Author Topic: Whats happenin'  (Read 1376284 times)

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Whats happenin'
« Reply #840 on: May 09, 2015, 12:34:51 AM »
Another wonderful day here again today, sun shining, slight breeze, no clouds!

I'm not one to get into political debate, but I know there's been a lot of speculation in the press recently regarding the Greek economy, taxes etc. As Rover says, there has been talk of a slight increase in taxes on food and accommodation, but bear in mind this has been coupled with, as Jimbo says, an across the board VAT rate of 18%. Whilst this means that it may go up a couple of % in some places, others of us will be able to reduce prices, as gift shops like ourselves currently have to pay 23% of our takings in VAT.....I'd love a reduction to 18%! The phrase 'swings and roundabouts' springs to mind......

There seems to be so much about the economy here in the UK press, a lot of which will probably never be implemented, so don't worry, be happy, and just enjoy the sunshine!  8)

Lots of coaches rolling in tonight, and the village is coming to life fully now. Tonight saw the opening of Condor Bar, Little Prince, Olympia, and Yiannis taverna. The launderette is also up and running.
Preparations underway at Summer Dreams, tables and chairs out at Silver Star, and Bar 38 looks like they are just about ready too.
Glenn told us Aquarius was opening tomorrow, but his sign is lit up tonight, so may be open tonight...

The Juice Bar is staying open into early evening, and Beer O Clock is opening tomorrow, bringing more places for a drink to the older part of the village.

Lots of people seem to be arriving, so here's hoping we all have a wonderful Summer here in San Stefanos!

« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 12:36:30 AM by hippopots »

Offline WINKIE

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: May 09, 2015, 12:08:42 PM »
Thanks again Jackie,so looking forward to seeing you and San Stef,four weeks come Monday.
If its not one thing,its your mother.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: May 09, 2015, 12:18:16 PM »
Current Greek VAT rules are very complicated:

* Standard rate 23%
* Reduced rate on pharmaceuticals and food 13%
* Reduced rate on books, newspapers, magazines and restaurants 6.5%

So if a standard rate of 18% is passed it would mean a 5% increase in the cost of food in supermarkets, and, more significantly, an 11.5% increase in restaurant prices.

What does this mean in prices?

A meal in a taverna costs E 10.0 BEFORE VAT.
The bill at 6.5% = E 10.65
The bill at 18%  = E 11.8

Looking at it this way, adding just over a Euro to a meal is not too heavy a price to pay to help keep Greece in the Eurozone...

Offline Broonie

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: May 09, 2015, 12:52:22 PM »
Don't think the vat will make any difference to us ,it's still very cheap to eat and drink in San steph ,plus the bonus of the people both British and Greek our idea of bliss roll on June the 5 th .

Offline crsfaz

• SanStef Regular
  • Love San Stef
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: May 09, 2015, 01:33:59 PM »
Hi Jackie,
just read that beer o'clock opening, first time I've heard of this bar. Where abouts is it please?
Crs 😊🍻

Offline thejoneses

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: May 09, 2015, 04:03:57 PM »
Beer o clock is the old olive press , across road from beachcomber next to nafsika. Great food there when giorgiou was doin the charcoal cooking .

Offline crsfaz

• SanStef Regular
  • Love San Stef
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: May 09, 2015, 04:47:37 PM »
Ah.. Nice one. Thanks. Will no doubt be trying it. :-)
Crs 😊🍻

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: May 09, 2015, 09:59:57 PM »
Another gorgeously sunny day again today, and a 'red sky at night' sunset.

Lots of new arrivals walking around this morning, many new faces, and also many regular visitors, which is lovely.

Beer O Clock opened today....I did try to take a look at the menu this morning whilst walking Bod, but unfortunately he spotted a cat, and anyone who's seen my dog's behavior when he sees a cat will understand why I didn't get to read it much! But I will try again, when on my own!

Sunset is busy prepping and cleaning, so will probably be opening soon, and our new neighbours have been cleaning and decorating, getting ready to open.

Online BAJ

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: May 10, 2015, 03:50:17 AM »
Ref the potential VAT rates for restaurants, there are Four of us and lunch and dinner would be a rise per day of approx 15€, so 210€ extra over the two weeks. Thats the improvement in the exchange rate effectively wiped out!!

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: May 11, 2015, 12:49:03 AM »
Lovely sunny start today, it went a little overcast this afternoon, but was still nice and hot.

Village has really come alive now....Sparkles jewellery shop is now open, as well as Manthos, and Mistrael.

No sunbeds on the beach as yet....all to do with the distribution of licences I believe, but there are some in front of the beach cafe at Athina, on their own land. Hopefully others will be able to put theirs out onto the beach soon.

One nice bit of maintenence that has been done is that the 2 lamp posts that fell in the last couple of years, 1 outside Athens Bar, and 1 outside Mediterranean Village, have been replaced, and a couple of others have been welded into place, to hopefully avoid any more mishaps!

Word on the street is that tomorrow we will be welcoming, along with other arrivals, a large group of approx 100 Soul music enthusiasts! Think some may already be here, as there is a Soul band on at Silver Moon this evening. 

Kernowfox

« Reply #850 on: May 11, 2015, 10:17:49 PM »
Not great news BAJ but still better value than the pig swill turned out by English restaurants/pubs for equivalent prices

Online BAJ

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: May 12, 2015, 12:23:13 AM »
Very true Kernow!!

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: May 12, 2015, 01:29:42 AM »
Well today started off sunny, then went a little cloudy this afternoon, followed by a few more hours of sunshine before the evening.
A little windy though, meaning a bit if a sandblasting on the beach, and quite a choppy sea.

More arrivals today, with the coaches starting to roll in this afternoon. Alot of the tavernas are getting busy, with Little Prince doing well tonight, and Giannis at 2 Stars seen welcoming old friends.

Think a lot of the soul music contingent have arrived, as there's partying going on at Silver Moon, pretty good music too!

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: May 12, 2015, 02:22:11 AM »
There seem to be some clarifications on the VAT proposals submitted to the Eurogroup. These are proposals demanded by Brussels, and, judging from the howls of protest by Greek tourism representatives, hardly what Athens wants to do.

Special rate on hotels to rise from 6.5% to 16%
Special rate for restaurants to rise from 13% to 19%

Nothing about this is definite or likely to be enacted immediately. Maybe I should point out that the special rate for German hotels appears to be 7%! Obviously, accommodation would be the hardest hit with a 9.5% increase. The impact on a restaurant bill of Euro 100 would be about Euro 5.

Athens payed 750m Euros interest to the IMF today, making the total interest paid in May nearly 1 billion. Note the word "interest." This does not help to pay off the sovereign debts. In my, admittedly biased, view this is a means to keep bankers in champagne. It doesn't help to grow the Greek economy, which has shrunk as a result of the austerity measures.

There are more positive signs after the EU finance ministers meetings today than there have been. I doubt if there will be any problems for tourism over the summer at all. We can help by eating and drinking as much as possible.

Offline spesh49

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: May 12, 2015, 11:31:34 AM »
 We can help by eating and drinking as much as possible

I am doing my bit Jimbo while I'm here

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni