Author Topic: Whats happenin'  (Read 1385141 times)

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Whats happenin'
« Reply #1125 on: October 10, 2015, 12:27:59 PM »
Awww, thanks everybody for the lovely words! It has been quieter on here, as the facebook pages are thriving, which is good as they also give lots of info.

I will continue to do the updates here, as lots of people popped in during the Summer to say Thanks, and not everyone uses facebook.

A little hit and miss at the mo, as our internet is playing up, and we're borrowing Spiros bikes, so I'm not always on to post!
In the Winter, I'll do weekly updates at the minimum, just to keep you all up to date.

So yesterday was a glorious day, lots of sunshine, and mid 20's temperatures.

It was also another changeover day, so lots of people left, but a few still arrived....met a couple this morning who arrived yesterday, have not been here before, and despite things beginning to close up, already think it's great here, so San Stefanos s still weaving its magic spell!

Quite a few places closing now, but still quite a few still open.

Barras were packing up this morning, as their last guests left yesterday, and as Jimbo and Gillie were the last guests at Little Prince, I think they just had to turn out the lights on their way out! All packed up for Winter there now.

Mediterannean Village was packing up last night,Beachcombers and 2 Stars had their last nights of the season yesterday, and both were very busy. And Bar 38 and El Greco were also in darkness yesterday evening, although whether that was because it was a changeover, or whether thats it for the season for them both, we'll have to see.

But all the shops are still open, as well as Spiros and Pegasus bikes, and car hire through Dimitria and Manos, Olgas and San Stef travel.

For food and drinks, as well as the hotels, we still have Athens Bar, Aquarius Bar, Yiannis Gyros, Condor, Acabar, 3 W's, Town Pizza, Tasty Corner, Silver Star, Olympia, Summer Dreams, Juice Bar, Beer O Clock, Waves,Mistral, and Manthos, so still quite a choice, although one by one, we'll all gradually close for the Summer.

Today is incredibly windy, we've already lost 2 items of stock, and it's only half 11!! >:(

Tonight was supposed to be the 1 night beer festival at the brewery, but unfortunately it's been cancelled due to the weather, as a storm is forecast. Such a shame, and it was so lovely yesterday! 

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: October 10, 2015, 08:01:19 PM »
Yes, many thanks Jackie. We feel like we're still there when we read your updates! I think Facebook is the culprit too. I personally don't use it! Some good reports Jimbo, also. Thank you. Hope you're enjoying this cold British weather!

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: October 10, 2015, 10:25:38 PM »
I heard that Jeremy Corbyn was there last week, anyone spot him?

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: October 11, 2015, 11:29:53 AM »
Personally, I don't much like Facebook, and I think it's a pity it's distracted from the forum. I have no desire to see loads of pictures of people's dinner and yet another sunset. Having at least two San Stef groups doesn't help, because people post their dinner pictures in both of them! Putting cameras on phones was a retrograde step, I think.

I much prefer reading Jackie's lovely updates, and it's far easier for people to find helpful information on here. Facebook lives in a messy "now," whereas the forum is logically arranged by major topic.

In the unlikely event that I have anything significant to say that's longer than one sentence I will post it on the forum and stick a link on Facebook. Maybe that will remind a few people that's it's here.

JC
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 03:37:12 PM by Jimbo »

Offline swedebasher

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: October 11, 2015, 01:05:54 PM »
Totally agree Jimbo. Never use any un-social media myself.
The Sopranos-la miglior serie in TV mai.
Mafiosa , Gomorra e Innan vi dör sono anche due serie eccellenti.

Offline Nellie

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: October 11, 2015, 03:42:41 PM »

I have to admit I do both, I love the wonderful updates Jackie gives, and can picture the village as she or Pete walks bod through in the evening.  I also go on the facebook pages but get a bit fed up of some of the bickering that can go on there.  However, the pictures are nice, and I have tried somenew places because of it.  thanks jackie for all your lovely updates.  I will miss them over the winter, but hope you all have a lovely break and hope you get away somewhere to relax! we are coming back next year with my mum too, and I was trying to describe to her what is soo special about the village, and found it hard to put into words, its not just the place, its the locals, I really have never been to a friendlier place and that aswell as how beautiful draws us back again and again. 

thank you, and happy winter holidays, hugs to bod x

Offline Chrissyann

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: October 11, 2015, 07:23:17 PM »
Thanks Jackie for all your updates I do enjoy them and I must agree I get fed up of all the food pics etc on Facebook.I shall look forward to next years visit and find something else memorable to bring back again like my Grandsons lovely dragon moneybox you made us this year.
Keep up the good work it keeps us going during the cold winter months :)

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: October 11, 2015, 09:44:03 PM »
Hi all, missed an update last night.....we're going home early now, and I must admit we both just crashed out on our hardly used sofas when we got home yesterday!

Well, we had a wild storm yesterday, the wind was getting up during the day, this was followed by lots of rain, a bit of thunder, and massive winds all night. Not much sleep for us due to a tree branch banging on the roof   >:(

Had some sun today, but also another torrential downpour this afternoon, followed by a bit more sun.

The stream at the beach is no longer a stream, as the weather has brought a lot of water up into it, causing it to overflow all over the beach around it, spreading out as far as Waves. As it was now looking all one level on the surface, I hope no one walks into it, thinking its shallow all the way through, as Bod has to do the doggy paddle in the middle!  :o

Couple more businesses have now closed. Yiannis and Vaso have packed away their famous orange cake tins for another year, and Acabar was packing up today too.

The village is beginning to take on its Winter persona now....the beach is saying farewell to the sunbeds, and reverting back to its wild, natural state, you can walk in the middle of the road, and locals have more time to stop and pass the time of day together.

Mediterranean Village was beautifully decorated this afternoon in red and white, for a big family celebration. It looked lovely, and hopefully they will all have a fab evening of celebrations!

Offline Sellsy

• SanStef FANATIC
  • Cardiac hill, it really is worth it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: October 11, 2015, 10:09:08 PM »
Thanks for the update  posts Jackie, you paint a great picture of village life...as well as great ceramics!

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: October 11, 2015, 11:53:53 PM »
My 2 boys think I'm a social media dinosaur as I don't do twitface or anything similar. Much prefer this forum. Have a good winter Hippopots.
When God created Wales he was just showing off

Offline Teamnickos

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: October 12, 2015, 11:34:46 AM »
Totally agree, I hate Facebook and only go on there because of the San Stef forum (and the Lindos, Rhodes forum). Yes I get bored with seeing people's dinner but some of the photos are really lovely - loved the one of Bod in the sea last week!
Thanks for all the updates Jackie, we have really enjoyed them  :)

Offline debra

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: October 13, 2015, 09:43:43 PM »
That's a good move Jimbo - I love this site and have been worried by lack of posts compared to how it used to be - lets hope we can keep it alive

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: October 14, 2015, 12:40:58 PM »
Well, yesterday was, in my opinion, a perfect October day....mid 20's temperature, not a cloud in the sky, clear views to Albania, and the Diapontia, and a gorgeous sunset!

The village is on wind down now, with everyone asking each other, 'when will you finish?'.
As I mentioned before, many have now closed, but that does mean others can stay open longer, as there are less people, but with less choice of places to eat and drink, it does still make it viable for some.

Tasty Corner does now look closed, (unless he's opening in evenings after we go home), but Yiannis gyros is still going strong. Silver Star has packed away about half their seating, but are still open, as is Olympia, Summer Dreams, Athens Bar, Aquarius Condor, 3 W's, Juice Bar, Beer O Clock, Manthos and Mistral, as well as Athina, Thomas Bay, and Nafsika, who of course all serve food and drinks to non residents.
Today is a little cooler, and slightly overcast, but it's still T shirt, and flip flop weather!  ;D
Any of us that are still open re on reduced hours now, with some only open in afternoons, and some only open in evenings. 

Offline gillie

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: October 14, 2015, 04:21:53 PM »
Thanks for the updates, Jackie, wish we were still there but the weather here in Hull on Oct 11th, my birthday, was beautiful, although I'm sure a lot colder. Doesn't sound as if it was so good there!! Getting much colder here now, but lots of sunshine and my sweet peas are still flowering in vast numbers. I pick some everyday and they smell wonderful; I've never known them quite as good. The Canada geese have descended upon our local park pond, so I reckon they know the weather...

I also prefer the forum,my grand children laugh at me, but I'm a bit old and don't want to share photos of all my doings and meals with everyone!! Having said that, of course some photos are great and there is room for both. However if you want to retrieve info, for example which Insurance firms were good for oldies with problems then it's the Forum every time! Jim is right in that Facebook is very much "of the momen" and transient.

:)

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: October 14, 2015, 07:48:43 PM »
 It's so nice to see some activity on the forum at last. I love Jackie's posts but she must have wondered if she was flogging a dead horse sometimes.

I am not on Facebook either but my friend, who is a convert, often sends photos that she thinks will interest me. I was quite alarmed by some she sent yesterday  showing a rather large drainage pipe, which has become exposed due to the recent storms, and originating from somewhere near Havana bar. This pipe seems to go straight in to the sea! Where is it coming from?What is flowing through it? I dread to think.Does anyone know the answer? I believe that some of the pool owners near the beach empty their pools into the sea,that is worrying in itself,but the thought that something nastier could be flowing through that pipe,surely not!

Do you think the changes and development that have taken place around Delfino Blue and Paralia Apartments have been responsible for making that part of the beach so narrow this year.Don't believe it's all due to Long Shore Drift.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni