Author Topic: Whats happenin'  (Read 1376165 times)

Offline Caz

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Whats happenin'
« Reply #1095 on: September 25, 2015, 01:51:08 AM »
I believe the bus service from here to Arrillas and St George has also made its last journey of the season today

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: September 25, 2015, 11:30:08 PM »
Thanks for the info Caz, I hadn't realised that. We always seemed to pass it on a narrow bend between Arillas and San Stef on our way to work! A great little service though, so hopefully it will be back next year.

Well, woke up to a very grey and cloudy day, lots of low cloud over the headland, and obscuring the mountain above Agios Georgios, so we should of known the big rainstorm with accompianing thunder was following not far behind!
It absolutely belted it down until about 1pm, when you could see a lovely bank of clear blue sky following behind the clouds, coming in from the sea....half an hour after the rains stopped the sun was shining, and everyone finally had chance to venture out!

A little cloudy again tonight, but its stayed dry. The sea was quite calm this evening, and the sailboat anchored just off shore made a lovely image, along with the sun setting through the clouds.
Plenty of people eating out tonight, with Beer O Clock busy, and people sitting indoors at Beachcombers.

Getting near the end of September now, but lovely to see some familiar faces back again, for another holiday before the end of the Summer.

Offline swedebasher

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: September 26, 2015, 07:12:51 PM »
Yes Mrs Pots, we thought we would not get back home with all the flight chaos in the morning due to the storm. The road past the Tsaros was like a water skiing course.
The Sopranos-la miglior serie in TV mai.
Mafiosa , Gomorra e Innan vi dör sono anche due serie eccellenti.

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: September 27, 2015, 10:47:24 PM »
Sorry no update last night, our internet was on the blink!

Well, fortunately the weather has now settled down, and after a storm yesterday morning, the sun came out, and the temperature rose nicely in the sunshine.

Last night, many were at various bars watching the rugby....England V Wales. We watched in 3 W's, where there was a good mix of fans, a nice atmosphere, and lots of shouting!

Today the weather has been much improved, although there was a sudden deluge this morning which sent people rushing for cover under canopies!
The weather has resulted in the little bridge across the stream on the beach taking a little trip downstream, and is now sitting rather askew in the water. I imagine it won't be long before its put away for the Winter now.

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: September 28, 2015, 07:32:29 PM »
I believe the bus service from here to Arrillas and St George has also made its last journey of the season today
We came home last Wednesday after another enjoyable holiday.While we were there we made good use of that bus for our trips to Arrilas . I hope they run it again next year and start the service earlier in the year as it didn't run in June . The 11.50 got us there in nice time for a refreshing home made ice tea in Ammos then on to Armourada for lunch.
We managed to get up to Afiones by taxi this time and enjoyed an evening meal at Porto Timoni.It was a beautiful warm evening and it was magical looking down in to St Georges as the lights came on along the coast.The meal was delicious and Kostas was delighted to see us after a gap of about four years.

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: September 28, 2015, 10:19:46 PM »
Hi Dupnica, I agree it will be great if they run it next year. If they do, my guess is they should start earlier, as it may have been held up this year by getting paperwork in place to get up and running.

So today has been lovely and sunny, with very few clouds in the sky, which is nice after the stormy days of last week.

Quite a lot of people going home today, and probably less arriving, so the village is feeling a lot quieter. Although Yiannis Gyros is doing a very good trade tonight!

Athens Bar have finished their live music nights, and no more musicians at Ozzy Oil, but Condor has karaoke tonight, and music tomorrow.

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: September 29, 2015, 07:01:43 PM »
 Hi Jackie,we enjoyed popping in to see you and having a chat and our daughter was delighted with the little dog you made for her.Looking forward to seeing you again next June,enjoy what's left of the Summer and have a good Winter.

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: September 29, 2015, 11:15:50 PM »
Thanks Dupnica, glad she liked the dog, hope you have a good Winter too, and look forward to seeing you again next year.

Well, it feels much quieter after yesterdays departures....definately nearing the end of the season, which seems to have gone so fast!
But the weather felt fab for mist of today with lots of sunshine. The wind did get up a little later this afternoon, so I did feel a little sandblasted when I took Bod to the beach earlier!

Ozzy Oil has now closed for the season, I hadn't realised this last weekend was their finishing date. They'll be heading back to Oz for their next Summer soon, but will of course be back next year.

Everyone else is still open, so plenty of choices for nice meals!   

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: October 01, 2015, 08:47:08 PM »
Well, 1st October today, the last month of the tourist season, and the sun has been shining, and the temperature has been perfect!  8)

However it also signifies the first day of the new VAT quarter, so a few places do decide to close on the last day of September, so as not to have to bother with another VAT return....
Chilly Chili did their last night yesterday, the weather can be against them at this time of the year, being perched up above the beach. They did a great job of turning a deralict building into a good new business.
Fantasea has also closed for the season, and this evening the floating platform for the watersports has been pulled back onto the beach by the parking area, which is where it spends the Winter months.

But still plenty of places open, so the village feels far from finishing for the season.  :)

However, 1 thing to be aware of if you're coming out for a late visit, the ATM's at Crystal Daisy, and Thomas Bay have been removed for the Winter, (they are taken away every 30th Sept, and returned 1st May)
Good news is that the one at Tasty Corner is still up and running, as it is a different bank provider.

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: October 02, 2015, 09:24:49 PM »
Another nice warm sunny day, with just a few clouds around, but nothing much to spoil a good day.  8)

Said a few farewells today to people leaving, and some hello's to some returning visitors, sneaking in another week, and who can blame them!

The village is taking on that quiet serene air that comes with October. A few less sunbeds on the beach, slightly cooler at night, and quieter roads with less traffic, but its still lovely!

Perros closed for the season today, and I believe Stamatis has also bid farewell to their final guests for this year.
No other tavernas or bars have closed, although most now have a few less tables....as it gets cooler at night, outside seating areas are cleared a little, and tables taken inside more, so people and food don't get cold.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: October 05, 2015, 10:38:52 AM »
It's definitely quieter than other years at this time. I've never seen so few people in Little Prince. We were the only ones watching Arsenal thrash ManU at El Greco yesterday. No signs of life in many apartment blocks. Vicky closes today.

There are no flights in or out for Thomson apart from Manchester and Gatwick, and we suspect that that's the reason why it's so quiet.

It's a pity, because the weather has been great. We came on September 25th and we have only had 10 minutes of light rain in the entire time. It was supposed to pour down with thunder storms. It turned into a beautiful day (though it did rain in Avliotes). Today is forecast dry, maybe light cloud, 79oF.

Offline Papapetros

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: October 05, 2015, 11:50:58 AM »
Thomson are certainly flying out from Birmingham and East Mids to Corfu in October.

Offline gillie

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: October 05, 2015, 07:55:01 PM »
Jim meant no Thomson flights today, Monday, to Doncaster or a few other of the smaller airports. Fridays are still flying or we wouldn't be able to get home!!!:)

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: October 05, 2015, 09:06:14 PM »
You're right Jimbo, this is our 3rd October, and most definately our quietest!
The season is drawing to a close, but it feels much sooner this year, as the village is soooooo quiet!

Vicky's closed today, also I think Kapitanos ( unless they'd just stacked their chairs for cleaning at lunchtime!), and Olga's is also done for the season.

Brusko did their final night for this season last night, and many of the other tavernas are quiet.....think maybe people are chosing to eat in the hotels.

The weather has indeed been lovely, especially today, when we had glorious sunshine for most of the day. 8)

Many are now doing reduced hours, with Mediterranean Village only opening for dinner, Waves only opening for lunch, El Greco opening later, and Crystal Daisy and ourselves closing earlier!
Most of us are 'playing it by ear' as when to close, but most of us are now very quiet.

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: October 05, 2015, 09:52:10 PM »
We came home less than two weeks ago and while we were there I thought I had never seen Agios Stefanos so busy for that time of the year,the place was positively buzzing. Just goes to show how quickly things quieten down at the end of the season.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni