Author Topic: Calculating spending money  (Read 23069 times)

Offline Buttons1

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
Calculating spending money
« on: March 24, 2014, 04:30:39 PM »
As it is 11 years since we last visited and not sure if we were using euros back then, can someone give me an idea of how much we may need to survive! We are on B&B basis, so will need a snack for lunch (meze) and a meal in the evening. We will need to buy fuel for the car and maybe the odd present to bring home.

I was looking at £50 a day (approx 60 euros) - do you think this would cover the 2 of us adequately?

If someone could give me a rough idea of costs of things I would be grateful.

Offline Rod

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
Re: Calculating spending money
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 05:07:54 PM »
The wife and I normally cater for £100 per day for the both of us.  This budget will get you a cracking holiday.  You may manage on £50 per day but you will be stretched somewhat.  Everyone will have other ideas I'm sure.

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 06:17:28 PM »
I would say 50 euros per day per person and you would be fine........ of course always depends on how many cocktails you wish to consume.  But living here I think for holiday spending the above will ensure a happy holiday with plenty of nice meals out......

Offline Waspman

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 08:21:11 PM »
The wife and I normally cater for £100 per day for the both of us.  This budget will get you a cracking holiday.  You may manage on £50 per day but you will be stretched somewhat.  Everyone will have other ideas I'm sure.

I agree

Offline tenbeech

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 08:37:29 PM »

We also work on the £50 per person per day amount   As we always say its better to take too much with you , you can always bring any money you don't spend back home with you.
Adventure before dementia

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 10:10:24 PM »
€100 per day for the 2 of us seems to be the norm. Rather have to much and bring some home for the next time. We always take cards with us as well as a back up just in case of emergencies as well
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline BAJ

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 10:31:21 PM »
To give you an idea of prices at Romanza and everywhere is similar.
Beer €2.50
Soft drink 2
Frappe 2
Large carafe of wine 9
Cocktails 4 to 5
Lunch time you will be able to feed both of you for 15-20 euros, less if you select carefully.
Evening meal starters vary from 4 to 6, puds about the same.
Main courses 7 to 15, but most around 8/9.

Cheap lunch on the beach? Buy fruit and donuts, drinks from one of the supermarkets for a few euros. DO NOT BUY FROM THE RIP OFF DONUT MAN WHO SOMETIMES STALKS THE BEACH!

Most places do a nightly special of two or three courses for 9 euros ish.
Romanza special tends to be a deal on a main and a glass of wine.
Cards are accepted at most places if you dont want to take it all in cash. As the cash runs low towards  the end of hol i use card to pay for main meals at Romanza.

Offline Buttons1

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 12:39:16 AM »
Thank you everyone for your honest answers. It seems we may have to rethink our plans.

Offline Silverstar

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 08:43:14 PM »
I would go with £75 a day to be honest - £50 is a little too low, but £75 is a good compromise and some days you will spend more than others so it will all even out.

Offline cabmufc

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 02:18:30 AM »
We usually put E100 a day in 14 envelopes and take one out every day..anything over at night we put in the safety deposit box and use for treats and pressies in the last couple of days!
Life is what you make it....Dont backdate it...

Offline benson

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 05:56:30 PM »
3 of us, 2 weeks, 2,500 euros.

Includes:
Taxi from and to the airport
Eat out 2 or 3 times a day
Nice wine with dinner (not house)
1 days car hire
A scooter for 4 or 5 days
1 days Boat Hire
Far too many Mythos for lunch and after sunbathing.
G&T's in the evening - again far too many !

Offline D@G

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 07:12:37 PM »
3 of us, 2 weeks, 2,500 euros.

Includes:
Taxi from and to the airport
Eat out 2 or 3 times a day
Nice wine with dinner (not house)
1 days car hire
A scooter for 4 or 5 days
1 days Boat Hire
Far too many Mythos for lunch and after sunbathing.
G&T's in the evening - again far too many !

We spent similar last year for the 3 of us. Probably could have spent half as much if we tried, but don't go on holiday to watch the pennies.

Offline Georgie2002

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 07:26:36 PM »
For 1 adult and one child (age 11)

I usually budget around 80 euros per day which is just enough to have a meal out every evening (although my daughter doesn't eat a three course meal like me!), a light (cheap) lunch, drinks (cocktails/mythos/apple juice) throughout the day and a few gifts for people at home...and me! 

Although I only take 80 Euros, I find I'm always wishing I had more like 100 euros to be more comfortable and at ease with what I'm spending!  Of course I could just drink less cocktails...HA!!!

Offline tenbeech

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 08:00:31 PM »

I agree with D@G , we don't go on holiday to watch the pennies ( Cents ? )  your holiday can be as expensive as you like you as cheap as you like . You can buy lager and soft drinks from the supermarkets at very reasonable prices . and the cakes and pies from the bakery are unbeatable for taste and value . you can sit on the beach for nothing all day , even sit on the beach with nothing on if you like.  Evening meals are good value as well ,most do a set priced meal.   Although 80 + euros a day will be a reasonable amount to allow each day,  you can have a very good holiday for a lot less
Adventure before dementia

Offline Buttons1

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2014, 02:46:43 AM »
Thank you everyone, we would rather not be looking at the cost all the time, but with a son at uni, costing us a blooming fortune, money isn't as plentiful as it could be!
However we will be taking your advice of €100 a day between us, what we don't use, we will add to the next day and so on. We will pay for our car hire by credit card and if we see anything we really want to buy, the credit card will be used.
So looking forward to this trip though, so much crap in our lives, we need a break.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni