Author Topic: Introduction  (Read 15092 times)

Offline Buttons1

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
Introduction
« on: March 11, 2014, 10:11:43 PM »
Hallo guys - I am new to this site, but not to San Stefanos.

We first visited in 1999 and again in 2003, both times staying at The Romanza Hotel. We loved the hotel and the area.

So we are returning in May this year, without our son who is now 20 and at uni. We are again staying at The Romanza and we are really looking forward to it. I have found out that one of our favourite restaurants in Arillas is no longer there.

How much difference are we likely to notice in the 11 year gap?

What will the weather be like the middle 2 weeks of May?

We will have a car and we would like to see more places - Lake Korrison, is it worth the drive, will we see many birds / wild or spring flowers? If not is there anywhere that you recommend? I am not able to walk far, so it would have to be accessible by car.

Thanks for your help.

Offline BAJ

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Introduction
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 02:31:28 AM »
Hello Buttons1,
The Romanza is still a wonderful hotel, and still owned by Mike and Eleni. The restaurant and bar is now ran by Katie, Leo and their son Andreas. You will find Katies food to be up there with the best in the village.
I am sure someone else will be able to comment on the changes since 2003, but its still a wonderful place.

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 12:11:00 PM »
Buttons1

The Romanza bathrooms have been upgraded since you were there with new showers, sanitary ware and cupboards.  A weekly BBQ takes place on Sundays (subject to satisfactory attendance) with a live duo of bouzouki / keyboard, dancing by the staff with guests joining in as well.
Most of the staff that you knew are now gone with the exception of owner Eleni and maid Christina, possibly Katie would have been there (in reception) in 2003.

The wildlife in May is far better than it is from June to October with fireflies and many wild birds to be seen, wood chat shrike, blue rock thrush, egret, scoops owl and stonechat are some of the more uncommon birds I have seen.  From the Romanza pool area you can see many buzzards, blackbirds, goldfinches, kestrels, swallows, house martins, swifts and sparrows and various tits (I know what you're all thinking but I do mean the feathered ones, great tits, blue tits, coal tits etc). You may even spot an alpine swift or two from the Romanza although they are far more common in Corfu Town.

As BAJ rightly says, Katie's cooking is amongst the best in the village.

On the downside, the hill is still there!!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 07:54:43 PM by Waspman »

Offline Buttons1

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2014, 10:38:01 PM »
Thank you guys for replying.

I have a photo of a guy called Leo who worked the bar when we were last there. I wonder if it is the same Leo.

We have only been in August before, so looking forward to experiencing a different season.

I have uploaded a picture here.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 10:51:12 PM by Buttons1 »

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2014, 11:48:09 PM »
Leo and Jenny left The Romanza about 3 to 4 years ago and opened a taverna called Mythica in the town, since then they have closed the restaurant and moved to the UK where they both have full time jobs.

Offline Buttons1

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 12:06:56 AM »
Thank you Waspman. Oh well it will be exciting going back.

I am beginning to get excited and am working out places to go, that we did not do with our son in tow.

We would like to go to the Achillieon Palace for sure. We have been to Mouse Island, Monastry in Paleokastrisa, and swum in the pool at Belle Vista. We did drive up the mountain and have eaten at the Agni restaurant a few times.

We would also like to spend a day/evening in Corfu Town, any opinions on how and where to park a hire car?

Thank you so much.

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 06:10:43 PM »
Thank you Waspman. Oh well it will be exciting going back.

I am beginning to get excited and am working out places to go, that we did not do with our son in tow.

We would like to go to the Achillieon Palace for sure. We have been to Mouse Island, Monastry in Paleokastrisa, and swum in the pool at Belle Vista. We did drive up the mountain and have eaten at the Agni restaurant a few times.

We would also like to spend a day/evening in Corfu Town, any opinions on how and where to park a hire car?

Thank you so much.
Best to park in the Old Port car park which is near to the centre of things.

Offline BarbaraG

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 07:51:47 PM »
We did a ""round the island" coach trip last year through San Stefano travel, which took in the Achilleon palace.Good day out but rather tiring! No worries about parking though.

Offline Buttons1

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 02:25:02 PM »
Thanks BarbaraG, we have decided to do just that as it will show us if we want to go back and spend more time there. I have been having fun looking at photos from 2003 when we were there last and I am getting excited about going again.

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 06:35:09 PM »
We did a ""round the island" coach trip last year through San Stefano travel, which took in the Achilleon palace.Good day out but rather tiring! No worries about parking though.

Six of us took the all day north of the island trip a couple of years ago but found that after about 4 hours we were still picking people up and had still not visited any places of interest, wouldn't bother to do it again.

Offline Ioanna

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 07:53:07 PM »
What my husband and I used to do when we first discovered Corfu was to hire a car and set off early in the morning and turn down every road or track towards the coastline . You would be surprised at what little gems we discovered !

Gavlah1973

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 01:25:12 PM »
HI Buttons, we stayed at the Romanza 3 summers ago and went back for a meal last year when we stayed in a different hotel.
The welcome is warm, the food amazing and the views still to die for!!
Andreas, Katy and staff are brilliant.
The village hadn't changed much in our 3 year gap. The odd restaurant comes and goes but thats about it!!!

Great place

Offline Buttons1

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 04:25:30 PM »
Thank you everyone - we are down to 6.5 weeks till we go and I am getting really excited. We have hired a car for the duration and like others have just got up and driven, round the coastline, stopping to admire views. I think we will do much the same this trip and see where the car takes us.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni