Author Topic: First visit!  (Read 40673 times)

Offline Altea

• View Profile
Re: First visit!
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2014, 03:12:49 AM »
Ooops! Didn't mean to start a riot >:(  now I'm completely confused .... Not really, just joking. I am impressed with the abundace of replies and It's good to know that so many 'spirited' folk are regulars in San Stefano's!!! It's decided, we will take a bit of each, Sterling, Euros & Cards and look forward to a wonderful week.  :)

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2014, 08:52:29 AM »
Whether I get more than 1.20 on my credit cards depends very much on the exchange rate mechanism between now and then.

That was exactly my point!

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2014, 12:04:43 PM »
Quote from the Telegraph last year

"The best credit card deals
If you want to make your holiday spending go further, use a credit card in shops and restaurants, preferably one that doesn’t impose a foreign loading fee. Halifax’s Clarity Card is the standout card"

And that is exactly my point.

Offline Andy7

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2014, 12:19:54 PM »
Hmmm, Waspman is right but I still prefer cash as do the local Taverna owners and retailers. I imagine cash is easier to deal with when deciding how much you owe the tax man.

One problem with cards also is that the cash till at Thomas Bay is often empty!

Andy

Offline Ioanna

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2014, 12:50:02 PM »
Hmmm, Waspman is right but I still prefer cash as do the local Taverna owners and retailers. I imagine cash is easier to deal with when deciding how much you owe the tax man.

Andy
There is always the cashpoint at SS travel but I agree the taverna owners prefer cash for obvious reasons !

Offline romanza man

• SanStef Regular
  • July 2014
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2014, 02:32:36 PM »
Altea, just go and enjoy your holiday, whether you take cards, cash or whatever, everyone in San Stef will welcome you with open arms. Enjoy your holiday.

Offline Ioanna

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2014, 02:57:36 PM »
Altea, just go and enjoy your holiday, whether you take cards, cash or whatever, everyone in San Stef will welcome you with open arms. Enjoy your holiday.
You are so right , holidays are for relaxing so just go ahead and enjoy yourself !

Offline Altea

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2014, 03:53:04 PM »
Thanks so much Romanza man & loanna, counting down the days now and really looking forward to our holiday! 😊

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2014, 09:00:36 PM »

Andy

The thing is Andy, that you don't use overseas credit cards for cash points (ATM's), only for purchases

Offline stressed0506

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2014, 09:57:39 PM »
Following all of the info on here I have just succumbed and applied for the Halifax card! I will probably still use cash for most things but it will be a good back up I think. Thanks for all of the info guys.

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2014, 12:00:39 AM »
Following all of the info on here I have just succumbed and applied for the Halifax card! I will probably still use cash for most things but it will be a good back up I think. Thanks for all of the info guys.

Very wise person, try it out and let us all know how the exchange rate worked out when you use it in Agios Stefanos, don't use it in the UK though.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 12:41:54 AM by Waspman »

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2014, 01:55:47 AM »
Im so happy i dont have this problem,no worries with exchange rates here in Belgium.Apart from geting sterling when visiting family in uk.

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2014, 03:26:43 PM »
I'm was and am talking about taking Euros. We have plenty of Euros bought at the highest available rate. If you can get over 1.2 on your card in the summer I'll buy you supper!

Currently the pound is strong against the $ and the €, but there is no guarantee that that will last. Given that the GBP base rate is at an unusually high rate (1.2134) at the moment the chances of it going higher are slender.

Waspman is skewing the argument to the exchange of £s in AS. The simple unassailable fact is that taking € notes bought at at a good rate is the best way to maximise your spending money.

The GBP (Great Britain Pound) hit a high this week, 1.22 against the Euro.

I've just got euros at a rate of 1.222 (with no commission charges) using a debit card at an ATM, hopefully more tomorrow and the next day at the same, or better rate. Fairfx rate today is 1.2115

Well worth a gamble wasn't it Jim?

Looks like supper could be on you Jimbo?

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2014, 04:26:02 PM »
I've just got a Clarity card! Thanks!

Supper depends upon the Mastercard exchange rate at billing time. Now is a good time for cash, but July may be different. Who knows?

FairFX is currently showing 1.2005 for prepaid card loading. TravelFX is 1.2040 for cash.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 04:32:04 PM by Jimbo »

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2014, 05:43:46 PM »
Jimbo, you're listening to me at last, congratulations on the Halifax Clarity card, you'll find it good.

You are right, now is a good time for cash (euros) and as you say July could well be different.

I just hope things stay as they are as I am now getting 1.22 on all my overseas cards.

See you in July

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni