Author Topic: Whats happenin'  (Read 1386570 times)

Offline maggiesaes

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Whats happenin'
« Reply #2055 on: August 16, 2019, 05:26:53 PM »
Boat trip cancelled because of weather?

Offline WINKIE

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2056 on: August 16, 2019, 06:41:26 PM »
Apparently it is very blowy in the village Maggie, stole a peek at wifies FB  ;D.
If its not one thing,its your mother.

Offline maggiesaes

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2057 on: August 17, 2019, 03:25:08 AM »
We’ve seen a bit of that over the years haven’t we.
Pity for those looking forward to the trip but better than regrets after.

Offline Natman+Sparksdad

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2058 on: August 18, 2019, 04:53:59 PM »
Yes, postponed under advice and having watched the white-tipped rolling waves constantly coming in the past couple of days, I'm quite happy.
Went for a nice stroll along the beach  as far as we could. One plus point about this wind is that the air is incredibly clear. I can't recall ever being able to see the mountain range of Albania (sorry don't know the name) so vividly.
Saw the turtle egg nesting site. Hopefully, this will be a successful batch.
Busy beach for the weekend. Kite surfers are taking full advantage of the wind.
Sunset for last couple of nights has splashed red and orange hues across the horizon.
Friends came in from Exeter on Friday night and were through passport control in about ten minutes, so hopefully our experience was not the usual.
For those that have asked elsewhere, there are now 4 ATM's. Thomas Bay, Tasty Corner, the old San Stefanos Travel office and just past the Little Prince. I don't use them, so can't vouch for the reliability.
Advertised exchange rate is 1.10 this afternoon
Off to Barras tonight for the Greek night.

Offline WINKIE

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2059 on: August 18, 2019, 05:36:58 PM »
Great post, enjoyed reading that, thank you. Enjoy the Barras tonight, on our must do list in September.
If its not one thing,its your mother.

Offline maggiesaes

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2060 on: August 19, 2019, 12:04:22 AM »
A word of warning for late travellers,they do tend to remove them at the end of September.

geordieborn

« Reply #2061 on: August 19, 2019, 12:11:55 AM »
A word of warning for late travellers,they do tend to remove them at the end of September.

What do they remove ? I'm lost, must be too much vino or lack of knowledge of the forum ;D

Offline maggiesaes

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2062 on: August 19, 2019, 10:45:14 AM »
What do they remove ? I'm lost, must be too much vino or lack of knowledge of the forum ;D

All the actually trays which hold and dispense  the cash.
We were sitting outside Thomas Bay last year when the security van came and emptied them and disabled them.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 09:11:32 PM by maggiesaes »

geordieborn

« Reply #2063 on: August 19, 2019, 01:56:31 PM »
All the actually trays which hold and dispense  the cash.
We were sitting outside Thomas Bay last year when the security can came and emptied them and disabled them.
Just as well I asked Maggie, very useful to know as we rarely carry much otherthan the Euro card, thanks.
The ATMs we used, apart from the one at Tasty Corner seem to charge €3.92, I think regardles of the amount. The one at TC was €3 (different bank). The ATM in the airport charged the same €3.92. These charges are small compared to some of those made locally in the shops there!

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2064 on: August 19, 2019, 08:12:33 PM »
Just as well I asked Maggie, very useful to know as we rarely carry much otherthan the Euro card, thanks.
The ATMs we used, apart from the one at Tasty Corner seem to charge €3.92, I think regardles of the amount. The one at TC was €3 (different bank). The ATM in the airport charged the same €3.92. These charges are small compared to some of those made locally in the shops there!

All ATMs abroad are a rip off. Not only does the ATM supplier charge you a fee, typically €3.95 per transaction but most of UK banks also charge you.
On top if this, if you opt for the DCC (dynamic currency conversion) you will be charged yet again. Brits lose 125 million pounds a year on overseas ATM charges. Food for thought.
My advice, get an "overseas credit card" (ie Halifax Clarity) you simply cannot get a better rate.

Offline maggiesaes

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2065 on: August 19, 2019, 09:10:03 PM »
We changed cash today and got 1.09.
Better than it has been but we have a way to go.
Not back in San Stef until September 16th.

geordieborn

« Reply #2066 on: August 19, 2019, 10:12:54 PM »
All ATMs abroad are a rip off. Not only does the ATM supplier charge you a fee, typically €3.95 per transaction but most of UK banks also charge you.
On top if this, if you opt for the DCC (dynamic currency conversion) you will be charged yet again. Brits lose 125 million pounds a year on overseas ATM charges. Food for thought.
My advice, get an "overseas credit card" (ie Halifax Clarity) you simply cannot get a better rate.
I'm always open to saving money, but the above is still a credit card and they will still charge you interest from day 1 if you get cash out. The Mastercard rate of exchange if used is certainly better than Visa, but still no good for cash. Depending on how you like to/normally spend i.e. cash or card I suspect either a Caxton or FairFX pre-loaded card will be better. I agree charging any fee for the ATM is poor, but these must be extreamly risky for them in AgiousS. Still think for cash, even with the charge, the ATM will be way cheaper than Halifax. The other good thing with pre-loaded is that you load when the rate is to your liking. 
I'm not too sure when people post sayng they get 1.10 or whatever they are quoting like for like i.e. do these rates include and charges? The mid-rate at close today was 1.0945, I've never known anyone give you that rate or anything like it.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2067 on: August 19, 2019, 11:58:36 PM »
Much as it pains me to say this, Waspman is an expert in this area. Halifax Clarity card does not charge for normal transactions, such as having supper etc., and I mostly use mine for that. Getting cash abroad is basically a very bad idea, so for cash either get it at home for the best rate you can find (usually TravelFX) or, as you do, take a prepaid card.

You can change GBPs to euros at San Stefano Travel, where the kindly, intelligent, helpful, knowledgeable and beautiful women (hope you're reading this Aline!) will charge 2%. We usually take maybe £200 in GBPs with us, becauseif you don't spend them you use them at home.

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2068 on: August 20, 2019, 12:38:04 AM »
Much as it pains me to say this, Waspman is an expert in this area. Halifax Clarity card does not charge for normal transactions, such as having supper etc., and I mostly use mine for that. Getting cash abroad is basically a very bad idea, so for cash either get it at home for the best rate you can find (usually TravelFX) or, as you do, take a prepaid card.

You can change GBPs to euros at San Stefano Travel, where the kindly, intelligent, helpful, knowledgeable and beautiful women (hope you're reading this Aline!) will charge 2%. We usually take maybe £200 in GBPs with us, becauseif you don't spend them you use them at home.

Why "Much as it pains me to say this" do you hold me in such so low regard?

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2069 on: August 20, 2019, 01:29:57 AM »
Mark of respect, George!

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni