Author Topic: Whats happenin'  (Read 1386732 times)

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Whats happenin'
« Reply #870 on: May 15, 2015, 11:47:21 PM »
A breezy day today, but still lovely and sunny. Nice and warm too, although the breeze makes it a little cooler tonight.

The coaches have been rolling in and out all day.

Just about everyone is open now, apart from Ozzy Oil, which will open when Kerry and Nikos return from Australia, and Summer Dreams, although they have been cleaning the last couple of days, so should be open soon.

Also, the little bungalow on the beach next to Vicky's is still being worked on, with Chilly Chilli, the new occupants due to open I believe in June.

Offline diane13

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: May 16, 2015, 07:09:02 PM »

Great to read all of your updates  - we won't be there until September but can envisage what is going on through your accounts.  Does anyone know yet what will be happening with  Silver Star this season?  Happy Hols to everyone who is lucky enough to be in San Stefanos now  :D

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: May 16, 2015, 10:50:56 PM »
Thanks Diane13, glad you're enjoying!

Silver Star has bee taken on this year by Spiro who used to work at Athina, and his wife. They had their 'official' opening this evening, and as well as being a bar, they are offering coffees and snacks.

Sunny again, but also breezy this morning, although this did die down a bit as the day progressed.

Lots of familiar faces around the village, as many regulars arrived yesterday.

The soul music fans are still having a great time at Silver Moon, and there's live music tonight at Condor, in the form of a Blues Brothers tribute.

Offline diane13

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: May 17, 2015, 02:06:24 AM »
Thanks for the info Hippopots   ;)

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: May 17, 2015, 02:07:53 AM »
Realy enjoying the daily info.can picture the village coming to life.yammas

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: May 17, 2015, 11:32:42 PM »
Yammas Rilo57!

Another beautiful sunny day.....any guests in May have had the most wonderful weather!  8)

Quite a few people wandering around today, and a number of first time visitors too, which is great, especially when they all tell us how much they're enjoying their holiday.

The new taverna, that has gone into the old Quattro had some people dining there tonight, and Beer O Clock is proving popular with locals and visitors too. Good to see 2 new businesses getting going.

Offline abbo

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: May 18, 2015, 03:15:39 PM »
Is that my imagination or do I spot sunbeds..

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: May 18, 2015, 04:19:20 PM »
They resemble sun-beds, certainly. But if you lie on them in the daytime you will experience horrible and frightening dreams.

They are part of a new government tourist initiative to bring vampires in from Transylvania. When the light goes the bats come, as you may have noticed. Beware of any bats wearing T-shirts with slogans like "Suck it and See," or "Mine's a Bloody Mary." The worst kind of vampire bats are those with tattoos, but fortunately they mostly go to Sidari or Kavos.

Be especially careful this year of any stunningly beautiful pale women in white dresses singing Karaoke in tune in Condor Bar late at night. If they smile at you in a seductive, toothy way, avoid phrases like "Hi babe, you're drop-dead gorgeous."

Wise advice is to take garlic and a crucifix with you in your hand-baggage. Light-weight crucifixes are now available in most Duty Free areas or on board Thomson flights, which are generally staffed by Undead.

Whatever you do, do not lie on these fake "sun-beds,"  and if you do, be sure not to fall asleep or you will undergo strangely hot sensations: these are the mark of the Beast, and you will experience delusions and strange skin-peeling as the bat-juice which infects them softens you up for night-feeding. Safe places after dark are: Little Prince, because they're frightened of Dimitris; Nafsika, because Spiros kills them with his Specials Board; and Aquarius, because Glenn's jokes make them curl up and fall into a heap of despairing dust.

Offline Rod

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: May 18, 2015, 05:32:26 PM »
Quality Jimbo!

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: May 19, 2015, 01:35:30 PM »
Jimbo, you're writing style is so much like an author whose book I am currently reading, I thought for a moment you could be him writing under a pseudonym! However, yesterday I read a chapter where he said how he disliked Greece, so I guess you're not one and the same!!

Change of timing of posts for the next few days....Mr Hippopots has gone away for a few days, which means its pretty late by the time I close up and go for a wander with Bod, after which I'm off to bed!
So posts will be the morning after, until he's back at the weekend.

Yesterday was a little overcast but still pleasant, but lightening was forking across the sky over Corfu Town way last night. We never had any storms here, but aparantly they had hail in Kassiopi and Acharavi.

All quite quiet last night at about 11pm, just a few drinkers around in Bar 38 and El Greco, and late diners in Zorbas, however there were people departing yesterday, with others arriving on later flights. 

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: May 19, 2015, 02:53:51 PM »
I hope it's a good book, Jackie! Actually, my writing style changes depending on what I'm writing.

Any writer who says they don't like Greece is a fake writer, in my opinion. The entire region has been a kind of story factory for thousands of years. Look up at the stars and you will see constellations named by the ancient Greeks. For example - Lyra: Orpheus was a wonderful harp (Lyre) player. His wife Eurydice died, and Orpheus was granted the chance to descend into the underworld and bring her back, provided he never turned around and looked at her. When he arrived at the exit from the underworld he thought it was okay to see her, but she was still inside. She vanished from him for ever. After he was killed, Zeus took his harp and fixed it in the sky. In the summer, if you look almost straight up in a nice dark place, say the beach, you will see a very bright star - Vega - and Vega is part of Lyra, the constellation of Orpheus' harp.

Sun, sea, landscape, tasty food and all this wonderful richness of drama and stories. What's not to adore about the place?

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: May 20, 2015, 01:56:08 PM »
I agree Jimbo.....we love being here. Good weather, beautiful landscapes, lovely fresh food, and of course the most wonderful people, who have made us so welcome and feel so at home.

Well, yesterday started dull and overcast, rather a shame for Mondays arrivals, but by mid afternoon the sun did its thing and broke through.  8)

By about 6pm the sky turned ominously dark over the mountains, and a few rumbles were heard. Half hour later the wind blew in, and we all started bringing in stock that was outside, and Spiro next door was straight up on the roof to rescue his flags!
But the rain and storm didn't last long, just enough to dampen down the dust, but not enough to dampen spirits, as people were happily still walking down into the village for dinner and drinks.

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: May 22, 2015, 12:14:07 PM »
Sorry for hapahzard postings, Mr Hippopots back today, so normal service will resume!

Yesterday was quite overcast for most of the day, but not cold.

Still a good day for walking, and maybe taking advantage of a hike up the headland to partake of a drink. Spoilt for choice up there, with Gravia, Akrotiri, and the one who's name I always forget(!), with the lovely swinging seat overlooking Arillas. I've got friends arriving today, so I'm sure at some point we'll head up there, especially as one of them came last year and decided the swing seat was her 'happy place!'

Last night there was a new singer at Athens Bar. Following in the footsteps of the very popular Keith Mitchell is a big ask, but he sounded very good....his song choices were very similar to Keith, so if he's going to be a regular act, I think he'll do well. 

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: May 22, 2015, 01:10:53 PM »
The little shack place is called Erriana - after the little girl...

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: May 23, 2015, 10:02:58 PM »
Thanks Jimbo....for some reason my mind goes blank with that name, I walked up there today with my 2 friends who are here for a week, and had a lovely hour chatting on one of their swing seats, with a most beautiful view over Arillas, whilst enjoying frappes, bliss!!

Well, yesterday was decidedly stormy....woke up at 6am to a howling gale, then later to a very overcast, cloudy, and windy day. We did also get a few spots of rain, but nothing too major.
However, by 4pm we were back to glorious sunshine once again.

Today has been sunny all day, and a rather balmy 25 degrees, so many were enjoying a relaxing day by the pool.

This evening sees karaoke at Thomas Bay, and Boy George tribute at Condor, or just a nice quiet drink watching the sun go down from one of the beach bars. 

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni