Author Topic: On The First Plane Out!  (Read 10837 times)

Offline Andy7

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
On The First Plane Out!
« on: May 03, 2014, 02:50:11 PM »
Arrived in San Steph yesterday on the first Thomson plane of the season having booked a very cheap last minute holiday.

Staying at the Romanza is which is superb as usual and made all the brighter as Vasillis from Zorbes is now working behind the bar.

Weather was sunny and warm when we arrived but today it's cloudy and wet as some weather fronts go through, forecast however is better with warm and dry weather from Monday.

Last night San Steph was very quiet with many Tavernas still closed, we ate at the Little Prince with about 6 other couples and all the bars were closed by midnight so a night cap was had at the Romanza.

As Hippopots said all the locals are busy cleaning and painting to be ready by Monday when the next influx of visitors arrive. Some changes to note, both the old Chinese and the premises next door are being painted so something must be opening in both. El Greco bar has been expanded into the old gift shop which is now located opposite the Little Prince, El Greco is looking very smart with a new outdoor bar area which will be nice on a summers evening.

Manthos was open last night and a new bar is opening above the Mistral Taverna nearby so that end of town is getting busier.

Now the beach and oh dear what a mess, it has suffered serious erosion near Manthos and is only 6 feet wide in places, I couldn't believe how much of the beach has vanished near Waves as well. The beach near the Havana hasn't been as badly affected and is similar to last year. Two diggers were on the beach moving sand from the flower bed area in front of the Athina onto the beach to make it an easier slope. Outside the Mango Bar the beach is a disaster and will require some work to get it ready for sunbeds.

Talking to Dimitris in the LP last night he is expecting a very busy season as bookings are well up on last year so hopefully it will be a prosperous year for visitors and locals alike in season 2014.

Will post more reports as the opening up continues.

Andy
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 02:54:02 PM by Andy7 »

Gavlah1973

Re: On The First Plane Out!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 04:15:54 PM »
Are Dimitris or young Kostas gonna be working the Romanza bar Andy?

Offline WINKIE

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 05:27:14 PM »
Thanks for the update Andy,cant wait to have my first Mythos in LP.
If its not one thing,its your mother.

Offline Buttons1

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 10:26:28 PM »
Oooh thank you for your update, we are on the flight next Friday, for 2 weeks and cannot wait. Hope the weather continues to improve.

Offline BAJ

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 10:48:43 PM »
Gavlah - Young Costa wasnt working at Romanza last year, he was working at Havana bar. His place at Romanza was taken by Spiros, Andreas sisters fiance. Dimitri was still working there last year though, dont know about this year.

Offline Andy7

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 11:14:12 AM »
Gavlah - Young Costa wasnt working at Romanza last year, he was working at Havana bar. His place at Romanza was taken by Spiros, Andreas sisters fiance. Dimitri was still working there last year though, dont know about this year.

I will find out.

It was a bit busier last night with about 12 covers at the Little Prince but after the rain yesterday the evening was very cold with lightning flashing across the sky and I am sure at one stage I saw a few snow flakes ;D

El Greco was still open at 1am with a few locals in, El Greco is now very prominent in SanStef and some real competition for Bar 38 and the Condor.

More people arriving on Monday and all the talk is of a bumper season and sold out apartments and hotels.

Prices are the same as last year and last night with paid just 32euro for two starters two mains a litre of wine and two soft drinks, 32e is about £26 which is remarkable value.

Talking to Vassillis at the Romanza yesterday and the big complaint is the ever increasing taxes from the Greek Government and that businesses are trying to absorb these cost rather than put up prices. I think local businesses could put up prices by 5% - 10% without it affecting trade but the locals are afraid to do that.

So it's cracking value from our perspective and as long as the pound stays around 1.2 the good times will continue for UK visitors.

Weather is a bit brighter today but it will be tomorrow before we see any real improvement.

Andy

Offline Andy7

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 11:09:47 AM »
Had a drive down the new bypass yesterday which was great, it's open 'unofficially' so all the locals are using if. The road is a bit rough in the middle but even there it's better than most of the other local roads!

Today is opening day for many in the village and the sun is out to celebrate after yesterday's thunderstorms, the Mistral is blowing so it's cool but at least it's sunny.

Andy

Offline Ioanna

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 01:16:05 PM »
Here's wishing everyone in Aghios Stefanos a prosperous season - see you soon !

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 01:34:06 PM »
Thanks for the great updates Andy - all I can say is this - I WISH I WAS THERE!

Offline tonyco1

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • TonyC - Ag.Stefanos FB San Stefanos Holiday Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 02:21:44 AM »
Had a drive down the new bypass yesterday which was great, it's open 'unofficially' so all the locals are using if. The road is a bit rough in the middle but even there it's better than most of the other local roads!

Today is opening day for many in the village and the sun is out to celebrate after yesterday's thunderstorms, the Mistral is blowing so it's cool but at least it's sunny.

Andy
Brilliant Andy - a most useful update - - maybe a couple of pictures???
Happy Days in Agios Stefanos, Avliotes, Corfu!! TonyCo1

Offline Andy7

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 11:13:40 AM »
How do you post photo's?

Lovely morning this morning, calm and sunny and the forecast is good for at least a week.

Yesterday was sunny as well but the Mistral was so strong I thought it would blow the Romanza off the cliff!

Opening night at the Athens Bar last night and Nikos was on great form handing out shots of vodka and sambouka which you had to drink in one go, the walk back to the Romanza took a lot longer than usual as a result!

Andy

Offline Teamnickos

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 05:20:33 PM »
Sounds like good fun is being had  :) I'd love to see a photo of the changes at El Greco......

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni