Author Topic: Whats happenin'  (Read 1383877 times)

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Whats happenin'
« Reply #465 on: August 18, 2014, 07:37:27 PM »
 Oh how I hate that wind,especially when it goes on for days on end,think I'd rather have a good thunderstorm.
 Manthos is the person for forecasting the weather.You can be sitting there enjoying lunch on a lovely calm day and he'll say "Maestro coming"
 "How do you know"we ask,to which he replies "I look the sea, Maestro for three days" and our hearts sink.

A similar thing often happens in the evening if we are eating there,"Tomorrow rain" he says and again we ask how he knows "I look the moon" he answers. The trouble is he's usually right,I suppose after years of looking at the sea and the moon he's become pretty profficient at predicting the weather.

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: August 19, 2014, 01:12:03 AM »
Hi Jacksi, yes that was me giving Bailey a little doggy massage....

I try and take a little break each afternoon, sometimes to the beach, or if I fancy a frappe, I pop down to see Shane and Sandra, or on a Friday, Kerry and Gwen.
If you're still here, pop by and say Hi!

Today the wind had thankfully dropped to just a breeze again. Much nicer, quite refreshing, and better beach weather.
I agree Dupnica, the local Greeks are experts at predicting the weather, which is quite handy as we don't get Greek TV to see a forecast! But ask a local Greek what they think the weather will do, and they are usually correct!!

This evening still quite a few people out at just before Midnight....many in Condor for a Freddie Mercury tribute, and others enjoying a more quiet drink in Summer Dreams and Aquarius.
Have to say the temperature feels a lot cooler than expected for August.... Iremember some really hot nights last year, but this is much more comfortable for sleeping!   

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: August 20, 2014, 12:54:03 AM »
All woke up to another glorious, sunny, hot day!

Perfect pool and beach weather today, where I think probably a fair number of yesterdays arrivals spent their first day.

A cooler evening again though, but its not stopping people from sitting outside Silver Moon enjoying a beer or 2. But it does feel a little quieter tonight than it has been recently, with Sunset just packing away the cushions off the chairs when we walked by about 15 minutes ago. Perhaps the cooler temperature has kept people to their hotels tonight, not that its cold compared to the UK!! 

Offline cabmufc

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: August 20, 2014, 02:13:35 AM »
Great updates as always Hippopots.Has really kept the magic alive while we wait our turn on the holiday conveyor belt back to paradise in just over 2 weeks time!!Any chance of finding out from the amateur Michael Fish experts what the weather is going to be like for us when we get there on Sept 5th!!??
Life is what you make it....Dont backdate it...

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: August 21, 2014, 12:34:41 AM »
Ha Ha cabmufc, I'll check with my weathermen next door, Spiro and Aris, closer to the time, and see what they say, but hopefully this fab weather will continue!

No surprise, hot and sunny again  8)

Beach was pretty busy today, with the majority of cars parked there being Italian, August being the month that most Italians get leave from work.
Afew clouds rolled in off the sea early evening, but luckily no rain, so another pleasant evening too.

Thomas Bay was pretty busy tonight with a singer, have to say she had a lovely voice.

Then walking back past our shop and up past Sunset, the music deminishes, to be replaced by the chirping of crickets....a sound I always associate with Greece.

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: August 22, 2014, 12:13:59 AM »
I have just seen on another section of the forum reports of the death of a man at the beach today.

I don't have any information myself, only what I've read, but I feel we should perhaps not have a report today, but just say that thoughts are with the family at this sad time.

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: August 23, 2014, 12:50:42 AM »
Woke up to another gloriously sunny day again today.

Quite a lot of people doing some last minute shopping before departing today, and new arrivals getting here by tea time.
Met 2 couples early evening who had only been here a few hours, and were loving it already....the magic of San Ste weaving its magic spell!

Not managed to get out for a wander tonight, as hubby is playing darts in Arillas, but the village has been quite busy in our area tonight, with plenty of comings and goings.

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: August 24, 2014, 12:35:36 AM »
A very hot day today....way into the 30's.

And very little breeze, so definately the type of day to be spent in the water or in the shade!

Not many people wandering around in the daytime, but quite a few were taking quads and scooters out this morning to go exploring.

Tonight many enjoying the music of Keith Mitchell in Athens Bar, whilst plenty more joining in the Greek dancing at Thomas Bay.

Around the corner there were some late diners enjoying a quiet meal in Town Pizza, Yianni's and Ozzy Oil....surprising how, once you turn that corner towards Arillas, you leave the music behind, and it instantly becomes quieter....unless 3 W's has music on of course. But tonight it was more peaceful along that end of the village, perfect for a quiet meal, or a drink with Margrita at 3 W's.   

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: August 25, 2014, 12:12:04 AM »
A very hot, and quite humid day today. This morning there seemed to be clouds forming over the mountains inland, and I did wonder if we were in for a thunderstorm, but it didn't materialise. In some ways it might have been nice, just to clear the air....mind you, I'm not wishing rain on anyone whilst they're on their hols!

And its still really warm tonight, resulting in many peope enjoying a nice bit of al-fresco dining.

As we come into what is probably the last week or two of the school holidays in the UK, there's still quite a number of families here enjoying their holidays, also still a nice mix of ages and nationalities, so this really is a truely international resort...but with a good choice for the good old British breakfast should it be required!! ;D 

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: August 25, 2014, 07:54:29 PM »
 We could do with some of your weather here just now. It's August Bank Holiday Monday and I'm sitting here with a sweater,warm trousers and my thermal socks on and I'm even contemplating turning the central heating on.It's been pouring down with rain all day and it's cold.
 Looking forward to some warm sunshine in San Stefanos next month,can't wait.

You're right Hippopots it's nice to see the different nationalities all getting on together on holday.There have always been visitors from Gemany and Scandinavia but recently more from the Eastern Europe. 

When the holidaymakers started to arrive fron the Czech Republic they used to travel by coach bringing with them all of their food together with the pots and pans to cook it in and plenty of beer and Vodka. They had very little money to spend,I believe there were limits on how much could be taken out of the country. Times have changed and they seem to be more affluent these days.

Offline Andy

• View Profile
« Reply #475 on: August 25, 2014, 10:15:25 PM »
My Deb's put the central heating an hour ago. Awful UK Bank Holiday weather. We can't wait be be in San Stefanos this time next week.

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: August 26, 2014, 12:23:18 AM »
My Deb's put the central heating an hour ago. Awful UK Bank Holiday weather. We can't wait be be in San Stefanos this time next week.

Must be a northerner, 21 degrees here.

Offline laurenandsam

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: August 26, 2014, 12:20:22 PM »
I am a southerner but still lit a fire last night!

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: August 26, 2014, 04:59:35 PM »
Oooops, just realised I missed doing a post last night!
We snuck off a little early (half ten), and went for a little drinkies and change of scene to Afionas.
Didn't roll back in until gone half one, but can report that Arillas was all asleep, but there were still some revellers here, in both Condor and Athens bar.

Yesterdays weather was beautiful (apologies to all of you who had terrible, but typical UK bank holiday weather!), and the beach was packed! The sea had taken on that gorgeous azure blue turquoise colour, and was lovely wan warm when I dipped my toes in on the way back from an afternoon stroll.

And yes Dupnica, you are right about the visitors from the Czech Republic and Eastern Europe. Whilst they have gone through difficult times not so long ago, now they are out and about enjoying all the San Stef has to offer.

Promise I'll do another update tonight.... 

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: August 26, 2014, 06:46:09 PM »
Must be a northerner, 21 degrees here.
It was actually warmer and sunnier in the North of Scotland yesterday than it was down here in the South East of England
 Aberdeen had 11.5 hours of sunshine we had a big fat 0 hours and it's still raining this afternoon.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni