Author Topic: Whats happenin'  (Read 1385816 times)

Offline WINKIE

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Whats happenin'
« Reply #690 on: January 26, 2015, 07:51:34 PM »
Agree with you Carl,much better for me on here,(no facebook), personally speaking of course.Thanks for the updates Hippopots,having fun trying to picture all these places you mention.Will see them in person in June,oh, and you too. :)
If its not one thing,its your mother.

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: February 01, 2015, 01:24:09 PM »
After 2 days of howling winds and rain coming down sideways, it was great to wake up to blue sky today. Still pretty windy, but at least we could get out the house, and head down to San Stefanos.
The good news is that there looks to have been no damage from the ferocious storms, although there currently is no beach to walk along. Poor Arillas seems to have taken the brunt, with the seafront road currently impassable from one end to other by car, due to a huge number of large pebbles, and a very high stream
But it looks worse than it actually is.....those pebbles will soon be re-located back to the beach, and all the debris cleared away by hard working locals.
As for San Stef, the waves were rolling in, and crashing over the old port, but all is well there.
Interestingly there appears to be something going on inside the Olive Press.....wonder if there will be a new taverna? Time will tell.

Offline amanda j

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: February 02, 2015, 01:58:44 AM »
Popping on here in the evening to look at the webcam and seeing the storms that have been hitting Sansteph has been quite scary, It must be awful for those living in the village. To see the beach disappear and storm debris past the blue box  omg! I agree Arillas has had it bad . Yesterday at times you could not see the stone boat jetty . Hope everyone stays safe x

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: February 02, 2015, 10:30:16 AM »
Yep was realy bad.saw a video of Arillas yesterday,the front beach road looked like a disaster zone with all the stones washed up onto the road..lets hope there was no major damage done..

Offline SCFCMARK

• View Profile
« Reply #694 on: February 02, 2015, 11:52:14 PM »
its always good to get on this site, always great information and friendly banter, really hope everyone stays safe  and the summer is much kinder this year.
really missed the wide beach last year, so hope it comes good this year.
got another 2 weeks this year, this time my father is with us (san stef virgin) and the second week my son and daughter and their families join us, so hope everything is good.

Offline rilo57

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: February 03, 2015, 01:13:13 AM »
Im sure all will be ok for the season.all thelocals work hard to ensure our holiday is as pleasurable as possible. Guess the usual sea weed issue will arrise but thats a political problem as regards removal of it from the beach...

Offline abbo

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: February 04, 2015, 08:29:42 PM »
Well I hope the seaweed problem is dealt with before the season this year, not in June like last year. It was awful and we had newcomers with us. They wanted to use Arillas beach as a result

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: February 06, 2015, 08:14:23 PM »
Lots of stormy weather at the moment, plenty of wind and rain, intermingled with thunder at night.....hopefully we'll get all the storms out the way before the start of the season this year, then we can all enjoy continuous sunshine all through the summer!! 8)
Despite the high tide we did manage a walk on the beach today, just from the road by Margaritas apts and Perditas, along to mistral, then took the pathway up to the road between Mistral and Manthos...any further and we would definately of had wet toes!
Work is ongoing inside the Olive Press. Not much done outside as yet, although the front wall has gone, leaving the patio area open to the road. Will it be rebuilt?? We'll have to wait and see.  ;)

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: February 10, 2015, 09:33:06 PM »
Well the sun came out today, although we have quite a chilly air temperature, I think it's the coldest I've known in the 2 years we've been here,

But after some wet days, it was a chnce to try and walk along the beach again, but the tide was really high again, so we only got from the steps down next to Havana to the stream, and that included clmbering over rocks by Paralia to avoid soggy feet!

All is still fairly quiet, although there is building work still progressing at Delfino Blu, and San Stefanos supermarket is doing a fairly regular trade....nice and handy for us locals to have the shop open all year round!

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: February 17, 2015, 07:26:59 PM »
Took advantage of another gloriously sunny day to pop to San Stef, to collect a few things from our shop, but also to enjoy a nice walk along the beach. The tide was out much more than last week, but we still couldn't get too far along the cliffs...only managing to get as far as the path to Romanza before the sea made the walk impossible.
So we headed back, and managed to cross the stream, courtesy of a plank of wood, then walked up the slope in front of Fantasea.
Some building work is going going on at Manthos Taverna....there is some renovation of part of the building, with a new roof and some rendering on the part furthest away from the entrance, looking quite smart.
Also, lots of carpentry work going on at the Olive Press....
And finally, building work is commencing next to Tasty Corner, where half the building to the left was demolished a few weeks ago. A lady who lives here now said it had been the first place she stayed when first coming here in 1985! 

Offline WINKIE

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: February 17, 2015, 10:47:16 PM »
Thanks so much for the updates Hippopots,very much appreciated.Manthos may be making repairs to the roof of the building,I believe it was damaged in a recent storm.
If its not one thing,its your mother.

Offline Buttons1

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: February 22, 2015, 12:41:58 AM »
Really enjoying the updates. I can see it all in my mind! I will be very interested as to what is going next to Elizabeths and also the Olive Press. We ate there many many years ago (11), which was the last time we visited before twice last year (and twice this year too). We have decided that we are going to have to be more adventurous and eat out more in the village!

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: February 22, 2015, 12:26:32 PM »
Buttons1, so many lovely places to eat in the village, we haven't even tried them all yet, and we live here! But we do enjoy hearing the reccommendations from our customers when they're here. The problem we have is that in Winter everyone is closed, then in summer when everyone is open, so are we! We only have the excuse to go out to eat when we have visitors, and then only 1 of us at a time! Although we do make an exception for our birthdays, and anniversary  ;)

Well, after 2 weeks of glorious sunshine, today is wet and windy. We popped to the village a couple of days ago, and managed to get further along the beach for a lovely walk. All was pretty quiet.....due to the power being off from 8.30am - 2pm, not much could be done, although foundations have already been laid for the building that is replacing the demolished one between Tasty Corner and Yiannis Grill Room, so I wouldn't be surprised to see that all done by the start of the season.

Tomorrow is 'Clean Monday', which signifies the start of Lent here. There is a tradition of kite flying on the beaches tomorrow, but if the weathers like this, kite surfing could be possible! This is the 3rd year we've been here for Clean Monday, and every one has been grey and damp.....typical Bank Holiday weather really!!

Offline amanda j

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: February 23, 2015, 08:43:03 PM »
Lovely to have another update on village life Hippopots  :) . Our holidays seem so far away (end of July) keep popping on the life webcam for a beach inject! Hippopots , I did see 3 brave souls trying to fly a kite on the beach webcam today but they were only there for 10 minutes...it looked pretty stormy- the beach that had reappeared was almost covered in water again. In Oxfordshire today we have had wind, rain, snow, sleet and very, very briefly the sun :-\

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: February 24, 2015, 01:07:14 PM »
Yes Amanda J, Clean Monday was pretty stormy, with some very heavy showers. Saw some photos of children of friends trying to fly kites on San Stef beach, so may have been them!
This is our 3rd Clean Monday here, and every one has been the same weatherwise!

Alot of San Stef people went to Avliotes Carnival, which despite the rain I believe was a great success, judging by photos. As for us, we stayed in the warm and dry, enjoying a Clean Monday afternoon dinner at Amourada in Arillas, in the company of Greeks and ex pats, a lovely afternoon/evening.
And today, the sun is shining once again  8) 

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni