Author Topic: Whats happenin'  (Read 1384700 times)

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Whats happenin'
« Reply #1020 on: August 10, 2015, 12:07:23 AM »
Glad to hear everything got back to Belgium safely rilo57....it was lovely to meet you all, and Bod loved his cuddles!

In reply to the question regarding what is in the buffet at Chilly Chilli, I'm afraid I don't know. The problem we have is that we're open such long hours during the summer we hardly get to go out (although we do occasionally have a sneaky drink or snack at some of the late night places), but anyone doing food during 'regular' times we don't get chance to go to, then when we close at the end of Summer, so do they! So if anyone has been to Chilly Chilli's buffet night, please let us know what they serve.

Another lovely day again today, and as dupnica says, a packed beach! Sunday's are also the time that Greek families who aren't working during the daytime come and enjoy the beach too.

This evening we were very lucky to have a performance through the village courtesy of Avliotes philharmonic marching band, and a troop of local majorettes! They did a great job of entertaining us all.....I loved their rendition of YMCA that they did outside our shop.
Philharmonic bands are very popular in Corfu, with many villages having one, made up of local people of all ages....the range is from young teenagers to older adults, which is really nice!

And tonight, another bar is celebrating their 10 year anniversary, that's 2 in 1 week! Congratulations Margarita and Crysanthos on 10 years of 3 W's bar! They're having a celebratory party this evening, so no prizes for guessing where we are heading to after work!  ;D

Offline mrsjune22

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: August 10, 2015, 12:34:29 AM »
When out there in June (pale blue dolphin & pink elephant)I suggested to a man by the quad bikes that they hire out a 'driver' to take out those of us too old to ride bikes but would love to go on one, I don't think he understood what I was meaning! First time I have never been able to get through to a Corfiot! Oh so envious of those out there now, I wouldn't care if it was pouring down just so I could be in SanStef.! Thanks for all your postings Jackie, very much appreciated. June

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: August 12, 2015, 11:57:45 PM »
Hi Mrsjune22, nice to hear from you! That actually sounds like a really good idea!

Well, I wrote a nice long piece 2 days ago, then just as I pressed 'post', the internet went off, so I didn't know if it had posted or not!
A little out of date now, but I wrote about the great party on Sunday Night at 3W's for their 10th anniversary of the bar celebrations. We arrived at half eleven, and there was a great trio of Greek musicians playing. This was accompianied by Crysanthos, and Stefanos who works at 2 Stars giving us an impromptu display of Greek dancing amid much smashing of plates.
We left about 1.45am, and I noticed the next morning that the bar was not open at 10am as normal......apparently the party carried on til 6am!

So, back to today, which has been lovely and sunny for the most part, but the clouds stared building up inland late afternoon, and a few rumbles could be heard in the distance.
This headed our way, and early evening we had a very dark sky with some loud thunderclaps, and a nice refreshing downpour! All dried up again by the time people were heading out for the evening though, which was good!

Live music in various bars tonight, Freddie Mercury tribute at Condor, Groucho playing at El Greco, and tribute to the rat pack at 3 W's.

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: August 13, 2015, 07:47:58 PM »
 We did get your post about the party at 3W's,glad you had a good time.Wonder if they had to go out and buy new crockery after all the plate smashing.

Changing the subject,for those of you not on Facebook,I'm not,but this item was passed on to me by a friend who is and I feel I must warn other forum members.
 A couple flying to on holiday to the continent became aware of another passenger moving their bag which was in the overhead locker behind their seat.They thought no more about it,thinking that the other person was just making room for his own bag.
 However when the plane touched down and they prepared to disembark they discovered that all their cash and valuables were missing.They blocked the aisles and warned other passengers to check their luggage,several of them had suffered the same fate.
 The thief was identified and when searched was found to have taken thousands of euros and other valuables.
 The cabin crew said that this was not an isolated incident and that the perpetrators usually boarded first and chose a seat at the rear of the plane where they could observe other passengers and where they stowed their bags.

I just thought that people travelling to Greece might be particularly vulnerable as we've been told to take enough cash to cover the holiday,so be aware not every one is honest,there could be a thief on your flight!!

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: August 14, 2015, 12:11:30 AM »
Hot sunny and cloudless for most of the day today, although the rain clouds re-appeared late afternoon/early evening, giving us another pre dinner downpour.

Sea was lovely and calm this morning, lots of people on sunbeds and and already in the sea when I was down there with Bod this morning.

Dimitra and Manos have a nice bright LED sign on the front of their office now, displaying the date, time, and temperature...quite handy if you want to see how hot it is!

Mexican night at Chilly Chilli tonight, hope they didn't get washed out with the rain!

Offline Steve B

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #1025 on: August 14, 2015, 12:32:52 AM »
Thanks for the warning Dupnica. It will make us a little more wary of where to put our bags. We try to keep our bags under the seat in front, so it's near us all the time.

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1026 on: August 15, 2015, 12:10:38 AM »
Hot and sunny today, which is fab as new arrivals, and people who've gone home today have all been saying its like Winter back in the UK!

A nice calm seas again today, encouraging lots of swimmers and paddlers.

Many coaches rolling in and out the village today, and it feels very busy out tonight. As this is about middle of school holidays, this may well be the favoured time to come.

Live music tonight at Ozzy Oil to accompany diners, and Yiannis is also busy...word of the famous orange cake must be getting out!

Silver Star also busy, with people enjoying a drink whilst watching the comings and goings of the village.   

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: August 16, 2015, 12:03:03 AM »
Another hot one again today, it was a little overcast for a while, but lovely weather for sitting on the beach or by a pool, without getting too frazzled by the sun! It's also been very humid, and there were a few rumbles of thunder in the distance this afternoon, but it stayed over towards the East side of the island.

Tavernas were doing well tonight, with Mediterranean Village, Zorbas, Little Prince and Olympia all doing a good trade.

And Saturday night means plenty of choices for music fans, with Elvis Tribute in Condor, The X Lovers in Summer Dreams, and Hungarian Beatles in 3W's.

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: August 17, 2015, 12:11:09 AM »
Guess what.....hot and sunny again!  8). We're certainly getting an amazing summer this year!

There has been talk of storms coming, and it did go slightly overcast again this afternoon, but we only had a little shower about 1 hour ago, so nothing to interrupt anyones holidays!

Many cars around.....had to actually wait in a traffic jam in Arillas this morning! Not quite a UK rush hour, but feels busy to us! But lots of cars means lots of visitors, which Greece needs, so I'm not complaining!

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: August 18, 2015, 12:18:49 AM »
Another lovely day today, hot and sunny, but with a nice breeze, so perfect!
The sea was quite wavy today too, so people had a bit of surf to play in.

Chilly Chilli were pretty busy tonight, and Elphida's are getting good reviews on facebook, so hopefully thats another new business this year thats doing well.

Karaoke is sounding popular too this evening, as we can hear plenty of singing from Condor!  ;D

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: August 20, 2015, 12:23:05 AM »
Sorry no update last night, due to lack of internet.....happens sometimes with ours.  :-\

But happy to say another gorgeous couple of days weatherwise, and now the humidity has dropped its perfect!

A busy beach this morning, even at 10am, with a lot of sunbeds outside Waves and Athina already taken.

Going to be honest, I can't really update you all with much today, as I actually haven't had chance to leave the shop since walking Bod this morning! August is proving to be a very busy month, which keeps me at the shop painting, but no complaints from me!  :D

Hopefully all the businesses in resort are doing well, and with any luck I will pop out tomorrow to see whats happenin!!! 

Offline Karen

• SanStef SUPER HERO
  • Wish we were there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1031 on: August 20, 2015, 06:23:56 PM »
Thank you for keeping us updated. I'm sure we all appreciate you taking time to keep us all informed, when you are so busy! It's great to see that you and everyone else is having a good season! Missing you all! Karen :)

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: August 21, 2015, 12:34:51 AM »
Well, this morning started with a nice refreshing shower of rain, that passed over us fairly quickly towards the islands, where you could see it pouring over Othoni.

Then the wind changed direction and you could see it heading back our way....luckily it went North of us, so the sun soon re-appeared here, although Sidari had a bit of rain.

A breezy day though, which gave us nice temperatures.

Lively tonight, with lots of people out for dinner, and strolling around.

Silver Moon has a party going on, which is in full swing!

Offline hippopots

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: August 22, 2015, 12:31:11 AM »
A breezy day today, which gave us nice temperatures, and some choppy waves!
Looking out to sea there were quite a few white caps to be seen, but the sea was that amazing turquoise blue we get here, which is so stunning!

As the wind was coming in off the beach tonight it was pretty windy down there....Chilly Chilli was closed tonight, probably because of the weather, as they are in direct line of the weather coming in off the sea!

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: August 22, 2015, 08:04:09 PM »
 It's been a hot day in Herts today Jackie,I think we've had a bit of Corfu weather,the aroma of many barbecues is drifting in the afternoon air. The only thing missing is the beach,could do with a paddle at the moment to cool me down. 8)

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni