Author Topic: Clean Monday  (Read 9109 times)

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Clean Monday
« on: March 03, 2014, 10:13:20 PM »
 Lesley, you didn't remind us that today is the beginning of Lent in Corfu and everyone would be down on the beach this morning flying kites.When we've been there our kites have usually ended up in Albania.Today is called Clean Monday and it's anything but.People get blacked up and take delight
in blacking everyone else up.There is a carnival  in Avliotes and dancing and bonfires in the main square and everyone has a wonderful time. Wish I was there.

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: Clean Monday
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 12:49:01 PM »
Well the rain held off for the Avliotes Carnival and Clean Monday and it was a good turn out too..... loads of photos for those on FB have been posted by several and I believe its Pancake Day Shrove Tuesday in UK?  Might make some as I've plenty of lemons on the tree.

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 06:33:58 PM »
Well the rain held off for the Avliotes Carnival and Clean Monday and it was a good turn out too..... loads of photos for those on FB have been posted by several and I believe its Pancake Day Shrove Tuesday in UK?  Might make some as I've plenty of lemons on the tree.
Have had a look at the photos and enjoyed picking out familiar faces in the crowd.Nice to see so many people supporting old traditions.

Offline H A S

• SanStef Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 09:37:58 PM »
Hi Lesley were are the photos on facebook please.
Regards Harry

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 03:22:18 PM »
Have a look on Gong to San Stefanos 2014 group and also Corfu Island group on FB also under various other Corfu related groups also some local friends have posted on their own Timelines I will see if I can share any as well under our Vicky Group......

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2014, 06:57:08 PM »
Have a look on Gong to San Stefanos 2014 group and also Corfu Island group on FB also under various other Corfu related groups also some local friends have posted on their own Timelines I will see if I can share any as well under our Vicky Group......
Make sure you pick out the clean ones Lesley!! Not sure what the main theme was this year but they seemed to be having a go at a political party or a particular politician.

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 07:58:46 PM »
LOL yes they normally do , knock the government and various politicians and the current new reforms etc...... all very funny stuff....let me see what I can find for you........

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 01:54:20 PM »
My kind friend Keith has posted some Carnival/Clean Monday photos to my FB timeline.......

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 05:11:22 PM »
Also Korfiates Photography have just posted 100's on their FB page...hope you enjoy......

Offline Lesley

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 06:53:27 PM »
and today shared on my Vicky group page on FB a you tube video clip of the Avliotes Carnival for all to enjoy......

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 09:15:59 PM »
And a great slide-show with music on the Nafiska Wordpress blog:

http://thehotelnafsika.wordpress.com/2014/03/10/avliotes-carnival-2014/

The concluding fiery death of Karnabolos is very scary!

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni