Author Topic: Spoilt for choice 2014  (Read 121406 times)

Offline Sellsy

• SanStef FANATIC
  • Cardiac hill, it really is worth it!
    • View Profile
Spoilt for choice 2014
« on: April 15, 2014, 09:28:18 PM »
Hi all, by April 2013 we had all submitted our recommendations for our top three restaurants for the 2013 season ahead. The top ten came out as

1).    Olympia..................58 points
2).    Little Prince ............43
3).    Nafsica ..................36
4).    Beachcomber ..........26
5).    Romanza ................25
6).    Zorbas ...................20
7).    Ozzie Oils................19
8.      Waves ....................15
9).    Yiannis....................13
10).   Mistral....................7

I missed last year, but we are on a countdown to return this summer. Therefore can I ask , did all the big hitters live up to expectation? Is this still a valid top ten for the season ahead? Is any one amazed that their favourite did not make the top ten? Thanks in advance for any updates and thoughts on last years highlights.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 09:30:35 PM by Sellsy »

Gavlah1973

Re: Spoilt for choice 2014
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 01:22:08 AM »
Had a nice Kleftico at Olympia last summer but the restaurant was dead which left it lacking in atmosphere.
Best meals I enjoyed were Fantasea and Romanza

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 02:24:17 AM »
In over 20 years of visiting SS only ever eaten in olympia twice,sorry but not my thing.Romanza and Nafsica shine the most for me.when zorbas first opened food was great real cooking.Kleftico was superb, cooked in paper keeping all the flavour.last time i visited,was plated like a sunday dinner.Fish dishes are not as common as they used to be,or i mean the choice of fish.When i first visited in 1990 at Romanza,no hotel,just an apartment where the hotel is now,we used to watch the sardine fishing boats in the bay at night with the lamps burning and a nice metaxa in hand...mmmmmmmmmm

Offline BAJ

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 02:52:28 AM »
Fantasea last year was very good and makes it into my top three of 2013:
1. Romanza
2. Fantasea
3. Tasty Corner ( for cheap and cheerful )

Tried the new med village, but was not impressed with food, though service was friendly.

Offline rae21

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 09:09:08 AM »
Amazed Olympia is top of the list who eats there? Never tried it every time we walk past it is always empty never a good sign. Last year Nafsica and Beachcomber superb as always but Little Prince just edged it for us great atmosphere super service excellent food loved it!   

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 10:11:32 AM »
Olympia full every night when we were there last September and they were turning people away. Food was superb as ever.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline cambridge

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 11:26:14 AM »
For me:

1) Fantasea
2) Ilias - yes I know it's in Avliotes but don't miss it
3) Ozzie Oils

Offline Woodman

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 12:40:00 PM »
Ah, the Olympia debate again - how I've missed it. I'm on Rae and Gavlah's side, its been empty most times we've been past in Sept 2012 and June 2013 (yes, we're comparative newcomers to SS!).  We were 2 stars and Little Prince regulars but would like to try Nafsica and Zorbas this year.  And, as we're celebrating our first wedding anniversary there this year, we need to find somewhere for that night.  Any thoughts?

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2014, 12:52:28 PM »
Hey woodman,maybe head up to Romanza on a bbq night.I know its a bit of a climb but take your time and visit the watering holes on the way up.  If you explain you need a special table they will do you proud,you will have amazeing views and sunset,fantastic food and company.And will enjoy real greak music and danceing......

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2014, 01:25:48 PM »
We found Olympia very good - it always has been when we've eaten there - and in height of season, it may not have been full but it is a very large restaurant with lots space between tables, which is great

We found Fantasea brilliant - wonderfully cooked food, flavoured reminiscent of Nafsika - loved it.

Sadly, even though love the buzz and atmosphere, Little Prince just doesn't compare favourably with some other SS restaurants.  I keep giving it extra tries and it just never delivers.  Sorry.

The Nafsika is consistently excellent - a place I feel I can always rely on for beautifully seasoned, tasty Greek food.  Wonderful fresh fish too.

Two stars was 'our surprise' last year - don't know why we haven't tried it before.  The people were lovely, food cheap, tasty and authentic.  Will definitely be more regular visitors next time

Tasty corner - well, just fab fast food!

I know there may be a little reticence towards the beautiful Delfino Blu - but we had a wonderful 5 course meal there last year - the staff were warm and welcoming, the food delicious, the wine very good value - set on the balcony with the beautiful view - sitting on a white clothed table with amazing service.  Really good value.

Still miss the Sunset - where we fab meals and must try the Romanza for a meal.

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2014, 04:46:10 PM »
Always an interesting debate.

Always like Olympia but it was decidely average last year (2013). Can't quite put my finger on it but it certainly wasn't as good as 2012. Will still give it a try though this year.

Little Prince always good for atmosphere etc though comes a distant second best to the Beachcomber when it comes to the food. One thing I do like about the LP is the variety of meals compared to most places.

I do like Zorba's which is probably a combination of lots of things, food, atmosphere etc. I also miss the Sunset who did the best Kleftico in the village me thinks.

Tried Yiannis last year for the first time and was very impressed, will definately be back again this year. I don't get the fuss about Nafsica which will make me very popular......not. Only tried 2Star once and it was pretty good. I love Manthos and everything it/he brings to your holiday. Especially at lunchtime when having a quiet beer with some lovely mixed starters....heavenly.

Either lets hope for a good year especially as holiday numbers to Greece were up last year. lets hope San Stef gets its share.  :) :)
When God created Wales he was just showing off

Offline carl nottingham

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2014, 05:37:44 PM »
Think i have mentioned this before but to go to ss and not try the mussels in ouzo at the fantasea should be made an arrestable offence
my wife and i have our top three eataries
1.  Fantasea for brilliant food and warm welcome from costos
2. Little Prince for variety and atmosphere
3. Ozzy oils for the bbq,  makes it a night with kerrys singing

Offline WINKIE

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2014, 10:18:59 PM »
No 1   Fantasea.      Wonderful food and well presented,and what a view.
No 2   Little Prince.  Huge variety on the menu,and very friendly staff.
No 3   Zorbas.         Large portions here,and good entertainment.

Will try many more this year. ;D

If its not one thing,its your mother.

Offline Ioanna

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 10:56:49 PM »
Fantasea is excellent , food ,view and Kostas all excellent. Little Prince , atmosphere and entertainment excellent but although a varied menu I don't always find the food top rate . Nobody has mentioned Manthos taverna especially spit roast and fish dishes and Manthos himself deserves a mention for entertainment . Have not eaten at Olympia often ( usually empty) but cannot fault the food . Beachcomber is excellent dining if you fancy something different .

Offline rae21

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2014, 05:41:07 PM »
Fantasea and Romanza not eaten at either but will rectify that this year. Olympia definitely maybe  ;)

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni