Author Topic: year after year  (Read 19451 times)

Offline thejoneses

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
year after year
« on: March 18, 2014, 04:00:41 PM »
any thoughts from everyone as to why we return year after year after year .. originally ours was because it was so safe n child friendly . if the kids have a great time then generally as a rule the holiday is better for us .. now the kids are grown up . 24, 17 and 15 . they still love it and the eldest been twice recently with her friends , staying independently . we always say we must try somewhere else , but always rebook as soon as flights are out . 2 youngest still love it and are starting to look forward to planning visits with their friends . crazy , magnetic , beautiful place . credit to all locals , barowners, expats etc  ... we salute you !!!

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: year after year
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 04:21:03 PM »
It's been raised many times. My take on it is:

* The local people are brilliant at remembering previous visitors and welcoming new people
* The beach and sea are wonderful, even if you don't want to be there every day
* You don't get ripped-off in bars and tavernas
* Prices are held at a very reasonable amount (unlike, say, Paleokastritsa)
* It feels like coming home; you know where everything is
* The views from the surrounding hills are beautiful
* You get to know other people returning, and it's very sociable
* It's quirky and totally its own place
* After a few visits you become family or friends
* You go elsewhere and wish you hadn't bothered
* Where else do you have a sunset over the offshore islands?

It's not the most beautiful village in Greece by a long chalk, but it's totally itself and they let us feel that we are part of it.

Offline thejoneses

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 04:31:15 PM »
very true Jimbo . introduced so many friends to the place , initially worrying about  would they like it ? is it their cup of tea ? but every time they wanna go back also .. were out July 27th - aug 7th this year . and sat indoors waiting to go to work ,watching the rain , ive gotta say i cant wait !!

Offline Richard/Jackie/Nathan

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 04:33:49 PM »
We try not to tell all our friends as we don't want them all going ha!

Offline WINKIE

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 09:27:13 PM »
As I have said in previous posts. We have spent thousands on holidays over the past 30 odd years, including the Caribbean.Our first ever holiday was to Sidari with our kids,then they quickly grew up,and we ventured to Kos,Rhodes,Tenerife,in fact all over the Med.Last year I stumbled across this forum by accident,we read many reviews on the resort and the accomodation.We picked out the Delfino Blue to celebrate our anniversary, but were unsuccessful in our booking, it was full.So we thought lets go anywhere in the village,if we dont like it we wont go back.Little Prince was the place we chose,after contacting a certain gentleman on here, to allay our fears, of the usual basic accomodation that is often the case in Greece.We will always remember the greeting we got from Mike and co,it was if we were long lost friends,hugs and handshakes all round,incredible.From that moment on,we just knew it was where we wanted to be,each day we would meet so many kind and friendly locals,nothing was a problem,always smiling and welcoming in each bar,shop,and restaurant we would use.We have never ever in all our travels, been to such an amazing little village,we will never ever go anywhere else again.There is not one day since we came home from our last visit,San Stef is not mentioned at some point in conversation.Magical place,and people.
If its not one thing,its your mother.

Offline rae21

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 10:24:23 PM »
Super post Winkie couldn't agree more  :)

Offline Jules

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 11:10:53 PM »
There is just something so intoxicating about the village and it's people. Always so welcoming. You could even travel alone but you wouldn't be alone for long. The village is so safe and no lager louts which is a huge plus.
Join us on Facebook on Agios Stefanos  (San Stefanos) North West Corfu Holiday Group

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 03:52:28 PM »
This is a personal thing. Over the last five years I've had three novelettes republished in "Best of the Year" anthologies.

They were all substantially written beside the pools at Little Prince or Nafiska. I heard recently that my story "Sky Leap - Earth Flame" had been selected for "Best British Fantasy 2014" and that was mostly written at Nafsika, with Chris occasionally bringing me a Mythos. Bless.

Most days of most weeks I have to run a software company and do your actual programming, providing tech support, and generally not having time to write. And that's probably like most people in the forum who have jobs they have to do and crap they have to deal with.

So, for me, Agios Stefanos is a special place where the everyday dross falls off, and I can write or just be myself without pressure. That's why I love it.   

Offline Jaxbubbles

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 03:08:58 PM »
I agree with everything that everyone said. For some reason our little piece of paradise pulls us back each year. We went twice last year, and we went to Spain and Portugal, I don't even try to compare them, as they are completely different holidays (golf involved!) and of course we going back to our beloved SS this year.

1.   The people are wonderful
2.   gorgeous beach, never really that busy, you can always find a quiet spot
3.   I feel like I'm "home" especially sitting in Manthos's with a big glass of wine watching the world go by!
4.   Even the people in the supermarkets make you feel like your their friend
5.   Excellent restaurants, never had a bad meal yet
6.   Great walks
7.   Did I mention the people? :)
8.   Hardly any lager louts, or folk in football strips!!
9.   Nobody cares where your from, or what football team you support.
10. Never anyone standing outside their establishments trying to get you in with the promise of free shots etc (my biggest pet
      hate)
11. Good beer and wine
12. No all inclusive hotels, which can ruin the economy of any small town, hopefully it stays that way
13. Oh and the people are wonderful
14. I just cant put my finger on why we go back!! but whatever it is I hope it never changes:)

Offline Rod

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 05:12:08 PM »
Great posts.  You summed the place up Winkie, short and to the point, "Magical place and people."

Offline cabmufc

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 05:22:37 PM »
Unlike some replies on here where a San Stefanos holiday is the best of a few holidays throughout the year,for some, me included,one holiday a year is all some can afford.We are lucky to be able to go away this year and when that opportunity arises you want it to be perfect.To know that even before you step off the plane that you have made the right choice.No worries about anything and you are guaranteed 2 weeks of perfect chilling out and relaxation away from the stresses of real life,knowing that you have no regrets about booking .That is San Stef and that is why we are going back this year after a 3yr break!! 8) 8) 8)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 08:20:18 PM by cabmufc »
Life is what you make it....Dont backdate it...

Offline Richard/Jackie/Nathan

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 06:55:33 PM »
cabmufc - that's always been our philosophy! We are just lucky that we can now afford to go twice a year - it was always our dream and we've finally managed it the last couple of years.

Offline Silverstar

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2014, 12:55:37 PM »
I’ve been coming since I was 8 years old so literally feels like a second home to me and my family.

It’s a place that for me is forever innocent and safe and nothing bad ever happens and I feel utterly at peace there.   

I completely switch off from all the troubles that worry me at home like finances, ill health and work and feel relaxed from the minute I step off the plane at Kerkyra.

I love the warmth and ambience of SS and the amazing people who live there.   

I said to my husband only last weekend that the two weeks we had in SS last August were the happiest of my life I think, I was with all my family celebrating my 40th birthday and they were just two utterly magical weeks.

We are coming back on 18th August and I can’t wait
x

Offline WINKIE

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2014, 07:27:57 PM »
What is it San Stef has, that other villages don`t have in Corfu?.I have been to very few others on day trips,and they dont appear to have the same charm,ambience or friendliness.I have noticed lately,more and more first timers are heading there this summer,my fear is that it will change into a Sidari type resort.I never tell anyone the name of the village when Im going or returning from holiday to SS, just say we have been to Corfu, LOL. Do you keep it a secret from friends and family?.Am I needing medical help with this addiction?
If its not one thing,its your mother.

Offline Sellsy

• SanStef FANATIC
  • Cardiac hill, it really is worth it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2014, 09:00:39 PM »
We are reasonably well travelled and San Stef remains our only return holiday ever, ( 5 times now ) Many times we find the therapy of a holiday comes from new experiences and the anticipation and excitement associated with new discoveries, places and people. However , new places don't always deliver ,and like some on here when you have only one chance of your 'therapy spell' per year , you sometimes don't want to take a risk. Therefore guaranteed relaxation draws us back to San Stef. Put simply it's our safe bet, guaranteed relaxation. If it was a top trumps card in a holiday destination game, it would score top marks for safety, relaxation and friendliness. It's the card you would always want to draw.

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni