Author Topic: Whats happenin'  (Read 1383677 times)

geordieborn

Re: Whats happenin'
« Reply #2070 on: August 20, 2019, 01:54:24 AM »
Much as it pains me to say this, Waspman is an expert in this area. Halifax Clarity card does not charge for normal transactions, such as having supper etc., and I mostly use mine for that. Getting cash abroad is basically a very bad idea, so for cash either get it at home for the best rate you can find (usually TravelFX) or, as you do, take a prepaid card.

You can change GBPs to euros at San Stefano Travel, where the kindly, intelligent, helpful, knowledgeable and beautiful women (hope you're reading this Aline!) will charge 2%. We usually take maybe £200 in GBPs with us, becauseif you don't spend them you use them at home.

No, getting cash in Agios Stefanos may be a little more expensive, but most other EU countries it costs nothing if using Caxton. FairFX charge for cash, but again nothing if used as a credit credit card. Cash is still king in Greece for now and in some place all you can use. You have NO on the spot rate exchange involvement with these, with Halifax you do and it's no good for cash at all...

Offline Natman+Sparksdad

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2071 on: August 20, 2019, 10:26:46 AM »
I agree about the Halifax Clarity card. I have one as back up for anything unexpected. Only time used (not here), the rate was quite favourable. All thanks to the Martin Lewis website - he truly is a guru of saving money.
We have brought cash and use the available safety deposit boxes so that we're not carrying around a fortnight's spending money. Have been exchanging the cash over the last 12 months, in an attempt to avoid any massive swing on the rate.
As warned above, rate advertised at 1.10 (next to Express Supermarket), may still incur charges or commission.

Greek night at Barras was good fun, everyone encouraged to get up and join in. I've seen some really good photos of the night posted to Facebook.
Yesterday was very hot, wind has dropped considerably. Sea has been so calm. The sunset last night was amazing. We watched from the 180 bar. Drink prices slightly more than others but the free entertainment as the sun dipped gracefully behind Diaplo is unrivalled. The colour changes were incredible. As the sky changed, so did the colour of the calm waters below us. Along with 2 visiting sail boats, it was a perfect picture postcard moment.
Finished our drinks and walked along the beach for dinner at Manthos.
Off to Corfu town today. My first visit for over 25 years.

Offline maggiesaes

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2072 on: August 20, 2019, 11:29:35 AM »
I look on line for the best rate and this week I got 1.09 from John Lewis no commission and free 24 hour delivery.

We have been offered exchange in one or two of the restaurants but never needed to avail ourselves we always take well enough,with sterling and cards as a back up.

geordieborn

« Reply #2073 on: August 20, 2019, 08:23:49 PM »
I look on line for the best rate and this week I got 1.09 from John Lewis no commission and free 24 hour delivery.

We have been offered exchange in one or two of the restaurants but never needed to avail ourselves we always take well enough,with sterling and cards as a back up.
Think for cash that was a good deal Maggie, thanks for the info.

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2074 on: August 20, 2019, 09:49:07 PM »
No, getting cash in Agios Stefanos may be a little more expensive, but most other EU countries it costs nothing if using Caxton. FairFX charge for cash, but again nothing if used as a credit credit card. Cash is still king in Greece for now and in some place all you can use. You have NO on the spot rate exchange involvement with these, with Halifax you do and it's no good for cash at all...

Cash is King if you are a local business but a "no commission credit card" is King for the tourists, hands down winner. Read Martin Lewis website.
Why do you think the locals prefer cash, easy answer?

geordieborn

« Reply #2075 on: August 20, 2019, 11:52:21 PM »
Cash is King if you are a local business but a "no commission credit card" is King for the tourists, hands down winner. Read Martin Lewis website.
Why do you think the locals prefer cash, easy answer?
Yes, I guess we are all only a good an "expert" as the man you find on the net....  :D Others do the same for credit cards, but you also ignore the fact some people don't want to use them abroad, apart from which some places will charge you a lot locally for doing so! Martin Lewis is great at what he does, but is limited with a **** site that needs a bit of a revamp.  There are many others out there with just as good advice, but some people just think they know it all and don't want to learn...

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2076 on: August 21, 2019, 05:22:07 PM »
Yes, I guess we are all only a good an "expert" as the man you find on the net....  :D Others do the same for credit cards, but you also ignore the fact some people don't want to use them abroad, apart from which some places will charge you a lot locally for doing so! Martin Lewis is great at what he does, but is limited with a **** site that needs a bit of a revamp.  There are many others out there with just as good advice, but some people just think they know it all and don't want to learn...

All businesses in Greece must, by EU law, accept credit cards and are not allowed to charge extra for their use, although "the machine isn't working" is a  phrase heard occasionally.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 05:23:55 PM by Waspman »

Offline maggiesaes

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2077 on: August 21, 2019, 07:48:34 PM »
A few years ago Maria’s (paper shop) machine wasn’t working for 2 days.
She was giving credit to everyone she knew and the machine was fixed soit does happen.
She is always happy to take card payments.

Gavlah1973

« Reply #2078 on: August 22, 2019, 11:46:43 AM »
Well we're into the last third of our holiday now.

Having a great time. Weather wise we had a very warm start, followed by a few days of wind before reverting back to the usual warm weather.

The village has been quiet compared to other years. There's definitely a downturn in tourism at the minute

Food wise we've had cracking meals at Zorbas, Both Yiannis restaurants, Barras, Fantasea and Manthos so far.
The new 180 bar is stunning but very expensive. We had 2 cocktails and a mocktail and it was €20!! Probs worth it for the sunset though.

We've also bought some lovely pottery from Hippopots that will take pride of place in our new kitchen.

This is our 2nd stay at Barras. We were originally booked for the Kappy but after staying here in May we changed it for a more central location. It's a great place.... The family are superb and the food is great. They do amazing lunchtime pizza!
The Greek night is superb and I'd urge anyone to give it a go.

The only downside has been the behaviour of some tourists to the resort.
The slow season has meant supply is outstripping demand.
Tui in particular have been offering some very cheap deals, particularly to Little Prince.

This has meant some more, how do I say this sensitively, chavvy visitors!

I know there were reports on Facebook of large groups swearing round the pools and being loud before we came. While we've been here there's been a group kicked out of the resort, also police called to a domestic incident that got out of hand.
I think the cheap prices have attracted people that wouldn't normally come.

Anyway it's onto the last 4 or so days.....we've got Greek night at Manthos tonight and Afionas on Saturday to look forwards to.

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2079 on: August 22, 2019, 12:28:25 PM »
Well we're into the last third of our holiday now.

Having a great time. Weather wise we had a very warm start, followed by a few days of wind before reverting back to the usual warm weather.

The village has been quiet compared to other years. There's definitely a downturn in tourism at the minute

Food wise we've had cracking meals at Zorbas, Both Yiannis restaurants, Barras, Fantasea and Manthos so far.
The new 180 bar is stunning but very expensive. We had 2 cocktails and a mocktail and it was €20!! Probs worth it for the sunset though.

We've also bought some lovely pottery from Hippopots that will take pride of place in our new kitchen.

This is our 2nd stay at Barras. We were originally booked for the Kappy but after staying here in May we changed it for a more central location. It's a great place.... The family are superb and the food is great. They do amazing lunchtime pizza!
The Greek night is superb and I'd urge anyone to give it a go.

The only downside has been the behaviour of some tourists to the resort.
The slow season has meant supply is outstripping demand.
Tui in particular have been offering some very cheap deals, particularly to Little Prince.

This has meant some more, how do I say this sensitively, chavvy visitors!

I know there were reports on Facebook of large groups swearing round the pools and being loud before we came. While we've been here there's been a group kicked out of the resort, also police called to a domestic incident that got out of hand.
I think the cheap prices have attracted people that wouldn't normally come.

Anyway it's onto the last 4 or so days.....we've got Greek night at Manthos tonight and Afionas on Saturday to look forwards to.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday Gav

Offline maggiesaes

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2080 on: August 22, 2019, 12:35:23 PM »
Such a pity when you get people spoiling things and it is unusual.

Last year when we left we had already booked for this May gone and Demetri said we should have left it until later as there would be cheap deals when the new apartments were finished.
Most of the people were regulars though and booked as we did in advance.
Our  September break coming up is no different from last year really pricewise and  next year's May three weeks at Little Prince likewise.

It is annoying when you go and you find guests who have paid a fraction of your price but that is life with Tui.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday and safe home with no delays.

Gavlah1973

« Reply #2081 on: August 22, 2019, 12:44:47 PM »
It's not really affected me Maggie but there's deffo been a few folk who aren't your typical San Steffers.

Also seeing a lot more larger groups which is something you never used to see in great numbers. Can affect the vibe of the place.

Been great though and I've deffo chilled out more for an August holiday than I have before.

Gavlah1973

« Reply #2082 on: August 22, 2019, 12:57:06 PM »
The one thing that's clear is how much we've spent!

£100 a day used to seem to do us.... Now it's nearer £120/£130

Shows the effect the exchange rate has on the cost of the holiday

joan

« Reply #2083 on: August 22, 2019, 02:04:22 PM »
I remember several years ago there were big groups of afore mentioned  chavs. They definitely were not San Steffers and looked out of place. However behaviour so bad as to have the police attend is not what anyone would expect. I hope it didnt ruin the holiday. Again all down to travel companies offloading prebooked rooms with hoteliers.
Hoping they've all gone when we arrive.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2084 on: August 22, 2019, 03:40:34 PM »
I must say we didn't observe any untoward behaviour in July/early August - although Mixalis did say he had to chuck 10 "lager louts" out of the Little Prince bar one night. In previous years various locals have said how much they dislike August because "the kind of people is not the same." All we can do is be charming and apologise. I find myself having to apologise to a lot of European friends these days!

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni