Author Topic: Whats happenin'  (Read 1376084 times)

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Whats happenin'
« Reply #1365 on: June 12, 2016, 10:51:35 PM »
So, after a lovely hot sunny day yesterday, today has been a nice temperature, but rather overcast. Our amateur weatherman at Spiros Bikes told us there's a storm brewing, which will come overnight......the clouds are already forming over the mountains, so it's on its way. He's not usually far wrong with his predictions!
And there was me just saying a couple of days ago that the bridge re-appearing was a sign of no more storms, shows how much I know!  :o

Despite the clouds, many are sat outside enjoying their meals tonight, so hopefully they will stay dry!

No music anywhere tonight as far as I know, but sports available in most of the bars, with the football, and the Canadian Grand Prix both on.

Offline swedebasher

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: June 13, 2016, 12:32:09 PM »
Looking ugly down there right now with masses of lightning, so bad new for Monday changeovers. Diversions anyone?
The Sopranos-la miglior serie in TV mai.
Mafiosa , Gomorra e Innan vi dör sono anche due serie eccellenti.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: June 13, 2016, 02:21:43 PM »
Loads of delays and diversions!

Offline Sellsy

• SanStef FANATIC
  • Cardiac hill, it really is worth it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: June 13, 2016, 07:13:42 PM »
Major storm in resort this morning, prolonged lightening, deafening thunder and 2-3 hrs of torrential rain, the stream is a raging torrent,the bridge has been washed up the beach, which was divided by a 20 meter river!  For a while the street around condor was a river with sand and shingle deposited across the road....Then all calm ...the sun comes out in the afternoon and we have enjoyed lovely sun bathing this afternoon....what a place! Now we await the frogs and turtles return - they must have been washed out to sea. Called in to Hippopots to order our ceramic frogs...they are the only ones left in the village!

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: June 13, 2016, 09:16:52 PM »
Yep, you're not wrong Sellsy, it was a storm and a half!!
We didn't bother to leave home until 11am, as there was no way we wanted to drive down in the torrents, and so glad we waited.....having seen photos and videos on internet, if we'd come at our usual time we'd never have got through Arillas or San Stef, yet 1 hour later it was still wet roads, but it was a couple of feet deep at least, before!!

Zorbas and Brusko took the brunt of it here, although both all dried out and cleaned up very quickly. The stream down to the beach is more like a river, and the bridge has migrated along towards Athina!

But now, the sun is shining, and its another nice warm evening...you'd never have guessed what it was like this morning, apart from the tale tell gravel strewn across the road!

Apologies to Condor last night....I said there was no live music, but they had an Amy Winehouse tribute, and judging by how many there were watching, she seemed very popular!

Tonight, live music in Bar 38, and we must say a HUGE congratulations to Manthos, who's taverna is celebrating 40 years in business tonight, what an amazing achievement! Xronia Polla Manthos taverna, have a great night!!

Offline Teamnickos

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: June 14, 2016, 11:21:31 AM »
Couldn't believe the photos of the rain etc on facebook! Glad all ok and the sun is back out (wish it would stop raining here!) 

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: June 18, 2016, 03:53:44 PM »
Apologies folks, I thought I'd missed a couple of posting, but looks like there's none from me since Monday evening! Either I wrote something, and didn't post it, or I've got frazzled summer brain....think it's probably the latter!!  ;D

So, after the storm, the weather has cleared totally, and has been hot, sunny and gorgeous....and it's going to stay this way all summer, according to weather sites.

Everyone has got mopped out and cleaned up since the storm, although unfortunately the bridge is still in its resting place along the beach going towards Athina, now getting submerged in sand, but hopefully will be back in it's rightful place soon.

Days quieter on the streets now, as it's most definitely beach/pool day weather, and the evenings are getting busier out and around in the village. Music nights have been popular in all the usual venues, and people have been enjoying sitting out on patios.
Ozzy Oil has a regular Friday night musician, and are doing some nice specials, and all the Greek Nights are being pretty well attended.
3W's was the venue for a facebook forum meet up this week, which was very well attended, and their Thursday night quiz is proving popular too.

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: June 21, 2016, 10:38:29 PM »
So, after a couple of slightly overcast days, the sun burst through again today, giving us another lovely day. It got a little breezy late afternoon, but all in all a lovely day.

Yesterday saw most tavernas busier earlier on, as many chose to watch the football, however, for those that aren't footie fans, the older part of the village provided places to avoid it, and Beer O Clock, Manthos, Beachcomber and Nafsika were all busy!

Tonight there's live Irish music in Bar 38, and a tribute to Ska music in Condor.

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: June 22, 2016, 11:49:46 PM »
Another lovely sunny day again, although a tad breezy on the beach this afternoon and evening, with quite a few waves rolling in!

I think Lesley has mentioned it on another thread, but in case you've not seen it, I'm pleased to say the local bus service that goes between Sidari and St George, stopping here and Arillas is up and running again, we meet it every morning in Arillas on the way to work! A great little service if you fancy visiting other places nearby.

So a nice walk along the beach late evening gave Bod the chance to run off some energy on a deserted beach, and then we had a nice walk back via the older part of the village, where Kamini bar had some drinkers, and Nafsika and Beer O clock were busy, as well as diners enjoying the view from Beachcombers patio area.

Offline Balkus

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: June 26, 2016, 12:17:50 AM »
Very nice bbq tonight at Vicky's very tasty food great atmosphere George has definitely got it right and then great views to end the night highly highly recommended.

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: June 26, 2016, 10:33:00 PM »
Sounds lovely Balkus....yes George has been busy pre season, and the area at Vicky Pool with the new seating and shade for eating whilst overlooking the beach great.

So, we've had some glorious hot sunny days for the last few days  8)

Yesterday saw Aquarius Bar busy in the early afternoon with lots of people having pre wedding drinks, all dressed up and looking very smart! Nice to see the bride and groom being driven through the village after the ceremony in a white open top VW, looking like they're were definitely having the best day, and hopefully they were!

It got very humid last night, and we were all expecting a storm, we got a fantastic light show courtesy of the lightening out to sea over the Diapontia islands, and a small rumble of thunder, but it stayed dry.

And this evening is once again pretty humid, so lots of al fresco dining and drinking tonight....Olympia very busy, as is Bar 38. Silver Star has lots of people watchers enjoying their outside area, whilst across the road others have been watching football in El Greco.

And tonight is the very popular Greek night at Romanza, and at Ozzy Oil, Nikos is cooking your meat on his BBQ grill tonight, whilst you can enjoy some sangria whilst waiting for it to be cooked.

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: June 27, 2016, 07:03:25 PM »
Does anyone know if the ATM'S are working in San Stef.Saw that some islands were not exchanging sterling at hotels and ATM'S were not giving  out Euros? BTW, got 1.16 at local Thomson shop today! Sorry should have put this in the topic re Euro rates! Der, in holiday mode already, brain has gone to sleep! ;D
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 07:05:11 PM by Karen »

Offline Andy7

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: June 28, 2016, 01:57:23 AM »
Does anyone know if the ATM'S are working in San Stef.Saw that some islands were not exchanging sterling at hotels and ATM'S were not giving  out Euros? BTW, got 1.16 at local Thomson shop today! Sorry should have put this in the topic re Euro rates! Der, in holiday mode already, brain has gone to sleep! ;D

I was in SS last week and all the cash points seemed to have money in them, I had to go twice due to an overspend!

Andy

Offline Teamnickos

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: June 28, 2016, 11:04:13 AM »
Hopefully, it was because you were enjoying yourself Andy!

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: June 28, 2016, 01:09:25 PM »
Thanks Andy! :)

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni