Author Topic: Greek Deflation  (Read 5528 times)

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Greek Deflation
« on: March 12, 2014, 03:11:09 PM »
Having read recently that Greek deflation improved from -1.5% in Jan to -1.1% in Feb I wondered whether that had had an impact in Corfu especially around the cost of day-to-day items. Though Feb's figure is an improvement its still in negative territory.

With the euro hovering at around 1.19/1.20 I was wondering if our money will go further this year if the goods are cheaper to buy. Deflation isn't a good thing, ask the Japanese, as is restricts growth. I was just thinking about the locals and if the mainland problems have reached the island.

Not exactly a bright holiday topic really, but I bored. 

When God created Wales he was just showing off

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Greek Deflation
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 09:36:29 PM »
Hmmmmm an interesting subject and not as a person or an economist but not sure where we go with this one.  However knowing that most Greek outlets have not increased their prices even though the government has increased theirs on VAT etc so what this impact would be??  Unemployment is still the highest in Europe officially around 28% on a 10 million population. Realistically probably douvle that -  And then unlike UK where your wage bands have been increased here we are now having to pay tax on any monies earned from (my accountant told me today) 0 euros upwards so forget the new UK bands of is it I believe 10K GBP no here its 0 upwards at I do believe my accountant told me 26% tax would be incurred on any monies earned I may be wrong on that until I get my return to know for sure....... so original question will things be cheaper I highly doubt it, its cheap enough anyway and with the better rate from 3 years ago for UK customers do remember we work in Corfu with all nationalities and the other European markets (mostly) think Corfu and Greece is okay (but then is this another discussion re GBP versus Euros for UK) shouldn't affect persons spendings...... example of prices so far .Cigs still 3.90 for 20, wine in a glass around 2 - 2.50 euros, a meal for 2 well anything really from 8 euros per person upwards depending on what you want and where you go.... A bottle of wine in supermarket 1.5 litres of local stuff around 3 euros Corfu is still value for money, the sun will be shining and awaiting all for summer 2014 visitors not long to go now first arrivals being May 2nd

Offline romanza man

• SanStef Regular
  • July 2014
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 10:02:18 PM »
Interesting subject, yes things maybe tight, but our reason for going to Corfu (our 10th year in San Stef) is the friendliness of the people themselves which in my opinion is second to none. The more we return must be better for them. 8)

Offline RedroseMax

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 09:42:41 PM »
Interesting subject, yes things maybe tight, but our reason for going to Corfu (our 10th year in San Stef) is the friendliness of the people themselves which in my opinion is second to none. The more we return must be better for them. 8)

Couldnt agree more

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 09:24:09 PM »
Hey folks don't get me wrong if the euro was 1 to 1 with the £ I would still go. I just wondered if there had been any impact thats all. As I said, but misspelt it, I was bored and had just read an article about it. Would never criticise San Stef as I/we love the place.

Without wishing to spoil it I wish more and more people would go there.....it still wouldn't be too crowded, businesses would thrive and life for all would be better.
When God created Wales he was just showing off

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni