Author Topic: Whats happenin'  (Read 1376010 times)

Offline benson

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Whats happenin'
« Reply #420 on: August 01, 2014, 08:01:32 PM »
Strong winds and a fair amount of cloud again this morning in San Stef ,cancelled last nights sun set picnic on the beach due to wind and cloud, looks like tonight may be cancelled again, most unusual weather, t shirts and shawls required around the pool at the mo! Just have to tough it out at the bar!! ;D

I stopped worrying about the weather a long time ago, yes it's nice to have 14 days of 35+ degrees and not a cloud in the sky. But hey oh, never takes the magic away.

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: August 01, 2014, 11:28:22 PM »
Yes, very strange weather this year, but its right its not just us, as weather has been odd all down the Adriatic, affecting Italy, Croatia, Bosnia etc, as well as Greece.
But as Sellsey says, the bar is always a good spot to retreat too is necessary!

Today started a little cloudy, but the sun shone through as the day went on.
Theres a little bit of a breeze tonight, but still a pleasant evening.

Waspman has posted a video on youtube, called my crazy agios (san) Stefanos friends 2014....perhaps he can post a link, as I'm hopeless at that sort of thing!
But if you get chance, take a look, regular visitors will recognise alot of faces. He managed to get a lot of us involved, he can be very persuasive you know!! 

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: August 01, 2014, 11:33:48 PM »
OK, going to have a go at typing this link for youtube.
I'm hopeless at 'cut and paste', so hopefully I type it right

http://youtu.be/f-fl9RNnxtE

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: August 02, 2014, 02:11:02 PM »
Thanks for that hippopots, it took us right back to our holiday!!

Offline Andy

• View Profile
« Reply #424 on: August 02, 2014, 03:23:30 PM »
Familiar faces that we hope to see next month. Nice :D

Offline gillie

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: August 02, 2014, 07:36:57 PM »
Brilliant! Amazing how difficult it is to recognize people!  ;D

Gillie

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: August 03, 2014, 01:00:17 AM »
A gorgeous sunny day again today  8)

San Stef is now pretty busy, lots of new arrivals yesterday, and also lots of foreign reg cars arriving. August is renowned for being the month Italy goes on holiday, and this morning hubby spotted 8 Itaian reg cars parked on the beach!
Also plenty of German, Austrian, Swiss, Romanian, Bulgarian, and Serbian cars here, amazing how many choose to drive here.

This evening is still busy at Midnight, with Robbie Williams/Tom Jones act in Condor, and Keith Mitchell in Athens Bar, all other bars are doing well too, and a nice atmosphere in the village.

However Mozzies are out too....don't forget the repellent!! 

Online Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: August 03, 2014, 01:23:23 AM »
Waspman has posted a video on youtube, called my crazy agios (san) Stefanos friends 2014.....so thats who John Smith is!!!..Will have to get on the next video if your around in Sept!!!

Sorry, not me!

Offline loftyscot

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: August 03, 2014, 11:48:13 AM »
Very clever video Waspman, we've not been since 2011 and it was nice to see friendly, familiar faces again, cheers.

Offline Andy7

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: August 03, 2014, 01:32:00 PM »
Just a note on the rather dodgy weather in SS recently, this is nothing new, I had my honeymoon in Corfu in late July 2002 and the weather was worse than it has been recently. I had a holiday in Kefalonia in 2006 and had a day of heavy rain in July while a holiday in a Parga in 2007 was interrupted by a day of rain in August.

My sister had 3 days of rain in Skiathos in July 2005 so this myth that it doesn't rain in Greece in high summer is just that.

I reckon the Greek Tourist Board like to make out it will never rain on your Greek holiday in summer but in reality that is not guaranteed.

Andy

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: August 03, 2014, 02:04:41 PM »
The area where it almost never rains in the summer is Rhodes. That's rocky, parched and sun-bleached (but still lovely).

Corfu is green and suitable for cricket precisely because it's wet. What is slightly unusual this year is that air temperatures have felt relatively low. In July it often felt more like September.

It rains in the Sahara occasionally, so I'm not going there!

Offline Jacksi

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: August 03, 2014, 07:41:59 PM »
We had rain in Skiathos for a few days, must have been around 2007, in July/August.  We arrived on the last day of a heat wave (it had been so hot they had had forest fires) and a few days after the heat wave broke there was torrential rain and it was dull and drizzly for a few days!!  Not what was expected at all!!

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: August 04, 2014, 01:01:45 AM »
Pleased to report no rain today folks, just sunshine, and lots of it!

Many, many people on the beach today, as on a Sunday, alot of Greeks take the chance to go to the beach if they have any time off.

This followed on into the evening, with penty of people watching the sunset from the beach, and all the beachside tavernas were full tonight.
Still hot now at Midnight....really into the throes of summer now!   

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: August 05, 2014, 01:06:43 AM »
Hot and sunny again today  8)

Not a cloud in the sky for most of the day, although a breeze did pick up this evening, giving a refreshing feel to the air.

Even though its a Brits changeover day today, San Stef is very busy tonight, with a packed Zorbas, busy El Grecos (who also had a singer on tonight), and quite a few in Acabar and Barras.

It's quite a different feel here in August, than it is either end of the season, due to the number of visitors, with many being young families, but there is still that lovely relaxed ambience about the place.
We were talking to a family today here for the first time, who are already planning next years visit!

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: August 06, 2014, 01:50:34 AM »
Another glorious day here in San Stef.

Beach is very busy now, and the watersports are doing well too.

This evening there's a Freddie Mercury tribute in Condor, and a band still going strong in Athens Bar.

One of the unfortunate sides of living here is the number of stray dogs...some get lost, some get abandoned.
Anyone who visited in May might remember Jack, who after nearly 3 months on the street was collected by his owner.
At the moment we have a new street dog, a young alsation, with a lovely temperament, who appeared on Saturday.
Despite posting photos on line by myself and others, no-one has claimed him.
However, quite a few guests here have fallen for his charms, and it appears he's doing well for titbits on the beach! He also had a good grooming session from a lady who's here on holiday, this evening, to get rid of some matted fur.
Some of you very kindly donated food for Jack, which, since he hasn't been around I have stored ready for the next needy dog, so I'd just like to let you know that this one is benefiting from your generosity.

We're hoping that he may have somewhere to go soon, as a local is trying to find him a home with a relative.

There will sadly always be strays here in Corfu, but we're all doing what we can to help them.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni