Author Topic: Whats happenin'  (Read 1376502 times)

Offline Broonie

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Whats happenin'
« Reply #1110 on: October 05, 2015, 10:13:08 PM »
I remember last year we flew home on the 10th of October ,we were walking back up to the teresas ,after saying our goodbyes to everyone at the little prince ,it was very eerie all that was missing from the main st was tumbleweed ,never seen it so quiet yet 10 years ago we were out on the 10 th for 11 days and the village was still quite busy ,how times change ,look forward to seeing you all on the 10th of June have a good winter .

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: October 05, 2015, 11:43:10 PM »
Jimbo and Gillie

John and I hope you're having a lovely holiday.  Wish we were there!! :)

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: October 06, 2015, 01:44:34 AM »
We've have always stayed early September in recent years but this year it was late September into early October. The change between early and late September this year was quite surprising. The evenings were noticably cooler, jackets some evenings, a significant drop in the amount of tourists, many tavernas starting to close (some already closed)
Next year it's early September again.

Offline gillie

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: October 06, 2015, 11:03:26 AM »
Thanks Karen and John -we're having a great time and despite all the bad weather forecasts it has been lovely! No wind, one shower of about 10mins duration followed by a perfect blue sky, and really warm, in the top 70s, for those oldies who prefer Fahrenheit!! As people say when we arrived on Sept 25 it seemed busier than usual, but after Friday Oct 2 it has gone down with a whiz, unlike the last few years. I'm sure it has been affected by a reduction in Monday flights. When we left on 25 Sept there had been no availability in Agios Stephanos for about three weeks from Doncaster, Leeds Bradford and East Midlands Airports. All flights full. Surprisingly, I checked yesterday and there is now availability from Leeds/Bradford for 3 places!! Strange...

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: October 06, 2015, 03:51:26 PM »
Hi Gillie

That is strange!!  Sounds like you are enjoying the lovely weather, very envious!!  Hopefully bump into you and Jimbo next year, we have booked for July 1st for 2 weeks, as we couldn't get in the week before!! Enjoy the rest of your holiday and take care, both!!  Karenx

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: October 06, 2015, 08:19:03 PM »
Hi all,

Day eleven and it's been warm with mixed cloud and sun. No rain, though it does look like the Adriatic will get clobbered tomorrow.

The sun is still hot, and we've found the evenings warmer than usual - only needed a light sweat-shirt when eating outside. That's because there's been an unusual lack of wind - just one evening out of eleven. Given the horrendous weather forecasts before we flew out, every day has been an unexpected joy of sunshine and calm.

I'll write more when we get home. Autumn weather here is quite random, but this year the dice have rolled double-sixes for us. We've met some fascinating people and had some wonderful food, particularly at Nafsika and Little Prince.

I was sitting writing in the little bower by the Nafiska pool with a glass of Retsina to hand when a tiny wagtail landed by the pool and stood at the edge. I thought he was going to take the plunge, and then he obviously spotted the 'No Diving' sign and instead hopped up near me and cocked his head, as though asking 'Where are all the people?' 'I think they've flown back to their winter nests,' I whispered. Alas, so will we on Friday, but charged with Agios Stefanos' warmth of weather and friendship which I hope will sustain us through the winter darkness.

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: October 06, 2015, 09:07:02 PM »
Lovely write up Jimbo.....as you say, quiet here, but lovely weather at the moment, especially when you think its October, and its still warm enough and comfortable enough to sit outside to eat.

The beach is also quiet now, attracting more walkers than sunbathers, so the number of sunbeds is gradually diminishing, and the 'tropical' parasols (the straw ones), we being gathered up and removed ready for Winter.

But the sea is lovely and calm, and its a fab place to take a walk.  :)

Offline Nellie

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: October 07, 2015, 12:09:26 AM »

sounds beautiful! I love watching the birds, the dogs, and chatting too such lovely people.  Feeling home sick for my holidays!

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: October 07, 2015, 12:50:14 AM »
Is Bod missing his doggie chews Ackie?

Offline Rod

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: October 07, 2015, 08:27:54 PM »
Hi all,

Day eleven and it's been warm with mixed cloud and sun. No rain, though it does look like the Adriatic will get clobbered tomorrow.

The sun is still hot, and we've found the evenings warmer than usual - only needed a light sweat-shirt when eating outside. That's because there's been an unusual lack of wind - just one evening out of eleven. Given the horrendous weather forecasts before we flew out, every day has been an unexpected joy of sunshine and calm.

I'll write more when we get home. Autumn weather here is quite random, but this year the dice have rolled double-sixes for us. We've met some fascinating people and had some wonderful food, particularly at Nafsika and Little Prince.

I was sitting writing in the little bower by the Nafiska pool with a glass of Retsina to hand when a tiny wagtail landed by the pool and stood at the edge. I thought he was going to take the plunge, and then he obviously spotted the 'No Diving' sign and instead hopped up near me and cocked his head, as though asking 'Where are all the people?' 'I think they've flown back to their winter nests,' I whispered. Alas, so will we on Friday, but charged with Agios Stefanos' warmth of weather and friendship which I hope will sustain us through the winter darkness.

It was nice to have met both you and Gillie earlier in the year Jimbo.  See you next year!

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: October 07, 2015, 08:37:22 PM »
Yes Mr Waspman, Bod's missing his treats from you, and everyone else who spoilt him rotten this season. Of course, you do realise that if we see you in Winter back in Wiltshire he'll recognise your voice and expect something!  ;D

So today started lovely and sunny, and has stayed nice and warm all day, but there are now big black clouds lurking to the North of us, and there has been a few flashes and rumbles too. Spiros and Ari have been putting all their vehicles undercover, and the cushions are n off the chairs in Athens bar, so rain is on the cards!

Still plenty of tavernas and bars open, but Zorbas have been packing up today, having done their last dancing for 2015. With the intense heat we had in July and August I have great admiration for them, the staff at Little Prince, and anyone else who entertained guests with Greek dancing in such conditions!!

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: October 08, 2015, 10:47:19 AM »
The first flashes out to sea began at about 7pm. We decided to go earlier than usual up to Nafsika, where Spiros had promised rabbit stifado. We stuck our shorts on and hurried from Little Prince with brollies, kags, and carrier bags with evening wear in. The first drops fell as we were passing Beachcombers, and we just made it into the bar before the storm arrived like a war zone.

It stayed warm all evening. I was just wearing shorts and my Little Prince T-shirt. The rabbit stifado was superb, washed down with a lovely bottle of Nemea, and at midnight the rain stopped and we made it home without getting wet.

This morning, we are in a kind of well, with clouds all around and blue overhead. The roads and roofs are drying fast, but it looks as though they're going to get wet again. We shall see.

The beach by Waves/Mistral/Manthos is getting wider by the day, and up by Mango/Havana you need wellies at high tide. So it seems likely that there will soon be a North Beach and South Beach.

Last night at Little Prince tonight and there are only six of us left here, so it's airport time tomorrow. :-(

Offline H A S

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: October 09, 2015, 06:46:22 PM »
Hi this year seems to have been very quite on this forum apart from the daily up dates from hippopots  witch I would like to thank her for keep them up please maybe its because we all no so much about the place now and love the place and keep coming back any one else any comments.
Regards Harry

Offline diane13

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: October 10, 2015, 12:17:51 AM »
Yes it definitely has been quiet - not the usual banter which is a shame but I also look forward to the updates from Hippopots.   :)

Offline WINKIE

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: October 10, 2015, 11:13:49 AM »
Looks to me that Facebook is the culprit  :(. Love this forum,its so disappointing to see so few posts now.Jackie deserves a huge pat on the back for her daily updates,which I look forward to every day.
If its not one thing,its your mother.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni