author Topic: Beach  (Read 70553 times)

Offline cabmufc

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Beach
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2014, 01:46:31 PM »
Surely the taverna owners on the beach front whose livelihood is being threatened will have some names.I know there is a "do it tomorrow" culture in Greece life but there might be no tomorrow for their jobs if it carries on like this!!
Life is what you make it....Dont backdate it...

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2014, 02:27:44 PM »
Maybe Mike,up at Romanza might be able to offer some contacts.He works in politics in Corfu town.One for Lesley to chase.....

Pretty sure he works in the customs offices

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2014, 03:07:48 PM »
If you look at the Agios Gordios web page you will see that it's a problem down the entire west coast of Corfu.

Arrilas seems to be clear, as does Sidari, but given the tidal drift tends to be from north to south the headland probably protects it. There must be some vast seaweed beds out to sea.

Nuisance though it is, seaweed may indicate a healthy sea. Looks like this variety is called "Lobophora variegata." Posh or what?

This needs to be sorted out quickly. It will have damaging consequences for the village. Personally, I'd send Dimitris from Little Prince to Corfu Town to argue the case, together with Nikos from Athens Bar. No force on Earth could withstand them.

Offline Woodman

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2014, 05:27:15 PM »
We spoke to Noula this morning about it and she confirmed that they're waiting for the authorities to do the work, which has been delayed due to the elections last week. Now that they're done, hopefully things will get started. She said she asked a group of restauranteurs last week including Dimitris at LP, but she was told that they couldn't do anything without the relevant paperwork. Hang in there everyone, and in the meantime, use the pools and the beach from Mango and Havana, it's completely clear there.

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2014, 07:37:20 PM »
 The beach side proprietors couldn't make much of an impression on that amount of seaweed it's gone beyond anything a wheelbarrow and shovel

could tackle.It will be cleared eventually I'm sure, but in the meantime why don't all you people who book with Thomsons start complaining to them

after all one of their main selling points for San Stefanos is the wide,sandy beach "one of the best in Corfu" they say.Do they know that the beautiful

golden sand is covered in piles of smelly seaweed.They bring thousands of people to the village and to other parts of Corfu every year,do you think

they might have any influence with the "powers that be"?.

Please don't let anything put you off visiting the restaurants and tavernas in the old part of the village,you can walk up the road or on the beach

behind the heaps of seaweed,they need your support more than ever.

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2014, 08:02:31 PM »
 P.S. If things aren't resolved soon I can see our favourite place getting a slot on "Holidays From Hell".Come to think about it I remember it being

featured on that programme several years ago when people complained because the JCB was clearing the seaweed while they were trying to relax

on the beach.So just remember folks you can't have it all ways.

Offline Papapetros

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2014, 10:54:02 PM »
The local people are not allowed to do this. Papapetros - it requires permissions. It also requires a JCB and a truck to take the seaweed away.

I''m sure the locals would love to have the beach cleared. It will happen. Eventually.
The locals are not allowed to drive without seatbelts,they have to wear crash helmets when riding mopeds,no one under 16 years of age can drive a moped,they are not allowed to drink and drive,they must issue receipts for purchases,they are not allowed to smoke in enclosed bars/tavernas.Do they take any notice?Certainly not in my experience!!So,why are they playing to the rules now or are they playing politics?I know what my guess would be.
As regards a JCB,both Yiannis and Spiros have one and make at least part of their livings hiring them out and i know at least one local lorry driver who does the same.I know what i would do to protect my future and that of my family.If it carries on for too long,it wouldn't be the greatest surprise if Thomson cut back drastically next year.
I make these points because i care and for no other reason.

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2014, 02:40:38 AM »
Well Papapetros, that should draw a few comments!

Offline swedebasher

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2014, 01:26:53 PM »
The beach belongs to the Council (Esperion?), so why should the taverna owners pay to clear the beach? I am told the crux of the matter is that a bill for clearance of sea weed from last year or maybe 2012 has not been paid, so in which case I do not blame him for not continuing this year.
The Sopranos-la miglior serie in TV mai.
Mafiosa , Gomorra e Innan vi dör sono anche due serie eccellenti.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2014, 03:25:25 PM »
I'm sure the politcos in Corfu Town would love it if the village cleared the beach. Then they'd expect them to do it ever after.

It's a bit like the bypass, unfortunately. That stand-off wasn't solved in five minutes.

Offline swedebasher

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2014, 06:54:38 PM »
So very true Jimbo, mores the pity!!

Lorry on the beach right now I see.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 06:56:48 PM by swedebasher »
The Sopranos-la miglior serie in TV mai.
Mafiosa , Gomorra e Innan vi dör sono anche due serie eccellenti.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2014, 09:36:48 PM »
8:30 PM Greek time and there's a JCB on the beach!!!!!! Yammas!

Offline BarbaraG

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2014, 12:10:10 PM »
This may sound a daft question, but what do they do with the seaweed? I understand it makes a good fertiliser, so maybe it gets "recycled"?

Offline cambridge

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2014, 12:14:40 PM »
.....and there it is, gone.

In previous years it's been piled up on the headland between SS and Arillas.

Offline IrisG

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2014, 12:22:28 PM »
So good to see it cleared....just in time for our first Seafood Spaghetti in Waves on Monday evening!

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni