Author Topic: Whats happenin'  (Read 1385541 times)

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Whats happenin'
« Reply #315 on: June 26, 2014, 11:16:38 PM »
Hi D@G, Lubrano's was called Delicious last year, and is situated just along the road from us, opposite Mediterranean Village.
It's now owned and run by Sophia, who owns the building, and used to have a gift shop in the same premises.

Yes, overcast today, but still hot, actually quite humid.
Still plenty of people on the beach this afternoon, and taking a dip to cool off.

Akrotiri was closed for a wedding today, and this afternoon, whilst enjoying a frappe at the Juice Bar, and passing some time with Shane, we saw some of the wedding party congregating at Summer Dreams for pre wedding drinks and photos in their lovely rose filled gardens. It was lovely to see people all dressed in their finest for the occasion.

The wind picked up briefly late afternoon (bizarely at approx the same time as it did last Thursday), but hopefully it didn't affect the wedding.
Tonight seems quite quiet in resort, but have just seen Mary and Pamela (won't forget your name again, promise!!) heading out for the evening, amongst others having a wander.

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 27, 2014, 11:22:18 PM »
And we're back to sunshine again today:)
Although quite a breeze coming off the sea this afternoon, which kept the temperature to a nice level, and also made for some quite big waves coming in.

The area behind Aspa supermarket, at the Mai Tai boxing school is all being set up for tomorrows annual 'explosion' mai tai boxing competition.
Consequently there are a fair number of young men arriving in the village to take part, and doing training, running around the streets of San Stef.
Last year the event attracted a large number of spectators, so I would expect tomorrow night to be pretty busy! 

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: June 29, 2014, 01:08:51 AM »
Lovely hot sunny day today....still a little breeze coming in off the sea, but it's keeping the temperature to a nice comfortable level.

Many people on the beach this afternoon, with lots of cars filling up the parking area.

So tonight sees the mai tai boxing, which is still happening as I type.
Gates opened at 7pm, with the first fight scheduled for 8pm. Before it began, we were treated to a parade down the main road from Tasty Corner end to the location of the boxing behind Aspa, by a marching band from Avliotes. Bands are a big thing here in Corfu, and the Avliotes one looked very smart in their white uniforms, with red trim.

Then, as the evening has gone on, more and more cars have arrived, full of spectators, resulting in some interesting double parking in places.
The event itself sounds a lively affair, with music, commentary, and air horns being blown regularly.....think it will be busy there for some time yet!

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: June 30, 2014, 03:41:25 AM »
A late night/early morning post today...due to the football.

Poor Greece, equalised in the last minute (typically Greek, always last minute!!), only to sadly go out on penalties after extra time.
Went to cheer Greece on at the Night Owl in Afionas again, and it was a subdued San Stef we drove back into....although there were alot of local scooters parked outside Yiannis and Athens Bar.

A gorgeous sunny, hot day again today  8)
The beach was busy again this afternoon, as many locals were out, also ejoying the beautiful weather.

Met 3 more forum members today, Bee, Ioanna, and Dupnica. So nice to meet people whos posts we've read.

Off to bed now, more tomorrow  ;)

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 01, 2014, 01:18:00 AM »
A very slightly cooler start to the day today, but beautiful none the less.
Lovely weather for taking the dog to the stream by the beach for his daily frog hunting....he never catches one, but he has great fun trying  :D

This evening saw a busy El Greco, (with music not too loud), and Silver Star also doing well.
And down in the older part of the village, Kamini had quite a lot of people enjoying a quiet drink on their patio, and the tavernas  having no problem with seating people outside beachside, now the evening temperatures are very comfortable.

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: July 02, 2014, 01:12:57 AM »
Hot again!
The temp guage opposite is still only registering 26 degrees....it's definately lying now! We are easily looking at daily temperatures in the 30's.

Had to pop out today to do some chores, and drove back down into San Stefanos from Avliotes.
It never fails to take my breath away coming down that hill, past Romanza and Kapitanios, then when you get to Tereza's, the view across the beach is just gorgeous.
A fellow British resident said to me last year 'the day I fail to be impressed by that view, is the day I need to go back to the UK'.

A very pleasant warm evening tonight, no need for long sleeves anymore, and plenty of places to sit outside and enjoy al fresco eating and drinking!

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 02, 2014, 11:25:11 PM »
Hot hot hot today!  8)

I ventured to the beach this afternoon, and it was packed.
Lots of cars parked up, sunbeds busy (but still some left so plenty to go around), and a lovely calm, warm sea.

Was fun watching someone paragliding, and 3 people being bumped around on the doughnuts!

A word of warning though....as the season progresses the sun is getting intense. Had my factor 50 on, and was only down there for 45 minutes, and its fair to say I have a  bit of a glow this evening!

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 03, 2014, 12:21:43 AM »
See you soon Hippopots

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: July 03, 2014, 09:45:48 AM »
Thanks for all your updates. Can't wait until end of August.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 03, 2014, 06:48:24 PM »
 Enjoyed meeting you Hippopots and having a chat.See you again in September when my Chelsea mad friend comes to order her Chelsea plaque.

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: July 04, 2014, 12:16:38 AM »
Hot and sunny again today.
It was very calm this morning, with the sea looking more like a lake, with just a few rippling waves lapping at the shore. A bit of a breeze came this afternoon, which was lovely and refreshing, and created a few waves, but still great to swim in.

This evening hubby went to Sunset, to play in a darts match, and has just returned saying what a great place it is.
Ashamed to say that neither of us has been in before. I know last year there were a few comments on the forum about how quiet it was. Unfortunately no-one likes to go into an empty place....

But I must say, that right from when they opened this year it looks so much more inviting than last season. Lots of dining tables out on the front patio, with candles flickering at night, and nice new parasols.
Although Pete didn't eat there, 3 people he was with did, and said the food was great.
Friendly owners/staff and nice clean surroundings.....definately one to try before the end of summer. 

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: July 05, 2014, 01:13:01 AM »
Guess what...hot and sunny again!

The Mistral wind did pick up this afternoon though, blowing in off the sea.
I went to the beach for about half an hour, and had a quick dip, but the sea was quite choppy this afternoon, so didn't venture too far in. Luckily it's so shallow for quite a distance, you'd have to go a long way to get out of your depth.  :o

Saw Kerry from Ozzy Oil today, she flew back in on Wednesday evening, and this morning was working her way around the village, catching up with everyone. I'm sure she's already back to work at the restaurant!
And her Mum Sandra returns tomorrow, so expect to see her at the juice bar soon.

Offline Sellsy

• SanStef FANATIC
  • Cardiac hill, it really is worth it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: July 05, 2014, 05:47:33 PM »
Thank you for the daily snap shots Hippopots, really enjoy the little pictures you create for us as we sit here in the rain ! ( you happy now  Waspman!  ) Sounds like everything is in full swing which is great,  just over two weeks for us, so fingers crossed you continue with your ' it's hot again' theme. Cheers.

Gavlah1973

« Reply #328 on: July 05, 2014, 08:30:36 PM »
Spoke to Mrs Hippopots briefly this aft as we left Aquarius. McKenzie loves Bod the dog.
Also thanks to Waspman for turning up in his Waspman top and letting Kenz sit on the quad. Lovely people and good to see em again.

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 06, 2014, 01:24:03 AM »
Nice to meet Gavlah1973 and Waspman today.
Mckenzie can come and see Bod anytime....he expects cuddles off of everyone!

And it turns out Waspman is a fellow 'moonraker', from the same neck of the woods in the UK as us.

Beautiful hot sunny day again today.
And the sea was totally different today. After yesterdays surf, it was back to its placid self again, just gently lapping at the shore. Much easier to swim in!

Went for a walk to the beach tonight, then onwards up the slope towards the church, and back through the 'old' village. Everyone was pretty busy, lots of people out and about. Fantasea had quite a lot of people sitting outside, enjoying the view across the bay. It's nice to see the lights twinkling away on the Diapontia Islands.
Coming back through to the 'newer' part of the village, there was choices of live music in Silver Star, Thomas Bay, Condor, and Athens. Also quite a few people heading down to Aquarius.....nice place to sit and have a drink if you're not into live music.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni