Author Topic: Whats happenin'  (Read 1376097 times)

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Whats happenin'
« Reply #1335 on: May 25, 2016, 10:46:56 PM »
A little breezy today, especially on the beach, but the sun still shines....yay!!

As my parents have been visiting, it's been rather nice to be able to have an excuse to go out and eat/drink in places that we don't usually get time or chance to do.

Last night we ate in at Yiannis gyros....we have lots of takeaways over the summer, but rarely eat in, and it was lovely. He was nice and busy, with many Greeks dropping in, I believe we were the only non Greek customers, which is a sign of good food!

And today I had my first waffle at Silver Star, which was delicious!

I had an early evening drink at 3W's this evening, and was chatting to Margarita about signage. There has been an enforcement of an old law this year, which can result in fines for lit signs.  :-[ Some businesses are continuing as normal, others are not taking a chance and are not using their brightly lit signs. So if you look along a road and don't see a lighted sign for a bar or taverna, it's worth walking along to see if they are open.....they generally will be, but are just not so obvious as before. 

Offline Rover

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: May 26, 2016, 01:03:44 AM »
The logic behind this "sign tax" escapes me. Can someone explain what it is supposed to achieve?

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: May 26, 2016, 10:24:12 PM »
Rover, the story I have heard is that someone had a car accident, and his lawyer uncovered a law stating that there should be no overhanging, or lighted signage on main roads, it hasn't been enforced for years, so the driver is sueing the local council, claiming the sign distrated him, causing him to crash! Don't know if its a true story, or a Chinese whispers rumour, but many businesses have removed signs, especially around Corfu town, and on main through roads....but basically by introducing fines to businesses, its also a quick money maker!!  >:(

So, another sunny, although windy day, with the mistral winds blowing in off the sea. After a few breezy days, this should hopefully settle down soon.

Athens Bar kicks off their first live music of the season tonight, with Jamie O playing.....heard him sound testing this afternoon, and he sounds pretty good!

Condor Bar has the Ollie Murs / Robbie Williams tribute on again, so think that's their Thursday night regular this year, and 2 Stars has Greek dancers entertaining their diners.

We also have new neighbours again this year.....planning to open in approx 10 days, they will be serving takeaway type food, and snacks, such as toasties and burgers. They have been busy prepping today, and thankfully have painted over the lime green wall that we were left with next door by last years tenants!

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1338 on: May 27, 2016, 11:10:16 PM »
So today turned into a gorgeous sunny one, and the breeze has dropped, so a great day, especially nice for the new arrivals. 8)

The sea was a lot calmer today too, and the sunbeds are out, outside Mistral, Waves Athena, Mango and Havana, so plenty of choice for somewhere comfy to soak up the sun.

No live music tonight, so all fairly quiet, although Karaoke tonight in Condor later.

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: May 28, 2016, 01:48:39 AM »
Rover, the story I have heard is that someone had a car accident, and his lawyer uncovered a law stating that there should be no overhanging, or lighted signage on main roads, it hasn't been enforced for years, so the driver is sueing the local council, claiming the sign distrated him, causing him to crash! Don't know if its a true story, or a Chinese whispers rumour, but many businesses have removed signs, especially around Corfu town, and on main through roads....but basically by introducing fines to businesses, its also a quick money maker!!  >:(

So, another sunny, although windy day, with the mistral winds blowing in off the sea. After a few breezy days, this should hopefully settle down soon.

Athens Bar kicks off their first live music of the season tonight, with Jamie O playing.....heard him sound testing this afternoon, and he sounds pretty good!

Condor Bar has the Ollie Murs / Robbie Williams tribute on again, so think that's their Thursday night regular this year, and 2 Stars has Greek dancers entertaining their diners.

We also have new neighbours again this year.....planning to open in approx 10 days, they will be serving takeaway type food, and snacks, such as toasties and burgers. They have been busy prepping today, and thankfully have painted over the lime green wall that we were left with next door by last years tenants!

New takeaway. Good for you and Peter, saves you having to cross that busy road to get to Yiannis for your daily gyros

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1340 on: May 28, 2016, 10:54:44 PM »
A nice sunny day again today  8)

Went a little cloudy this evening, which made for an unusual sunset, with quite a few people in Waves tonight enjoying it as a backdrop.

With the UK half term just started, there's many young families here now, and as the evenings are getting warmer, there's more people around after dark. However, there's also more mozzies!!  :-\

Live music tonight at Condor with an Amy Winehouse tribute, and an acoustic singer at Bar 38.

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: May 29, 2016, 09:50:33 PM »
Today started a little cloudy, but than didn't take long to clear, leaving us with fantastic clear blue skies throughout most of the day, with just a little cloud cover again this evening.

Condor, Zorbas and 2 Stars all busy this evening, in the centre of the village, and down on the beach Chilly Chilli are having their opening night party, with some lovely chilled out jazz music, creating a nice vibe on the beach.

Gardens have also been cut neatly at Ozzy Oil, so they should be opening sometime in the next week or so too, after returning from Winter in Oz. 

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: June 01, 2016, 10:21:24 PM »
Oooops, no update for a couple of days....a combination of our early closing  night on Monday, and heading out for dinner with friends, followed by computer issue yesterday!

Weather was lovely and sunny Monday and Tuesday, followed by an overcast day today, but still enjoying fabulous sunsets, regardless.

Scooter and quad hire has been very popular yesterday and today, with Spiros Bikes, and Pegasus both doing a good trade.

Tonight Yiannis gyros is packed, and tavernas all doing pretty well.

Last weeks winds brought in some seaweed, but the good news is the JCB has been hard at work piling it up ready for removal. Although cloudy today it's been very still, so hopefully there won't be too much more being washed ashore now....

3 W's bar starting a regular quiz night this year, on Thursday, starting tomorrow, ideal for anyone wanting to test their knowledge!

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: June 02, 2016, 10:45:38 PM »
Another lovely hot and sunny day....I think maybe one of the hottest so far this Summer, so plenty of people taking advantage of the pools and sea.

Tonights entertainment in the village sees an Irish act at Bar 38, Greek night at 2 Stars, the football on in various bars, live music in Thomas Bay and quiz night at 3W's

Barras very busy with diners tonight, and many enjoying the sunset from Waves, Mistral, and the patio of Beachcombers....now the wind has dropped such great places to watch the sun set!

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1344 on: June 03, 2016, 04:51:40 PM »
Wish it was hot and sunny here in Herts.We're wearing jumpers and the central heating has been on all week.The forecast says it will get warmer this weekend ,hope they're right ,had to put my bedsocks on last night my feet were so cold.

Offline Carolg

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: June 03, 2016, 07:37:48 PM »
You are not alone Dupnica freezing cold in the North East too

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1346 on: June 03, 2016, 11:42:11 PM »
Yes Dupnica and Carolg, it is much hotter here than there.....I spoke to my friend on skype today, and she was sat in her house in Wiltshire with a jumper and fleece on!! But she is coming here to visit for the first time soon, so she's looking forward to some sunshine! 8)

So we had a planned power cut this morning from 8am - 2pm. When the power didn't come back on by 2.15pm I was a little concerned as they usually are quite on time with these, but someone very kindly flicked the switch at about 2.20pm.

The result was a fair few folks having breakfast out this morning, at the tavernas that have back up generators!

The village has been busy all day with coaches coming and going, had one of them make a right to do about getting around the corner next to us to get to Athina, perhaps he's new!

Karaoke at Condor tonight, or bingo at Thomas Bay, or alternatively just a nice relaxing drink at one of the many bars....so much choice!!

Offline WINKIE

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1347 on: June 04, 2016, 11:35:58 AM »
Thanks Jackie,see you this coming week  ;D.
If its not one thing,its your mother.

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1348 on: June 05, 2016, 12:05:36 PM »
Thanks for all the updates again. Weather has picked up here in the UK the last couple of days and is nice and warm now :)
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: June 05, 2016, 11:44:07 PM »
You're welcome Jules, hope my little updates keep you going til Sept!

Sorry no update last night, due to Mrs Hippopots partying the night away in Sidari at a hen night  ;D

Weather has been great the last 2 days, with lots of lovely sunshine, just what we all love!

This evening the village had quite a nice buzzy feel about it, with quite a lot of people taking an evening stroll.

Barras had roast beef on their specials board, and was packed, so lots of people fancying their sunday roast.

And now the evenings are much warmer, Manthos, Waves, Beachcomber and Fantasea had lots of people on their balconies, enjoying the sunset.
No live music anywhere tonight, so it's quite peaceful tonight, and as I write this I can hear a scops owl outside

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni