Author Topic: This year's holiday promises.  (Read 28967 times)

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
Re: This year's holiday promises.
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 03:17:37 PM »
Gav's right, this is the best route, maybe a bit longer but nowhere near as steep and on mostly Tarmac roads

It rather depends upon where you start from. Going that way you're also on the main road - the other routes are more "rural." Starting from the old village (Nafsika, Fedra Mare, Anatoli etc) you're better off with the Juice Bar/Church options. The "Juice Bar" way is fairly steep, but very short. The "Church" way is really not hard work. Of course, if, like Waspman, you're on a quad-bike and have descended from the Olympian heights of Romanza, the tarmac road is an advantage, although I've heard that riding on rough tracks helps to get rid of the cellulite on the bum (not that I've got any).

Whichever way you go, a glass of Retsina with the smoked salmon salad and great views of the islands will reward your efforts with a sense of joy, peace and fulfillment.

Offline Dupnica

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 07:26:54 PM »
 Although we get out and about during the day we do tend to spend our evenings in the old part of the village.This year we are determined to throw
 caution to the winds and venture to the "fleshpots" of San Stefanos on The Strip,perhaps see a tribute act!
 I say this now,while I'm feeling brave,but I bet we'll get as far as Barras where it starts to get a bit lively and we'll turn tail and head back to the peace and quiet where we can chat to friends over a drink.Boring aren't we?

Offline stressed0506

• SanStef FANATIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 08:28:19 PM »
As has been said on this site so many times, everything is so personal, however just an observation ......with regard to Ozzie Oils and bbq night.I love this place and think Kery's singing is as fantastic as the food there. The welcome is always warm as well! I have attended bbq nights for many years now and had a really good night. However last year I went along and found that there was a quiz going on after the food service and before  Kerry sang. I found the style of this particular quiz very intrusive and it really spoiled our evening there. ( I am normally a very happy quizzer!)  It's just an observation, but it was sufficiently bad to make us cancel our booking for the bbq the following week. I would still thoroughly recommend this restaurant and think it is well worth a visit or two, but unless you are happy with an experience which is a little more Thomas Bay than the original Ozzie Oils maybe avoid the bbq night. Then again ... if that's your thing it may well be an added attraction for you.

Offline Jacksi

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 11:22:13 PM »
We're going to try to eat in some of the tavernas we've missed in the last four visits: Fantasea and Evino's to start with.

We ate in both those last time and looking forward to doing so again!  Also looking forward to meeting up again with you guys!!  Will be fun. 

We (well my intention anyway) intend to eat at all the beach restaurants for lunch and walk over to Arillas (can't remember how to spell this) oh and try to walk up to Romanza more than once thus time without nearly having a heart attack on the way up!! 

Offline Terri

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2014, 02:49:19 PM »
Talking of walks, is there a map of the area that show walks on a website, or to purchase anywhere?  Thanks.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2014, 03:26:16 PM »
The Marengo book is great - go to:

http://www.sanstefanos.co.uk/local-walks

Of course you can just pop into San Stefanos Travel, where a beautiful woman will tell you where to go!

Offline Terri

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2014, 06:02:49 PM »
Thanks Jimbo!

Offline RedroseMax

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2014, 09:40:51 PM »
Definately Akrotiri, only downside with going in August is it can be too Hot,training now for it!
Also going to visit the Illias in Avliotes, Ozzy Oil and Boat trip to Errikoussa.
Looking forward also to Perros,Barras and Yannis grill,followed by lazy nights in Bar 38 and Athens bar.

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2014, 03:19:47 AM »
We're always saying what we'll do: hire a car and drive around the island, visit St George's Bay, jog along the surf at 6 in the morning, and so on.

After 48 hours of "acclimatisation" we're so chilled-out we frankly can't be bothered. That is the magic of the place. We're staying at the wonderful Nafsika again in July, and I know that there will be days when we won't be arsed to walk the thirty yards to the beach. Go with ambitions - but be prepared to dump them in the face of overwhelming laziness!!!!

Offline spikeyb

• SanStef Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2014, 10:37:10 AM »
We're always saying what we'll do: hire a car and drive around the island, visit St George's Bay, jog along the surf at 6 in the morning, and so on.

After 48 hours of "acclimatisation" we're so chilled-out we frankly can't be bothered. That is the magic of the place. We're staying at the wonderful Nafsika again in July, and I know that there will be days when we won't be arsed to walk the thirty yards to the beach. Go with ambitions - but be prepared to dump them in the face of overwhelming laziness!!!!
we are going to  hire a car this year, last time we hired a quad bike, we stay at the Romanza and last time we went I got up early walked down to the beach and right to the harbour then back throuh the town was lovely walking through the town so early,  the only people I saw was at the bakers  :)

Offline Terri

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2014, 12:17:31 PM »
Looks like we might overlap by a few days Jimbo - see you there!

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2014, 01:47:49 PM »
Terri - Brilliant. 11th to 25th.

Offline Terri

• SanStef Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2014, 02:10:24 PM »
Only a couple of days then - we arrive on 21st  :)

Offline Jimbo

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2014, 02:58:10 PM »
It's possible to drink a lot of Mythos in two days!

Offline Tredegar Boy

• SanStef SUPER HERO
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2014, 04:19:10 PM »
Terri - Brilliant. 11th to 25th.

Well Jimbo we're there ay exactly the same time, staying at the Fedra so I'll be walking past the Nafsica everyday. I'll look out for you to say hello. Will you look as you do in your photograph?

I'll be the 6'1" bald guy, approx 16 stone if the diet goes well between now and then and a Welsh accent if you hear me talk. Always walk to get a paper at around 2pm each afternoon and stop off occasionally for a drink or two along the way.

Hope I bump into you.
When God created Wales he was just showing off

San Stefanos

Where to eat Cafés and Bars Holiday Info Tourist info

Local Walks

Walk to Arillas Walk to AG Georgios Walk to Afionas Walk to Porto Timoni